Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: No contract talks with DT, JT until after the season

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Elway's blueprint to success: Play football during the season, talk contracts after the season. He does this every year.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 59m

For clarity given old-news ESPN report: Broncos and agents for Demaryius and Julius Thomas haven't held contract negotiations since August.
    Oops. Slow news week, ESPN? I'm just hoping keeping the Thomas Twins doesn't make Chris Harris Jr. an incidental cap casualty. We've got many amazing guys at offensive skill positions, but when I look at the whole roster I can't help feeling it indicates this team will be defined by its defense in the long term. Of course, that could mean we decide there's SO much talent at CB we can spare Harris, but I'd prefer to keep his Champ Bailey Legacy (and resulting Darrell Green Legacy) in Denver for good.

Who else is competing with the Thomases for money next year? I know Franklin's up, and wouldn't miss him, but IIRC we have MANY key players near the end of contracts, many of them cheap rookie deals.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Not particularly concerning, don't need the distraction during the season. Both Thomases will be back. I trust in Elway to get it done.
    Go Broncos!

Adopted Bronco:
    Brian Griese

IMO, gotta keep both JT and DT. I think we'll be saying good bye to Welker at the end of the year.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by tripp View Post
    IMO, gotta keep both JT and DT. I think we'll be saying good bye to Welker at the end of the year.
    for positive, unless he decides to come back on the super cheap. . . otherwise he's gone, as his contract is up, and sanders can thrive in the slot on third downs. . . plus latimer should be ready to roll. . . people should remember that rahim moore, orlando franklin, chris harris and pot roast will all be free agents as well. . . the former two probably won't be back-- hopefully the latter will, on typical back-loaded contracts. . . same as DT and JT-- the biggest money years won't hit until manning's monster deal is off the books, and we're paying brock or a rookie a much, much smaller deal. . . but either way, salary numbers for those guys should be down if not eliminated. . .

also, we can cut talib with little to no cap hit after this year. . . as well as roby and harris have looked, with webster also showing plenty of potential, i can very well see aqib being released before we would lose a core young talent like one of the thomases, or even harris jr. . .

Quote Originally Posted by tripp View Post
    Makes sense, though it raises the question of who plays the slot in 2015. But if this is finally the year Welker gets his Ring... he'll be 32 next year and coming off 3 concussions in two seasons, after which guys like Swearinger and Earl Thomas just shrugged and kept popping him in the head while the NFL shrugged and said "defenseless what...? " Probably time to hang it up while you still remember your kids faces.

Does that clear enough cap space to replace rookie contracts with Pro Bowl contracts though? Hard to imagine it would.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    for positive, unless he decides to come back on the super cheap. . . otherwise he's gone, as his contract is up, and sanders can thrive in the slot on third downs. . . plus latimer should be ready to roll. . . people should remember that rahim moore, orlando franklin, chris harris and pot roast will all be free agents as well. . . the former two probably won't be back-- hopefully the latter will, on typical back-loaded contracts. . . same as DT and JT-- the biggest money years won't hit until manning's monster deal is off the books, and we're paying brock or a rookie a much, much smaller deal. . . but either way, salary numbers for those guys should be down if not eliminated. . .
    Thanks, those are the other contracts I couldn't recall specifically, and if we manage to keep the Thomases, Harris and Knighton, I won't lose much sleep over losing Moore and Franklin.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    also, we can cut talib with little to no cap hit after this year. . . as well as roby and harris have looked, with webster also showing plenty of potential, i can very well see aqib being released before we would lose a core young talent like one of the thomases, or even harris jr. . .
    With the nickel practically replacing the 4-3/3-4 as base set for many teams (including ours) it's hard to have too many good CBs, and Talib has experience Roby and Webster lack. I like both of them, but without Talib they and Harris would be the starters in nickel, so what happens in dime, or if ANY of them get hurt? Back to Tony Carter or Bolden? No, thanks.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Hey if Franklin sucks so bad he oughta come pretty cheap. Amirite?
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information