Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where does Champ rank?

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Default Where does Champ rank?

Historically, how far is he down the list of greatest CBs in NFL history?

I think he's a solid top 10 guy, and maybe a top 5, but I can't think of a whole lot of corners right now. Deion, Darrell Green, Rod Woodson, NTL are the top guys who I can think of off the top of my head.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brian Griese

You're forgetting the greatest CB ever to grace the history of football and that is still playing... Richard Sherman.

On a serious note, always admired Charles Woodson, also thought it was pretty cool for him to come back to Oakland.

Top 5 for sure. CB is a hard position to judge who ranks where because teams were scared to throw at Champ for alot of his career. His stats I think are very good and he was shut down. Wasn't afraid to tackle either.

Had he won 1 or 2 Lombardis he would be a clear cut top #2 CB, maybe #1. I believe that's a factor whether some believe it or not.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

Side note: it's a shame Shanahan didn't build a better defense around him all of those years. He tried to band aide it each year and I think Champ probably had 9 or so DCs here in Denver. No consistency, no identity and not enough talent around him. He Bailey been on the Steelers or Ravens defense then he really would had shined.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

5. The Following 5 Users High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Andrew Mason @MaseDenver · 3h

To me, it's Champ Bailey, Rod Woodson, "Night Train" Lane and Mel Blount in the discussion for greatest cornerback ever.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

7. The Following 3 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    Andrew Mason @MaseDenver · 3h To me, it's Champ Bailey, Rod Woodson, "Night Train" Lane and Mel Blount in the discussion for greatest cornerback ever.
    No Deion, Andrew?
    Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    I haven't seen anywhere in the news any 5 years olds chopping off their balls.

Greatest ever.

10. The Following User High Fived I Eat Staples For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks View Post
    No Deion, Andrew?
    Deion wasn't as good as those guys IMO. Biggest playmaker but not the most complete player.

12. The Following User High Fived I Eat Staples For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    Andrew Mason @MaseDenver · 3h

To me, it's Champ Bailey, Rod Woodson, "Night Train" Lane and Mel Blount in the discussion for greatest cornerback ever.
    That's a pretty good list. I think I'd have to go with Night Train for two reasons:

1) He was an UDFA and
    2) He STILL holds the season Int record he set as ROOKIE when seasons were only 12 games.

It still boggles my mind: Guys have been playing CB for half a CENTURY since, playing 2 more games since '61 and 4 more since '78—and the closest ANY of them got to that record was Lester Hayes getting one less in 1980. Not to mention that 1952 was 180° from the modern passing league, meaning teams threw far less and DBs had to be solid tacklers; Dick Lane was a widely and rightly feared tackler.

I'd put Everson Walls in the all-time top 5 also; like Night Train Lane, he was an UDFA but led the NFL in Ints his rookie year (even he did end his teams season by allowing The Catch.) He led the NFL in Ints two OTHER seasons after that, a feat still unmatched, and shares the career Pro Bowl Int record with Deion and—Champ Bailey. Canton has a five year wait for a reason, but even half a decade from now, I'm pretty confident most people will agree Champ's one of the best five ever, and arguably #1 (I just can't get past all the positive asterisks for Night Train Lane.)
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

As mentioned, I think it's hard to measure DBs against each other, since they play different competition, different defensive schemes, their teams have different pass rush abilities, which impacts how good a DB performs.

That said, what I saw with Bailey, prior to the last few years of his career, was someone that could play the run and the pass about as well as anyone I've ever seen. It was his affinity for playing the run that caused him to get the separated shoulder and forced him to wear a brace for the last 8 years or so of his career. If you watched him, he rarely lined up facing the WR, as so many did, instead, he would play off, line up facing the QB, would often look for the run first, and if it was, charge the line to stop the run, and if it was a pass or play action, he was fast enough to reverse and catch up to the WR and breakup the pass, often with a fingertip after a leap, after a sprint to catchup.

For a big part of his career, WRs rarely scored on him.

He's clearly one of the greatest of all times. The best? I have no clue, but certainly in the discussion of GOAT level CBs.

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Champ was the best open field tackler ever. He ranks first on that list!
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

17. The Following User High Fived Bronco9798 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco9798 View Post
    Champ was the best open field tackler ever. He ranks first on that list!
    Among CBs, you mean? Night Train Lane might dispute that, but if you mean at ANY position, Butkus and many others would argue the point, too. And I wouldn't argue about ANYTHING with Butkus....
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Among CBs, you mean? Night Train Lane might dispute that, but if you mean at ANY position, Butkus and many others would argue the point, too. And I wouldn't argue about ANYTHING with Butkus....
    When it came to technique and going low, at every position. His technique was flawless. He rarely tackled high. He was a technician at lower leg tackling. The best. Butkus would crush you , hit you high, low, manhandle you, but Champ had technique. It's really not even debatable.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Name:  download(4).jpg
Views: 69
Size:  11.6 KB

Name:  download (3).jpg
Views: 66
Size:  11.1 KB
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

21. The Following User High Fived Bronco9798 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    As mentioned, I think it's hard to measure DBs against each other, since they play different competition, different defensive schemes, their teams have different pass rush abilities, which impacts how good a DB performs.

That said, what I saw with Bailey, prior to the last few years of his career, was someone that could play the run and the pass about as well as anyone I've ever seen. It was his affinity for playing the run that caused him to get the separated shoulder and forced him to wear a brace for the last 8 years or so of his career. If you watched him, he rarely lined up facing the WR, as so many did, instead, he would play off, line up facing the QB, would often look for the run first, and if it was, charge the line to stop the run, and if it was a pass or play action, he was fast enough to reverse and catch up to the WR and breakup the pass, often with a fingertip after a leap, after a sprint to catchup.

For a big part of his career, WRs rarely scored on him.

He's clearly one of the greatest of all times. The best? I have no clue, but certainly in the discussion of GOAT level CBs.
    Most complete corner I've ever seen. His coverage was flawless and matched by his run support.
    2009 & 2020 Broncos Forums Pick'em King
    2011 & 2019 Broncos Forums Survival Football Champion

23. The Following User High Fived Canmore For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information