Thread: Cubs prez: 'No tampering whatsoever'

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Cubs prez: 'No tampering whatsoever'

PHOENIX -- Both the Chicago Cubs and the agent for new manager Joe Maddon have been contacted by Major League Baseball as an investigation into his hiring has commenced, according to sources familiar with the situation.

The New York Post reported earlier on Monday that MLB was looking into whether the Cubs contacted Maddon before he opted out of his contract with the Tampa Bay Rays late last month. Days later, he signed a five-year deal to manage the Cubs.

"We welcome the MLB investigation," Cubs president Theo Epstein told reporters Monday at the general manager meetings in Arizona. "There was no tampering whatsoever. I'd rather they investigate so we can clear our name and move on from this quickly. We're giving our full cooperation and we welcome it."
    rest - http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story...ing-joe-maddon

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

They are 100 percent guilty.

Whether anything happens or not is yet to be seen, but there was absolutely tampering going on. Multiple reports had Madden hired before Renteria left. If those reports were false, then Renteria would still be the coach.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    They are 100 percent guilty.

Whether anything happens or not is yet to be seen, but there was absolutely tampering going on. Multiple reports had Madden hired before Renteria left. If those reports were false, then Renteria would still be the coach.
    I totally disagree with this. It's my understanding the Rays new president of baseball operations Matt Silverman told Joe Maddon he had an opt out clause in his contract if Andrew Friedman left the organization.

Maddon wasn't aware of that clause. Once he was made aware he opted out and was fair game to be interviewed by anyone. The fact the Cubs already had a manager is irrelevant in these allegations.
    Last edited by WTE; 11-11-2014 at 07:55 AM.

Adopted Bronco:

I thought there might be something fishy as well until I heard the interview with Maddon. Basically, he said he knew the organization didnt have the funds to offer him what he was looking for on an extension and that is why he opted out. He knew there might be opportunities elsewhere, but was willing to sit a year if necessary in order to wait for the right scenario. He's a likable guy and he sounded really sincere, and quite honestly...why would he want to stay after Friedman left? No reason not to believe him. But...I do understand why MLB would investigate the scenario, due to the conspicuous timing of everything. I think everything will turn up legit.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information