Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars VII - The Force Awakens

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Yeah, SW best-of lists are all in the eye of the beholder. One thing all could agree with, ESB is the best of them all.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

My ranking of the main battle scenes:

Notes: The Revenge of the Sith isn't include on this list because I don't think there wasn't a single battle that could be considered its "main battle scene." Also, I believe the lightsaber duels should be a separate category for a different post.

1) Attack of the Clones: The final battle scene was the only main battle in any SW in which the attacking force used a sensible "joint forces" strategy. In short, they used the strength of every unit type to compensate for the weakness of other units.

2) Return of the Jedi: The Rebels fell into the Empires trap, then fought like made to break out of it. The tide turned when the "teddy bear army" counter trapped the Imperial troops on Endor.

3-5) All were completely illogical

A New Hope: Why did they have to fly down that trench & relegate the "wingmen" to the role of target practice for Darth Vader? You’re telling me that they couldn't have flown straight at the exhaust port & fired their missiles straight in instead of at an angle that defied the laws of physics?

Empire Strikes Back: Those Star Destroyers were filled with Tie-Fighters. Why didn't they use them to provide air support for their ground troops on the ice plants, Hoth?

The Phantom Menace: Why did the Gungons just stand there for several minutes & watch the droids deploy & activate? They should've charged the droid as soon as they touched down & take out as many as possible before they activated. Why were the droids drop so close to the front line that the Gungons could have charged them & take out as many as possible before they were activated?
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

4. The Following User High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

To me it doesn't get any better than the originals but I very much did like Revenge of the Sith. When that came out I was like...finally this is what we have been waiting on. It needed to get much darker and not so much Jar Jarish. So #3 is a tie for me. Return of the Jedi is still hands down my favorite. I loved the battle with Luke and Vader. But I guess you could say each movie had it's own memorable moments and highlights. Even the worst Star Wars movie would still be better than 98% of the other SciFis coming out.

My list is as follows:

1. Return of the Jedi
    2. The Empire Strikes Back
    3. A New Hope
    3. Revenge of the Sith
    5. Attack of the Clones
    6. The Phantom Menace

Hopefully one of the next 3 can crack my top 3. I really am looking forward to these movies. Just brings me back to my childhood and are my favorite SciFi movies of all time.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

6. The Following 3 Users High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Would anyone like to nominate a character, other than Jar Jar, as the worst character in the SW universe? Seriously, I've never met anyone that doesn't wish he was never created.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

People give Return of the Jedi a lot of shit and I get why, but the first hour or so of that movie (rescuing Han/Jabba The Hut desert stuff) is probably the most memorable hour of moviegoing in my life. I was 7 years old and in my mind seeing that movie on the big screen was the greatest thing life had to offer and that first hour was amazing. As a kid I loved the entire movie, as an adult I do sort of cringe at the Ewok stuff but that first hour is still masterful storytelling IMO.

I think that is still the only movie Ive ever been to where people actually stood and cheered as if at a sporting event.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    People give Return of the Jedi a lot of shit and I get why, but the first hour or so of that movie (rescuing Han/Jabba The Hut desert stuff) is probably the most memorable hour of moviegoing in my life. I was 7 years old and in my mind seeing that movie on the big screen was the greatest thing life had to offer and that first hour was amazing. As a kid I loved the entire movie, as an adult I do sort of cringe at the Ewok stuff but that first hour is still masterful storytelling IMO.

I think that is still the only movie Ive ever been to where people actually stood and cheered as if at a sporting event.
    I think that is a big problem (if you want to call it that) with Star Wars in general. Star Wars is very much something that recalls a simpler time for many of us as we grew up with the original trilogy and it is easier to forgive their faults. I was a jaded adult when the prequels came out so of course that same magic wasn't there but I enjoyed them for what they were. I had friends who had visceral angry reactions after Phantom Menace because it didn't transform them into a kid again. Seeing them with my son really had me reassess them, however, as he sees all 6 movies as one big thing. Truth be told when I was a kid I thought Empire was the most boring because it was the most adult, and I didn't like all the slow Cloud City and Dagobah scenes. Now that I am an adult it is easily my favorite.

Now I kind of just accept Star Wars for what it is - a fun space fantasy with some good morality tales and mythological roots. I hope the new movies are awesome but keep what I consider the charm of the original six which is silly dialogue, space opera drama, cool battles, and space cowboys and wizards with a great sweeping musical score. It is going to be surreal to see my old heroes on the screen again next December, and even stranger to have my son visit that galaxy with me for the first time with a new movie in the theater. He will be the same age I was when Return of the Jedi came out. I already planning on pulling him out of school and seeing a matinee like my dad did for me if I can't convince his mom to drag him to the midnight show.

11. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    My ranking of the main battle scenes:

Notes: The Revenge of the Sith isn't include on this list because I don't think there wasn't a single battle that could be considered its "main battle scene." Also, I believe the lightsaber duels should be a separate category for a different post.

1) Attack of the Clones: The final battle scene was the only main battle in any SW in which the attacking force used a sensible "joint forces" strategy. In short, they used the strength of every unit type to compensate for the weakness of other units.

