Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Agent Kickers?

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Default Free Agent Kickers?

If McManus had made that FG and Denver wasn't afraid to kick FGs and for it on 4th down every time it changed this game.

Any FA kickers out there you can see them bringing in?

I know Elway will bring in someone.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

2. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brian Griese

Would you rather Ray Finkle?

4. The Following 5 Users High Fived tripp For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Normally I'd be fore being patient and giving the guy a chance to improve, but I don't think we have time to do that given that we are 8 weeks from the playoffs. I'm not saying to cut him now, but I'd definitely bring some people in for tryouts to just see what's out there.

I wonder if Akers could revive his career in Denver.
    Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    I haven't seen anywhere in the news any 5 years olds chopping off their balls.

Quote Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks View Post
    I wonder if Akers could revive his career in Denver.
    Probably not at 40; even for kickers, there's not much career to revive at that age. If we go with a lefty, I STRONGLY prefer the guy Akers narrowly beat out last season. He's just as accurate, more powerful at this point, and the only real issue (i.e. holding for a lefty) is the same for both.

Kickalious: His legs every bit as strong, but he NEVER MISSES (the top priority for a placekicker.) He was 100% in preseason for the Lions last year, including one from 50 and another from 49. The only thing he didn't nail was touchbacks, but that's less of an issue playing half our games at Mile High, and he says he's practiced it enough to get touchbacks consistently now anyway. The only remaining issue is that he's a lefty, and most teams don't like that because if flips the holders stance and motion that they practice till automatic.

I'd rather have practice left-footed holds than have a kicker who's LESS than even money from 40+, and needs a carom to be 100% from <40. Plus we could pay Rugland the same rookie minimum McManus is getting. If a left-footed newbie's out of the question though, Feely's still looking for work, and even an aging vet starter is still nigh automatic inside 50, which is (at least) 10 yds better than McManus. It does no good to have a kicker with a 60 yd leg when he's worse than even money from 40. If you want power, get a punter; place kickers are about accuracy first, power second.
    Last edited by Joel; 11-02-2014 at 09:51 PM.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

I don't understand why Kickalicious is not on a roster. He has to be better than some of the kickers who currently have jobs.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived I Eat Staples For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by I Eat Staples View Post
    I don't understand why Kickalicious is not on a roster. He has to be better than some of the kickers who currently have jobs.
    I'm only going by what he told me, but it's apparently because he's a lefty and teams practice snaps and holds over and over till they're automatic reflexive acts, so they don't want to mess with that by flipping the holder around and sending the ball in from his other side for a lefty. It's probably part of what got Rugland the Lions tryout: They could practice it the same way for him AND Akers. The real question is why they did that but then brought in bums like Henery and I forget whom instead of calling Rugland back when Akers retired; my working theory is "because it's Detroit, and they're morons."

I hear ya though, I see multiple guys ranging from scary to laughable every week and keep wondering how left-footed holds could POSSIBLY be worse. For that matter, it's still legal to drop kick FGs, and his videos include a few of those, so if it's THAT big a deal a team could just have him kick that way and keep their backup QBs hands out of harms way. Oh, well, at least McManus USUALLY hits inside the 20....
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Prater was 5 of 11 in his rookie year from 41-49 yards. Let's give the kid a chance.

I also think we were going for it on 4th down because of the score, not because of our kicker.

12. The Following 6 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Prater was 5 of 11 in his rookie year from 41-49 yards. Let's give the kid a chance.

I also think we were going for it on 4th down because of the score, not because of our kicker.
    The problem is we weren't really a super bowl contender his rookie year, so we had time to give him a chance. I don't know that that's the case here.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Normally I'd be fore being patient and giving the guy a chance to improve, but I don't think we have time to do that given that we are 8 weeks from the playoffs. I'm not saying to cut him now, but I'd definitely bring some people in for tryouts to just see what's out there.
    Problem is the team will in no way keep 2 kickers. So they either live/die with McManus or cut him and go after another guy.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Agreed.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Problem is the team will in no way keep 2 kickers. So they either live/die with McManus or cut him and go after another guy.
    Yes, I realize that. I would not be opposed to cutting him if a better FA is out there. We need to win now, not in a year or two when McManus MAY be better.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Last time I checked, he hasn't cost a game.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Last time I checked, he hasn't cost a game.
    That's an incredibly short-sighted way of looking at it. I'd rather fix the problem before it actually does cost us a game instead of just sitting around pretending it's not a problem because it hasn't happened yet.

And I'm not saying he cost us the game yesterday at all, because we were crap all around, but say he makes that FG then the coaches trust him to kick it on the next drive and he makes that one too. Then you are looking at potentially a 20-13 game heading into halftime instead of 27-7, then who knows what happens in the second half.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    That's an incredibly short-sighted way of looking at it. I'd rather fix the problem before it actually does cost us a game instead of just sitting around pretending it's not a problem because it hasn't happened yet.

And I'm not saying he cost us the game yesterday at all, because we were crap all around, but say he makes that FG then the coaches trust him to kick it on the next drive and he makes that one too. Then you are looking at potentially a 20-13 game heading into halftime instead of 27-7, then who knows what happens in the second half.
    Or, you're being way too paranoid. Time will tell.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information