Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Eric Decker's tweet goes awry

Manning's a bad comparison for nearly everyone—even Pro Bowlers—because anomalous: He's a first ballot HoFer STILL at the top of his game after 15 seasons. Decker won't be playing at 38, much less playing WELL. The average NFL career's 5 years, and the window between rookie "take it or leave it" deals and vet "over-the-hill, one injury from retirement" deals is narrow even for the best: That's the brief span when they can command the long lucrative contracts that make them independently wealthy for life, so the smart ones take it while they can. I can't blame Decker doing so.

There've been many retired HoFes living in luxuy who'd trade some of that wealth for just ONE SB Ring—but probably at least as many who had to pawn SB Rings to buy the car they live in, or surgeries and other medical care football made a part of their lives for however long they still have one. Jets fans should be grateful for one of the few bright spots on a team that's been an embarrassment ever since Namaths knees went.
    Last edited by Joel; 11-01-2014 at 08:13 PM.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

2. The Following User High Fived Joel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    I'm talking about the long game though Rav. Signing with the Jets will cost Decker money in the long run and that's not even including the astronomically high taxes that living in NYC costs you.
    there is no long game in football. . . rav's right. . . dude could blow out his achilles tomorrow-- there's zero guarantee he'll ever get a chance to sign another contract-- getting everything he could on this one was absolutely the right decision. . . second contract is the money one in the NFL for everybody who doesn't play QB-- everyone else is too old to get much if they do make it to a third contract or more. . .

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information