Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Broncos' notes - Patriots Week

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I'd rather see snow game than a cold, windy rain game for Manning.
    The gusts up to 35 mph concern me more than the general 15 mph winds forecast. Elite QBs can compensate for winds to an extent, though Brady will always have the advantage in the stadium where he practices but Manning only visits one week/year. But when you put a little extra on a ball because of a 10 mph wind only to have it suddenly turn into a 25 mph wind, it's still an underthrow, and there's now way to predict or prevent that. Short low throws can mitigate, but never truly eliminate it, and long EVERY long ball is flirting with disaster.

It sounds like conditions will be as bad or worse as last year, Mannings only truly bad game all season, so it makes sense to approach it the same way: Run the legs off our starting RB (who seems to have licked his fumbling problem) and spell him with a much better backup than he was last year. That would make sense anyway: We're facing a D that's #2 in passing yds/gm and #8 in passing yds/att, but only 25th in rushing yds/gm AND per-attempt. THEY have no choice but to pass, especially since our roster's healthier and far more talented: WE have a choice, and hopefully make the right one again.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    Clint Eastwood wouldn't be nervous.
    "Dyin ain't much of a livin, boy"
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

I was at the playoff game against SD last year and it was very windy. I was concerned too, but it really didn't seem to affect Manning all that much.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Hotel report with Julius Thomas

Tight end Julius Thomas talks about what the offense focused on all week and the significance of Sunday's game against the Patriots.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multime...4-c88934a03dab

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    Tight end Julius Thomas talks about what the offense focused on all week and the significance of Sunday's game against the Patriots.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multime...4-c88934a03dab

A very, very well-spoken guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    The gusts up to 35 mph concern me more than the general 15 mph winds forecast. Elite QBs can compensate for winds to an extent, though Brady will always have the advantage in the stadium where he practices but Manning only visits one week/year. But when you put a little extra on a ball because of a 10 mph wind only to have it suddenly turn into a 25 mph wind, it's still an underthrow, and there's now way to predict or prevent that. Short low throws can mitigate, but never truly eliminate it, and long EVERY long ball is flirting with disaster.

It sounds like conditions will be as bad or worse as last year, Mannings only truly bad game all season, so it makes sense to approach it the same way: Run the legs off our starting RB (who seems to have licked his fumbling problem) and spell him with a much better backup than he was last year. That would make sense anyway: We're facing a D that's #2 in passing yds/gm and #8 in passing yds/att, but only 25th in rushing yds/gm AND per-attempt. THEY have no choice but to pass, especially since our roster's healthier and far more talented: WE have a choice, and hopefully make the right one again.
    'Bout time you came down to earth, Joel.

Love to sit at your table and feed off of all your optimism this week, but the weather factor is a huge issue. It's shaping up to be atrocious, but one of these QBs seems to have a history of being, inexplicably, unaffected by it. And the one I'm referring to didn't matriculate at UTenn.

Last year Denver was also the better team on paper, was spotted 24 points in the first quarter as a result of three turnovers in the Patriots end of the field, and ran the ball for 280 yards, and yet came up short.

Meanwhile NE, at home, in deplorable conditions, with the entire middle of their defense out with injury, came out in the second half and took the lead and ultimately the game with 5 straight scores. If there is a better foul weather QB than Brady, I haven't seen him. Brady seemed totally unaffected by the conditions, while Peyton struggled mightily.

Have you forgotton these stats...
    Manning 19/36, 150 yards, 2 TDs and a pick
    Brady 34/50, 344 yards, 3 TDs and 0 picks.

Who throws 50 passes in those conditions, but Brady. Seen him do it in that kind of wind and swirling, blinding snow against the Bears a few years ago.

So yeah, weather will be a big factor. Not HFA, not #1 or #2 pass defense. Weather.

And yes, you should be worried. Under good weather conditions, I'd pick the Broncos. But under the forecasted conditions, I'm leaning towards NE.

You answered your own question: Who throws 50 times in strong unpredictable gusts? A guy down 3 scores with a hollow D and NO run game. Sure, Brady plays better in awful weather than anyone outside GB, but NO ONE throws that much in conditions that bad if they have a CHOICE: Brady didn't, and still doesn't. But our D's a lot better than a year ago; it was better when we held them to just 16 pts in last years AFCCG, but is MUCH better now. It's been a while since Manning played every home game in a dome, but he doesn't have to win this singlehanded as Brady does: We can tear into that awful run D yet again.

