Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Broncos coach John Fox on loss to Rams: "I'm sure fans are upset"

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    No kidding: That's the whole problem, and why we have NO solution left but Richie Incogpsycho, who can't play LG, C AND RT anyway. Every time I think of all the great guard talent in last years draft AND free agency, I want to vomit at the opportunity we missed to fix a problem the coaches had just seen kill a championship.

That's not AT ALL clear; just the opposite was clear all of last season as well as preceding ones: The SB just put it on display for literally the whole world, so even our coaches could no longer ignore it.

Actually, it's EXACTLY like Denver moved Franklin in training camp, because THEY DID, prompting his petulant tweet about it. For a guy who's played worse each of his four seasons, he's pretty pouty. They were never re-signing Beadles; if they didn't value LG enough to beat the $2 million FAR better guards like Asamoah and Schwartz got this year, there's no way they'd cough up the $6 million Beadles is getting.

I get it, man: When the coaches agree with you, they're wisdom is unquestionable and anyone who dares say otherwise is a faux fan; when they—along with current and former players and network analysts—agree with me, it can be called madness with no risk to anyones fan card. Mark Schlereth's not just an analyst nor even former Bronco: He's former ALL PRO GUARD with a fist full of SB Rings who says we should fire all our offensive linemen and start over, but feel free to elaborate on why he, me, our coaches and pretty much EVERYONE but you is wrong.
    The petulant tweet was in April. Didn't know they started training camp that early.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Well, if "It's not like Denver moved Franklin in training camp. Had they done that the team would have had plenty of time to find a LG or resign Beadles," moving him BEFORE camp would've given them even MORE time to find a LG or re-sign Beadles—who'd already signed with Jax a month earlier, so that wasn't an option. Once the Jags offered him $30 mil over 5 years, it was NEVER an option.

So the question remains: Who plays LG if not Franklin? That question STILL remains if Franklin goes back to RT, btw; the only difference is we don't have a chock full o' guards draft or free agency to answer it.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Well, if "It's not like Denver moved Franklin in training camp. Had they done that the team would have had plenty of time to find a LG or resign Beadles," moving him BEFORE camp would've given them even MORE time to find a LG or re-sign Beadles—who'd already signed with Jax a month earlier, so that wasn't an option. Once the Jags offered him $30 mil over 5 years, it was NEVER an option.

So the question remains: Who plays LG if not Franklin? That question STILL remains if Franklin goes back to RT, btw; the only difference is we don't have a chock full o' guards draft or free agency to answer it.
    Well I don't know what to tell you. He was told in April and that is plenty of time before camp to draft or sign someone. My guess is they went after someone in free agency and whiffed, or low balled them, OR Demarcus Ware became available and the switched directions because of the importance of sacks to a defense that needed a RDE/ROLB more than a LG. At that point they began evaluating whether or not they thought Franklin would be better at LG than their options in the draft. Knowing that Elway targets specific players in the draft, we can assume he didn't like any of the options (none of whom are starting now as it is) AND he saw the need for a cornerback because they saw what I didn't see (oh, look, I can admit when I'm wrong. Try it some time) that Bailey was done. He liked Roby better than any guard at that point in the draft so he moved Franklin. The Roby moved worked out. The Franklin move didn't.

Now they CAN'T move him RT, not because he wasn't good at RT, but because now they really don't have an option at LG. But they do have options at RT, however bad they might be.

Moved one guy. Created two holes.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

4. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Btw, iirc, both the G's Joel wanted in FA played RG, I'm sure there's a prefect reason to think those two lesser athletes would be better at moving to LG in a new system as hard as this one than a Top RT who has been in the system for almost three years.

Joel by his own admission knows nothing about the draft, so, whatevs.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Moving from RG to LG isn't as big a shift as moving from RT to LG; RGs may not pull as much as LGs—but they pull a lot more than OTs! Although, speaking of RT: Schwartz started at RT his first three seasons (for Fox in Carolina, as it happens.) As for Franklin being a "top RT:" Top linemen don't break their personal record for penalties EVERY year for FOUR straight seasons. At this rate, he'll have 2/gm next year, but probably not for us, and he can make all the sullen tweets he wants about it (maybe that's why we didn't give Incognito his job: We don't want him turning Franklin into the next Jonathan Martin.)
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information