Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trying to learn to play guitar..

Default Trying to learn to play guitar..

I have a question.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chords.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	6111

Like in the picture above it shows that you play C at the beginning of the singing. Then D at the end of the first line and so on. I get that you play that chord above that word, but what do you do in between? Do you keep playing the same chord until it changes?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by dbfan2007 View Post
    I have a question.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chords.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	6111

Like in the picture above it shows that you play C at the beginning of the singing. Then D at the end of the first line and so on. I get that you play that chord above that word, but what do you do in between? Do you keep playing the same chord until it changes?
    Yeah. Listen to the song to get the strum pattern. Off the top of my head its down, down, up, up, down. Which is a standard folk strum, but I'm not sure without looking at it more. I don't know that song by heart.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Yeah. Listen to the song to get the strum pattern. Off the top of my head its down, down, up, up, down. Which is a standard folk strum, but I'm not sure without looking at it more. I don't know that song by heart.
    Do chords and tabs not usually have the strum pattern?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by dbfan2007 View Post
    Do chords and tabs not usually have the strum pattern?
    Not usually. I looked it up on YouTube and it's down, down, up, down, up, down change...for each chord. That's not accounting for the intro.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Instead of trying to learn songs right away, learn chords and chord changes.

For example, this is what I learned on:

G-Em-C-Dm

G - Down, down, up, up, down, and change.
    Em - Down, down, up, up, down, and change.
    C - Down, down, up, up, down, and change.
    Dm - Down, down, up, up, down, and change.

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Instead of trying to learn songs right away, learn chords and chord changes.

For example, this is what I learned on:

G-Em-C-Dm

G - Down, down, up, up, down, and change.
    Em - Down, down, up, up, down, and change.
    C - Down, down, up, up, down, and change.
    Dm - Down, down, up, up, down, and change.
    I'm a bit lost. Can you go more into chords and chord changes? The chord is simply where you put your fingers, right? There's no specific strum pattern for chords, I think. How do you know how to strum? Like where would you find it? By change, is that just going to the next chord? What chords should I learn?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Learn these chords first: G, Em, C, D

D sounds better than Dm

And then play them in succession.

Just a second....

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Learn the chord, then down, down, up, up down.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

And because I can show off, all this isn't very good:

12. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

db, chord charts dont show each strum, tab's do. They generally won't show you to strum up or down but you can figure that out by listening to the change in tone. Dont learn songs first, thats a mistake, learn chords and progressions. Once you have that, you can play along (basically) to any song. Once you got that down, start learning scales and start shredding like Joe Satriani!

Reading this thread makes me feel shame... my son blew one of the speakers in my stack almost two years ago and I haven't picked up a guitar since

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

Thanks. I'm hoping to stick with it this time. I kept giving up when I tried on an acoustic. I feel like they're just too frustrating to navigate. I bought an electric and amp and it's much better.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Hey mate, nice one.

I was told to do one strum per chord changing after each strum - that way i got used to changing chord.

G - C - D - Em - Am are a good bunch to start with. For some reason, i remember C being an absolute cvnt to learn. Then i moved onto Bar chords....

I am still a beginner as well though mate, so this might be a quite a good thread!

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Just strum how it feels, and then change the chord and do the same when it shows up.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Oasis has some great strum along songs if you can look past the Wall of Sound/Stack of Marshalls on a lot of their recordings.

Don't Look Back in Anger is a pretty basic C-G-Am-E-F-G-C-Am-G progression for each stanza of the verse and then also for the chorus. Teaches a lot of good transitions all in one song. Just a basic, down, down, down, up (quarter note, quarter note, eighth-eight) pattern for each chord. The breakdown before each chorus is a little different F-Fm-C-F-Fm-C-F-Fm-C-G-A#7-Am-G-F (it looks complicated, but it's bar chords up the fretboard).

Intro is a C and an F, twice:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information