Bear in mind that, as badly as Manning played @NE last year, it still took fumbles by Hillman AND Anderson just for NE to get back in it, let alone win at the end of regulation on Welkers fumble. Losing Big Vick (who was playing Porkchops role well until NE dislocated his hip) and our #1 CB was hard to overcome, but we did so by the end of regulation, and shut down Brady cold throughout the 5th qtr: After they spent the whole second half on a rally, Welkers fumble's the only reason that game didn't go into the books as a tie—and Morenos bruised bone at the end of regulation's the only reason we didn't win it BEFORE OT.

The whole point here is that, for one of the few times in his career, Manning doesn't have to do it alone; Brady DOES, to a great extent: He has Gronk and a good secondary, but we have a darned good receiving TE and BETTER secondary, and totally outclass NE at WR, RB, on run D and probably even on the offensive line. If we lose, it won't be because of weather or stats, but because we weren't mentally ready for a team that's always ready. Hillman and Thompson must realize NE will be going for strips, and Talib and Moore must realize preventing catches is more important than making Ints.

There's no guarantee NE or its weather shuts down Manning, but if the rest of this team does the job it's capable of and neither our players nor coaches let Belicheat in their heads, Mannings play won't matter.
    Last edited by Joel; 11-01-2014 at 03:12 PM.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Adopted Bronco:
    Brian Griese

Quote Originally Posted by Runamok View Post
    'Bout time you came down to earth, Joel.

Love to sit at your table and feed off of all your optimism this week, but the weather factor is a huge issue. It's shaping up to be atrocious, but one of these QBs seems to have a history of being, inexplicably, unaffected by it. And the one I'm referring to didn't matriculate at UTenn.

Last year Denver was also the better team on paper, was spotted 24 points in the first quarter as a result of three turnovers in the Patriots end of the field, and ran the ball for 280 yards, and yet came up short.

Meanwhile NE, at home, in deplorable conditions, with the entire middle of their defense out with injury, came out in the second half and took the lead and ultimately the game with 5 straight scores. If there is a better foul weather QB than Brady, I haven't seen him. Brady seemed totally unaffected by the conditions, while Peyton struggled mightily.

Have you forgotton these stats...
    Manning 19/36, 150 yards, 2 TDs and a pick
    Brady 34/50, 344 yards, 3 TDs and 0 picks.

Who throws 50 passes in those conditions, but Brady. Seen him do it in that kind of wind and swirling, blinding snow against the Bears a few years ago.

So yeah, weather will be a big factor. Not HFA, not #1 or #2 pass defense. Weather.

And yes, you should be worried. Under good weather conditions, I'd pick the Broncos. But under the forecasted conditions, I'm leaning towards NE.

That's all fine and dandy Brady throwing for 3 TDs and 344 yards in that weather, however, we were up 24-0 going into the half. The defence slacked off considerably, and what killed us was the turn overs. If we didn't turn the ball over against the Pats last year, the Broncos win, and people wouldn't be over looking the Broncos as they are now. Not because Brady is a god like in this weather.

9. The Following User High Fived tripp For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tripp View Post
    That's all fine and dandy Brady throwing for 3 TDs and 344 yards in that weather, however, we were up 24-0 going into the half. The defence slacked off considerably, and what killed us was the turn overs. If we didn't turn the ball over against the Pats last year, the Broncos win, and people wouldn't be over looking the Broncos as they are now. Not because Brady is a god like in this weather.
    Denver benefited from New England turnovers in the first half too. I think some of us have forgotten that.

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Denver benefited from New England turnovers in the first half too. I think some of us have forgotten that.
    That's certainly true, but NE climbing back into the game after that had less to do with 1 Manning turnover than with our OTHER THREE, just as Bradys many second half scores had as much to do with our many turnovers and the absence of DRC and Vickerson as it did anything Brady did. Except for one second half drive, Manning had an indisputably awful game and Brady a fine one, but boiling that game down to "Brady outplayed Manning" is simply inaccurate, with or without meteorological caveats.

