Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Google Chromecast. I have to be on wifi?

Default Google Chromecast. I have to be on wifi?

Ugh. I'm trying to use Chromecast. I go to install the Chromecast app on my desktop. I points out that my wifi isn't on. Of course not. My desktop doesn't have wifi. It's connected straight to the wifi router. So will I really not be able to control my Chromecast through my desktop?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cc.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	7.7 KB 
ID:	6200

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by dbfan2007 View Post
    Ugh. I'm trying to use Chromecast. I go to install the Chromecast app on my desktop. I points out that my wifi isn't on. Of course not. My desktop doesn't have wifi. It's connected straight to the wifi router. So will I really not be able to control my Chromecast through my desktop?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cc.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	7.7 KB 
ID:	6200
    The chrome cast has to have WiFi and you control it through your network. I think you might need your laptop on WiFi the first time you set it up to help in the discovery process. I typically control mine with my tablet or phone, I've never tried using a hard wired computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    The chrome cast has to have WiFi and you control it through your network. I think you might need your laptop on WiFi the first time you set it up to help in the discovery process. I typically control mine with my tablet or phone, I've never tried using a hard wired computer.
    I think I may have figured something out. I downloaded Video Stream and Google Cast and it seems to be working. I'm not sure how it will work with Netflix or anything else.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I have a question about Chromecast as I'm really considering getting it. Do you have to sign in with a cable provider to be able to watch WatchESPN? From what I've read you do, which seems like a load of crap to me. The point of getting something like Chromecast is to dump cable. Can't do that if they make you use a provider login though.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I have a question about Chromecast as I'm really considering getting it. Do you have to sign in with a cable provider to be able to watch WatchESPN? From what I've read you do, which seems like a load of crap to me. The point of getting something like Chromecast is to dump cable. Can't do that if they make you use a provider login though.
    If there's anyone at all that trusts you and has cable/satellite, you could sign in with their info. Parents, sibling, anyone?

I'm not saying I've tried that. I actually never tried Watch ESPN until I got Dish. It should work though.

I've only had my Chromecast for a couple weeks. I'm not really sure how useful it will be.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Didn't make me. HBO Go does, but my ESPN never made me log in.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by dbfan2007 View Post
    If there's anyone at all that trusts you and has cable/satellite, you could sign in with their info. Parents, sibling, anyone?

I'm not saying I've tried that. I actually never tried Watch ESPN until I got Dish. It should work though.

I've only had my Chromecast for a couple weeks. I'm not really sure how useful it will be.
    I've used mine pretty regularly, mainly youtube and HBO go.

I can see me using mine to stream downloaded movies.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

We have Chromecast - and have really enjoyed it. Recently got the Amazon Fire Stick, and think it may be a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    We have Chromecast - and have really enjoyed it. Recently got the Amazon Fire Stick, and think it may be a little better.
    How so?

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Chromecast simply flings content from a device. The Fire Stick can be used standalone. The interface is better, more content and access to Amazon Prime (which we are members).

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Chromecast simply flings content from a device. The Fire Stick can be used standalone. The interface is better, more content and access to Amazon Prime (which we are members).
    Yeah, if you're a prime member there's no contest. That does equate to paying for content though.

Yeah, if you're a prime member there's no contest. That does equate to paying for content though.
    There's so many benefits to bring a prime member that the cost is miniscule
    Free Hotcarl!

15. The Following 3 Users High Fived Pudge For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
    There's so many benefits to bring a prime member that the cost is miniscule
    No doubt. It's almost silly not to be prime if you use amazon at all.
    Last edited by Davii; 12-07-2014 at 01:38 PM.

17. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

OB

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

No doubt. It's almost silly not too be prime if you use amazon at all.
    The thing I don't like about prime is that it charges you annually instead of monthly. I had it last year but the annual charge popped up at a time where I was a little short on cash so I had to cancel it. Much easier to budget it with monthly payments.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information