Page 59 of 60 FirstFirst ... 9 49 57 58 59 60 LastLast

Thread: Broncos Gameday Thread: Broncos vs Chargers 10/23/14

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Mike Carey hacked tomjones^^^^account

Quote Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks View Post
    I could kinda see why SD fans would be annoyed with the officiating in that game.

They really had some huge stuff nullified. Caldwell fumbled--that was a pretty crazy miss considering it went under review. And that end zone pick that was nullified was pretty tricky tack foul that didn't impact the play itself.
    I still think Caldwell's arm touched down before the ball came loose, but the endzone hold on the pick DEFINITELY affected the play: It's a TD if the defender's not restraining the receiver, but since he WAS it turned into an "overthrow" that was intercepted. It's a classic Defensive Holding call: Not >5 yds past the line, so no Illegal Contact, and initial contact was before the throw (apparently) so no PI.

In their place I wouldn't be happy either.

At the same time it was annoying as hell for both sides. Denver had several nice plays brought back--I was shouting at them myself. But overall if the game had been officiated by a more "let them play" crew it would have been a much closer game.
    In their place, I wouldn't be happy either: I'd be yelling at my team to learn how to cover, same as I yelled at Franklin instead of the refs for the flagrant hold that may have prevented a tackle but DEFINITELY nullified Hillman's nice 40 yd TD run.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

3. The Following 2 Users High Fived Joel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    I still think Caldwell's arm touched down before the ball came loose, but the endzone hold on the pick DEFINITELY affected the play: It's a TD if the defender's not restraining the receiver, but since he WAS it turned into an "overthrow" that was intercepted. It's a classic Defensive Holding call: Not >5 yds past the line, so no Illegal Contact, and initial contact was before the throw (apparently) so no PI.

In their place, I wouldn't be happy either: I'd be yelling at my team to learn how to cover, same as I yelled at Franklin instead of the refs for the flagrant hold that may have prevented a tackle but DEFINITELY nullified Hillman's nice 40 yd TD run.
    Since their argument is that Caldwell's elbow wasn't on the ground Charger fans are absolutely right. Unfortunately, Charger fans don't know human anatomy because they don't know that between the hand and the elbow is the forearm.

5. The Following 3 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Forearm/wrist/elbow, it's all the same when talking contact with the ground.

This guy has some pretty shots showing Caldwell down

I suck at posting links or pictures. I saw the pics at milehighreport.com
    Last edited by Nomad; 10-25-2014 at 01:53 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post

Some of the Chargers fans are not able to grasp this concept.
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 10-25-2014 at 02:39 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post

Is this what you mean? http://www.milehighreport.com/2014/1...aldwell-fumble

As on any replay, there are two issues: 1) The call itself and 2) whether the evidence (if any) to overturn it is IRREFUTABLE.

It's VERY close, but also CLEAR the end of his forearm touched before the ball came loose, so he's down with possession at that point. I see why the initial call was made, but also think the evidence to overturn it irrefutable; again, it's close but clear, like a foot clipping athe sideline (as on Hillmans long TD ruled out at the 3) rather than a ball lost in a pile (as on Thompsons second TD.)

I kow what Bolts fans are thinking, but this isn't Cutler Fumble II.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

11. The Following User High Fived Joel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Thanks, Joel.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Is this what you mean? http://www.milehighreport.com/2014/1...aldwell-fumble

As on any replay, there are two issues: 1) The call itself and 2) whether the evidence (if any) to overturn it is IRREFUTABLE.

It's VERY close, but also CLEAR the end of his forearm touched before the ball came loose, so he's down with possession at that point. I see why the initial call was made, but also think the evidence to overturn it irrefutable; again, it's close but clear, like a foot clipping athe sideline (as on Hillmans long TD ruled out at the 3) rather than a ball lost in a pile (as on Thompsons second TD.)

I kow what Bolts fans are thinking, but this isn't Cutler Fumble II.
    There is one thing you're missing. If I have heard correctly a ball moving slightly doesn't constitute loss of control of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    There is one thing you're missing. If I have heard correctly a ball moving slightly doesn't constitute loss of control of the ball.
    That's true, but I thought that only applied to distinguishing catches from incompletes, not whether a fumble occurred. I don't know that though; it's the just the only context in which I've heard that rule cited.

Every time I look at that play it looks perfectly clear to me that his forearm was down before the ball started to move. I don't really get the argument.

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived I Eat Staples For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I could kinda see why SD fans would be annoyed with the officiating in that game.

They really had some huge stuff nullified. Caldwell fumbled--that was a pretty crazy miss considering it went under review. And that end zone pick that was nullified was pretty tricky tack foul that didn't impact the play itself.

In their place I wouldn't be happy either.

At the same time it was annoying as hell for both sides. Denver had several nice plays brought back--I was shouting at them myself. But overall if the game had been officiated by a more "let them play" crew it would have been a much closer game.
    I would be annoyed as well but there's a bunch of them that think that's why they lost.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

That's true, but I thought that only applied to distinguishing catches from incompletes, not whether a fumble occurred. I don't know that though; it's the just the only context in which I've heard that rule cited.
    I'm just telling you what the head of officiating said.

19. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

I'm just telling you what the head of officiating said.
    Fair enough then; I guess it makes sense (we can't expect every ball carrier to hold the ball perfectly motionless at all times) but it does make fumbles a lot less cut and dried.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by I Eat Staples View Post
    Every time I look at that play it looks perfectly clear to me that his forearm was down before the ball started to move. I don't really get the argument.
    At this moment, Mike Carey is still looking for that minute movement of the ball before the wrist/forearm/elbow was down

22. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

I would be annoyed as well but there's a bunch of them that think that's why they lost.
    Living in SD, I haven't run into any fans in my realm that thought it was game-deciding. Annoyed but not conspiratorial.

I don't doubt they exist, but that's going too far. I had a few reservations going into the game, but it's clear officials or no officials SD got outplayed by a better team.

Denver with a defense is a dangerous thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    I haven't seen anywhere in the news any 5 years olds chopping off their balls.

24. The Following User High Fived tomjonesrocks For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information