You answered your own question: Who throws 50 times in strong unpredictable gusts? A guy down 3 scores with a hollow D and NO run game. Sure, Brady plays better in awful weather than anyone outside GB, but NO ONE throws that much in conditions that bad if they have a CHOICE: Brady didn't, and still doesn't. But our D's a lot better than a year ago; it was better when we held them to just 16 pts in last years AFCCG, but is MUCH better now. It's been a while since Manning played every home game in a dome, but he doesn't have to win this singlehanded as Brady does: We can tear into that awful run D yet again.

Bear in mind that, as badly as Manning played @NE last year, it still took fumbles by Hillman AND Anderson just for NE to get back in it, let alone win at the end of regulation on Welkers fumble. Losing Big Vick (who was playing Porkchops role well until NE dislocated his hip) and our #1 CB was hard to overcome, but we did so by the end of regulation, and shut down Brady cold throughout the 5th qtr: After they spent the whole second half on a rally, Welkers fumble's the only reason that game didn't go into the books as a tie—and Morenos bruised bone at the end of regulation's the only reason we didn't win it BEFORE OT.

The whole point here is that, for one of the few times in his career, Manning doesn't have to do it alone; Brady DOES, to a great extent: He has Gronk and a good secondary, but we have a darned good receiving TE and BETTER secondary, and totally outclass NE at WR, RB, on run D and probably even on the offensive line. If we lose, it won't be because of weather or stats, but because we weren't mentally ready for a team that's always ready. Hillman and Thompson must realize NE will be going for strips, and Talib and Moore must realize preventing catches is more important than making Ints.

There's no guarantee NE or its weather shuts down Manning, but if the rest of this team does the job it's capable of and neither our players nor coaches let Belicheat in their heads, Mannings play won't matter.
    I think you have been discounting the improvements that the patsies have made and are concentrating too much on just the improvements in Denver. NE is much better this year, as well, from what I've seen.

Their pass defense was a sieve last year, and the year before that. Now they're #1 or #2 and are shutting people down, without any help from the elements, which they may get tomorrow. I am concerned that those two things combined could shut Peyton down completely. But you're not the least bit concerned? Really?

NE is also far better so far in the take-away differential. Do you think the Broncos can count on them coughing the ball up 3 times? Brady hasn't thrown a pick in 4 weeks. Maybe he's due. Is that what you think we can count on?

Sure, Denver can probably run against them. So what? They ran for almost three hundred yards last year. But that didn't determine the game.

That game hinged on the fact that Manning couldn't get it done because of the weather. He was almost completely shackled by the adverse elements. If you don't want to accept that from me, just ask yourself why a guy who had his team go for a 4th and two from their own 28 yard line with a four point lead, rather than punt the ball to Manning's offense a few years back, would ever decide to win the coin flip and give him the ball last year, if not for the fact that Belichick knew he couldn't move the ball in those conditions.

There's plenty of reason to be concerned this week. But that's not to say it will automatically end badly. Looking forward to watching a classic battle.
    Last edited by Runamok; 11-01-2014 at 03:59 PM.

That's certainly true, but NE climbing back into the game after that had less to do with 1 Manning turnover than with our OTHER THREE, just as Bradys many second half scores had as much to do with our many turnovers and the absence of DRC and Vickerson as it did anything Brady did. Except for one second half drive, Manning had an indisputably awful game and Brady a fine one, but boiling that game down to "Brady outplayed Manning" is simply inaccurate, with or without meteorological caveats.
    You completely miss the point here, Joel.

Forget the TOs and who benefitted from them the most. Look at the QB lines again and ask yourself whether Peyton struggled or not, while Brady flourished, or at least played as he was totally unaffected by the same elements that reduced Peyton to mediocrity, at best.

It's just as simple as this.
    Peyton 52% completion rate = well below his career average.
    Brady 68% completion rate = better than his average.

And you think weather was not the single most important factor in that matchup, and won't be again, in all likelihood?

Sorry guys, I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but I am a cautious and sober sort of person and hate to see the chickens counted before the hatch.

Quote Originally Posted by tripp View Post
    Fine.

And if NE didn't turn the ball over like they did, and Denver didn't get the short field, what makes you think the Broncos win that game?

Sure, they may have, but you can't pull a woulda, coulda, shoulda when talking about the Broncos TOs , and then completely ignore the uncharacteristic NE TOs, can you?

The Broncos are a far more talented team than the Pats. It took a couple of freak things for the Pats to win last year in NE. This team is much better than that one. Denver by 10 or more.

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information