2) Return of the Jedi: The Rebels fell into the Empires trap, then fought like made to break out of it. The tide turned when the "teddy bear army" counter trapped the Imperial troops on Endor.

3-5) All were completely illogical

A New Hope: Why did they have to fly down that trench & relegate the "wingmen" to the role of target practice for Darth Vader? You’re telling me that they couldn't have flown straight at the exhaust port & fired their missiles straight in instead of at an angle that defied the laws of physics?

Empire Strikes Back: Those Star Destroyers were filled with Tie-Fighters. Why didn't they use them to provide air support for their ground troops on the ice plants, Hoth?

The Phantom Menace: Why did the Gungons just stand there for several minutes & watch the droids deploy & activate? They should've charged the droid as soon as they touched down & take out as many as possible before they activated. Why were the droids drop so close to the front line that the Gungons could have charged them & take out as many as possible before they were activated?

I'll try and break down a few of your questions from what I understand of the films:

A New Hope - The surface laser towers were ripping them to shreds and most of them knew that the dogfights on the Death Star as well as the backup fighters in the trench were going to be canon fodder. By navigating the trench they were able to counter the all out assault of the surface towers into a less fortified area that the Empire hadn't thought to protect. Also in the novelization they mentioned a fighter that went straight for the port from above and got obliterated, while others got caught in the surface tractor beams and slammed into the surface.

Empire Strikes Back - The reason the TIE fighters didn't provide support is because the Empire didn't need to waste the resources. If you recall the blast armor on the AT-AT walker was more than enough protection against the Snowspeeder's blasters and only a last ditch idea by Luke to use tow cables and later a lightsaber to the gut took down two of them. Otherwise the Rebels were defenseless outside of the shield generator which was easily taken out. In the books and subsequent stories about the battle of Hoth this was considered a major victory by the Empire.

The Phantom Menace - Because the Gungans were retarded. Padme and the Jedi used them as human shields to buy them time to take out the control ship. I bet they all laughed their asses off when they saw all the dead Gunguns everywhere.

13. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    A New Hope - The surface laser towers were ripping them to shreds and most of them knew that the dogfights on the Death Star as well as the backup fighters in the trench were going to be canon fodder. By navigating the trench they were able to counter the all out assault of the surface towers into a less fortified area that the Empire hadn't thought to protect. Also in the novelization they mentioned a fighter that went straight for the port from above and got obliterated, while others got caught in the surface tractor beams and slammed into the surface.
    Try again. The tower guns were in effective for the most part, that was the reason they had to launch the Tie Fighters to intercept them. This was a fact that the rebel leaders brought up to the piolets when they asked "What good will stunt fighters due against something that big?"

Empire Strikes Back - The reason the TIE fighters didn't provide support is because the Empire didn't need to waste the resources. If you recall the blast armor on the AT-AT walker was more than enough protection against the Snowspeeder's blasters and only a last ditch idea by Luke to use tow cables and later a lightsaber to the gut took down two of them. Otherwise the Rebels were defenseless outside of the shield generator which was easily taken out. In the books and subsequent stories about the battle of Hoth this was considered a major victory by the Empire.
    In war, you'd hold back some reserve units, but you don't hold back your best weapons from the front line just because you don't want to over due it. The Tie Fighters would've shredded the snowspeaders, resulting in no loss of At-Ats.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    In war, you'd hold back some reserve units, but you don't hold back your best weapons from the front line just because you don't want to over due it. The Tie Fighters would've shredded the snowspeaders, resulting in no loss of At-Ats.
    It wasn't a matter of overdoing it, it was the fact that they had the Rebel's severely outmatched but didn't account for a guerrilla tactic like the tow cable trick or the fact that Luke would slice open the belly of one with a lightsaber.

But, like Lucas and Kasdan I'm not a military strategist just a big sic-fi fantasy geek. I can't really nail down the war tactics of a movie very well. My big question always was why the Star Destroyers and other ships always seemed to be on the same plane fighting each other when you can move in any direction in space. Bring a couple of ships straight up the other big ships and shoot at their undercarriages or something. This isn't an ocean!

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

But, like Lucas and Kasdan I'm not a military strategist just a big sic-fi fantasy geek.
    That's the answer to all of my questions!

I can't really nail down the war tactics of a movie very well. My big question always was why the Star Destroyers and other ships always seemed to be on the same plane fighting each other when you can move in any direction in space. Bring a couple of ships straight up the other big ships and shoot at their undercarriages or something. This isn't an ocean!
    The movie that was the 1st to figure out that ships can fight 3 dimensional was the original Star Trek II, when Spock recognized that in Khan's was tactics were 2 dimensional. Of course the 3 dimensional space fights that we have today are thanks to CGI, but I don’t recall any such tactics being used in any of the SW prequel space battles.

17. The Following User High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Warning: This thread is intended for nerds only

19. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Hobbits?
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Hobbits?
    Get that shit out of this thread.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

23. The Following User High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I realized I don't have Phantom Menace on DVD last night. Can't buy it on XBox. Not at Walmart. Grr.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information