Thread: Mark Cuban: Realignment could help

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Mark Cuban: Realignment could help

DALLAS -- Mavericks owner Mark Cuban has come up with a proposal to level the playing field between the NBA's two conferences.

Cuban suggests a conference realignment that would result in a total of eight teams, including the Mavs, switching conferences.

In Cuban's plan, the Mavs, San Antonio Spurs, Houston Rockets and New Orleans Pelicans would move to the Eastern Conference. The Chicago Bulls, Indiana Pacers, Detroit Pistons and Milwaukee Bucks would move to the West.
    AND

Commissioner Adam Silver has been receptive to ideas that would address the issue of the West being a significantly deeper, stronger conference than the East. One idea that has been floated is to have a 16-team playoff bracket that does not take conferences into consideration.
    full article - http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/...nt-benefit-nba

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Pacers and Pistons are in Eastern time zone. Bet they would have a problem with being in a conference with teams three time zones away. Are there four Central Time Zone teams in the Eastern Conference? If so, the plan might still work.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

No.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Looking at the current 30-team set-up, I can see that switching four teams doesn't work, particularly when you realize that the four Southwest teams would be lumped in the same new division with the Cavaliers. The conferences might be more even but the divisions would still be very lopsided (the Midwest four would be adding Kevin Durant and Oklahoma City under Cuban's plan).

Here's how I would do it. I'd get rid of the conferences and form four divisions of seven or eight teams. Top four teams in each division play off 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3 for a division championship. Should a fifth-place team in one division finish above .500 but a 4th-place team in another division is under .500, that team gets to take the other's place and plays as the fourth seed in the playoff round of that division. Once the division champions are determined, the semi-final round is seeded so 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3, insuring that the finals are likely to have two great well-matched teams.

Here's how I would split the divisions to best emphasize rivalries and ease of travel:

West (8): Denver, Golden State, LA Clippers, LA Lakers, Phoenix, Portland, Sacramento, Utah.
    East (7): Boston, Brooklyn, Charlotte, NY Knicks, Philadelphia, Toronto, Washington.
    Midwest (7): Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Indiana, Memphis, Milwaukee, Minnesota.
    South (8): Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Miami, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, Orlando, San Antonio

A few teams like Charlotte, Memphis and Oklahoma City can be switched around based on expansion or relocation.

So, let's say the four surviving division champions are Washington, Memphis, San Antonio and Portland. The four teams would be seeded according to their season records then play off with 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3. You get a Finals that are likely to be 1 vs 2, not East vs West but they would still need to win 16 games to get the trophy and you'd still have regional playoffs until the final two rounds that would feel like extensions of the intense division rivalries.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

How exactly does Cuban figure that Memphis shouldn't be moved over? They are by far the furthest east team in the western conference.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Commissioner Adam Silver has been receptive to ideas that would address the issue of the West being a significantly deeper, stronger conference than the East. One idea that has been floated is to have a 16-team playoff bracket that does not take conferences into consideration.
    Interesting. Adam Silver, who many people think is the most savvy commissioner in pro sports right now, agrees with my nfl idea of playoff seeding. That records are more relevant than division or conference standing.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information