Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Where does Champ rank?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Out of the players ive seen physically play over the years this would be my top 10.

1. Darrell Green
    2. Charles Woodson
    3. Champ Bailey
    4. Eric Allen
    5. Deion Sanders
    6. Rod Woodson
    7. Michael Haynes
    8. Ronde Barber
    9. Ty Law
    10. Terrell Buckley

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco9798 View Post
    When it came to technique and going low, at every position. His technique was flawless. He rarely tackled high. He was a technician at lower leg tackling. The best. Butkus would crush you , hit you high, low, manhandle you, but Champ had technique. It's really not even debatable.
    Pretty sure going low is only a "form tackle" in the recent flag football era; traditionally, form tackles go high and wrap up, so the ball carrier can't just step out and/or pull lose, plus going high from the front stops momentum so guys get stood up or halted long enough for others to arrive and finish the play even if the initial tackle fails. It's also safer because it doesn't put sudden extreme torque on joints. Form tackles also keep the head up so the tackler's not leading with his head and compressing his neck, and can see and track where he's hitting.

None of that's to say Champ wasn't an excellent tackler; sometimes defenders must grab whatever they legally can. I doubt anyone ever TRIED to end Bo Jacksons career, a guy just made a diving ankle tackle from behind and, Bo being Bo, he just had so much sheer power he yanked his own hip out of its socket. But a form tackle aims for center of mass, which ain't the legs, and had a lot to do with why Butkus manhandled guys so thoroughly (as well as why he retired with John McCains shoulders.)
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Pretty sure going low is only a "form tackle" in the recent flag football era; traditionally, form tackles go high and wrap up, so the ball carrier can't just step out and/or pull lose, plus going high from the front stops momentum so guys get stood up or halted long enough for others to arrive and finish the play even if the initial tackle fails. It's also safer because it doesn't put sudden extreme torque on joints. Form tackles also keep the head up so the tackler's not leading with his head and compressing his neck, and can see and track where he's hitting.

None of that's to say Champ wasn't an excellent tackler; sometimes defenders must grab whatever they legally can. I doubt anyone ever TRIED to end Bo Jacksons career, a guy just made a diving ankle tackle from behind and, Bo being Bo, he just had so much sheer power he yanked his own hip out of its socket. But a form tackle aims for center of mass, which ain't the legs, and had a lot to do with why Butkus manhandled guys so thoroughly (as well as why he retired with John McCains shoulders.)
    Again, one of the best open field tacklers to play in the NFL.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

Yes. Rarely missed a tackle. Very rarely fooled.
    2009 & 2020 Broncos Forums Pick'em King
    2011 & 2019 Broncos Forums Survival Football Champion

Default I agree he's ONE of the best, but ABSOLUTE best, at ANY position?

Night Train Lane seldom missed tackles either, and—if FORCED to pick—I'd prefer Champ hit me low (or anywhere) over a Night Train Necktie. And Butkus didn't tackle: He destroyed.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

Champ was as good as any corner to play the game. The case could be easily argued as him being the best.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brian Griese

The best part of Champ's game, was the way he conducted himself. Confident and not in your face with the media, or post game interviews. He knew he was the best, and there wasn't much to debate as he proved it week in and week out with his play on the field. He doesn't have to constantly remind everyone that he's the best, it just shows up on highlights.

Adopted Bronco:
    Netane Muti

Champ chomped a lot of chumps

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information