Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Offensive strategy against Kansas City

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Default Offensive strategy against Kansas City

I know everyone has fallen in love with the running game this week, and especially after the poor rushing performance at St. Louis, but I think Denver needs to utterly reverse strategy against Kansas City.

Kansas City's offense is built to get a lead and maintain it, not to come from behind. I think Denver needs to come out firing in three- and four-wide sets and blitz the Kansas City defense through the air to try to get an early lead. Denver needs to set a completely different tone against Kansas City. One that has worked the past few years against the Chiefs defense too. I have confidence in Manning's and the offensive line's ability to not allow Houston and Hali to get to Manning that I think this strategy would be the best way to handle this game.

Sure, keep the running game in mind, and even run the six offensive line set later in the game, when you have a lead. Early, Denver should come out firing.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Without Berry, they are going to be hurting.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Without Berry, they are going to be hurting.
    And they've pieced together a cornerback position too. Let both studs they have go. Idiotic mistake. You don't let cover corners leave, especially two of them. Brandon Flowers and Brandon Carr.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

4. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brian Griese

I know everyone has fallen in love with the running game this week, and especially after the poor rushing performance at St. Louis, but I think Denver needs to utterly reverse strategy against Kansas City.

Kansas City's offense is built to get a lead and maintain it, not to come from behind. I think Denver needs to come out firing in three- and four-wide sets and blitz the Kansas City defense through the air to try to get an early lead. Denver needs to set a completely different tone against Kansas City. One that has worked the past few years against the Chiefs defense too. I have confidence in Manning's and the offensive line's ability to not allow Houston and Hali to get to Manning that I think this strategy would be the best way to handle this game.

Sure, keep the running game in mind, and even run the six offensive line set later in the game, when you have a lead. Early, Denver should come out firing.

Agreed. I don't think the Chiefs are made to come back from being down 10 pts or more. They're a running team who utilizes their TE's. Stop the run, force Alex Smith to throw to his receivers and I think we have a shot.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Disagree entirely.

In the first meeting this year Denver jumped out to a 21-10 halftime lead only to have issues scoring and running the ball to kill clock, etc. With our Oline being pretty much Jeckyl and Hyde i think its imperative right now that we do everything possible to keep them from pinning their ears back and bum rushing Manning. This is also the time of year where weather starts to play a bigger role than normal. You have to remember, this isnt last year's team where we are scoring at will on teams. I think if we go into this game treating it like we did vs the Rams we will lose unless we are able to run the ball and do it effectively. No matter the QB, if you can run the ball it makes play action and throwing that much easier and more deadly.

7. The Following 5 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

So in other words, gameplan for the opponent? :p

9. The Following User High Fived PatriotsGuy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

I don't totally disagree, but I think this mentality is kind of what gets this offense in trouble. Just because we like our match-ups against their secondary doesn't necessarily mean that our o-line is good enough to support that gameplan.

I think we need to force some balance into the gameplan early, because if things go awry early with the passing game then it's hard to throw yourself back into a rhythm and you can get forced into a one-dimensional gameplan.

I have confidence in Manning's and the offensive line's ability to not allow Houston and Hali to get to Manning that I think this strategy would be the best way to handle this game.
    Also... I guess I don't totally share this confidence.

11. The Following 6 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Apparently, according to my KFC fan friends, Denver is going to have to triple team Poe. So there's that....

KC has a very good front four that can and will put pressure on Manning without blitzing. Despite losing their top corners (and safety again), they have posted one of the top pass defenses in the NFL... and that is due to the pressure they can put on the QB.

So, expect Manning to run the ball early to try and slow that rush down. However, MO is right... Seattle came out running. Wilson isn't the guy that they want passing the ball 30+ times a game, so they ran ran ran... and couldn't stop the run...at all. Considering they have one of the top RBs in the NFL (possibly the best at the moment).. they will have long sustained drives when they are on offense.

As MO said, we MUST attack their corners... and score quickly on them. THeir stadium is the loudest in the NFL, expect that to be a problem early as the more they are out of the game, the more that becomes managble. Hopefully Manning and the WRs are on the same page, as that noise will make changing plays difficult. We will absolutely come out running the ball....and we will stall in the first drive because of it.

Getting their offense off the field so that they don't have 8 minute drives will be a HUGE need for us.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

However we do it, we need to score early and get at least a 10 point lead quickly. I'm kind of hoping we get the ball first - even if we win the coin toss. The best thing to do to them after losing to the Raiders is get an early lead.

15. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    KC has a very good front four that can and will put pressure on Manning without blitzing. Despite losing their top corners (and safety again), they have posted one of the top pass defenses in the NFL... and that is due to the pressure they can put on the QB.

So, expect Manning to run the ball early to try and slow that rush down. However, MO is right... Seattle came out running. Wilson isn't the guy that they want passing the ball 30+ times a game, so they ran ran ran... and couldn't stop the run...at all. Considering they have one of the top RBs in the NFL (possibly the best at the moment).. they will have long sustained drives when they are on offense.

As MO said, we MUST attack their corners... and score quickly on them. THeir stadium is the loudest in the NFL, expect that to be a problem early as the more they are out of the game, the more that becomes managble. Hopefully Manning and the WRs are on the same page, as that noise will make changing plays difficult. We will absolutely come out running the ball....and we will stall in the first drive because of it.

Getting their offense off the field so that they don't have 8 minute drives will be a HUGE need for us.
    Seattle's issue wasnt their gameplan, it was that they didnt take care of the ball. They could of very easily won that game.

17. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Passing the ball wins games. Running the ball and stopping the run wins championships.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Last year at KC, we won with runs and then deep posts to Decker. I think we will try a similar formula. The DL is healthier than last year but their secondary is ailing and we have the ability to flood a zone with four weapons they can't possibly contain. As long as we run well enough that they have to respect it, I expect the offensive to run some iso routes principally with Sanders and J. Thomas.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

20. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

Score more points than they do
    More Americans have been killed by New England Patriots players than by Ebola.

22. The Following 4 Users High Fived OB For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OB View Post
    Score more points than they do
    You know.. when you think about it, it's really just that simple.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

24. The Following 2 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information