Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this what it felt like 20 years ago?

Default Is this what it felt like 20 years ago?

We have a great team and probably the best quaterback ever. Is this what it felt like to watch Elway and the Broncos back in the day?

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

No season will ever duplicate the 1998-1999 season.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

It was a little different for the 97 season. The Broncos weren't really dominant. In fact, they didn't even win the division. The magic really started in the playoffs. If I remember correctly it was the "revenge" tour and the Broncos had to play Jacksonville who upset our boys the year before. Denver whipped 'em pretty good. The '98 team was just unbelievable. You could actually tell that teams were intimidated by them. It was amazing.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by dbfan2007 View Post
    We have a great team and probably the best quaterback ever. Is this what it felt like to watch Elway and the Broncos back in the day?
    97/98 Broncos were relentless. It was a scoring machine with a decent defense. Our offense scored enough to keep other teams one dimensional and we could dictate the flow of most games. The offensive cast was quite special lead by Elway, with Davis, Sharpe, Rod, and Eddie Mac!! Romanowski and Atwater led the Defense for the most part with some decent players surrounding them. We added Neil Smith for our Super Bowl run and he did a great job coming over from the Chiefs. It was a special team with special players. The O line was the smallest in the league but ran a zone blocking scheme that Davis really excelled in. His cutbacks were a thing of beauty.

Nothing will ever feel like 97 98 for me. I've been a fan since 1976 and suffered through horrible Super Bowl losses one after another. You had to feel those losses to really appreciate the Broncos in the late 90's. You hurt with them ever year. That one win in the Super Bowl was all you eve wanted. I cried like a little bitch when they won. But, I didn't care. I was one happy dude. That first one was really special , the second one was a bonus.

If yo go back to the late 80's "The Drive" and "The Fumble" games were pretty special as well against Cleveland. I always said we were just the whipping boys in the 80's Super Bowls. No AFC teams were going to win against the Giants, the 49'ers, and the Skins those years. Elway carried those teams with The 3 Amigos, Jackson, Nattiel, and Johnson. Our defenses were pretty bad when we got to the Super Bowls. i remember cussing Tony Lilly and those guys in those Super Bowls. They gave the offense no help at all and we got smoked in those games. That's why those Super Bowls were so special in 97/98.

Anyway, could talk about those days forever!!
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

5. The Following 12 Users High Fived Bronco9798 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

That 97-98 Broncos team was one of the best ever. It was that dominant. I don't think this team is at that level, but it's damn good.

7. The Following 7 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by spikerman View Post
    It was a little different for the 97 season. The Broncos weren't really dominant. In fact, they didn't even win the division. The magic really started in the playoffs. If I remember correctly it was the "revenge" tour and the Broncos had to play Jacksonville who upset our boys the year before. Denver whipped 'em pretty good. The '98 team was just unbelievable. You could actually tell that teams were intimidated by them. It was amazing.
    The Chiefs playoff game was played in the ice and we won 14-10 if I remember. I remember Howard Griffith and Eddie Mac making big plays down the stretch in that one.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

9. The Following 3 Users High Fived Bronco9798 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by spikerman View Post
    Broncos finished that season 12-4. They were still pretty dominant.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived Bronco9798 For This Post:

Do they more resemble the mid or early 90s Broncos?

Obviously, with hindsight, we know who won the Super Bowl and who didn't. Try not to think about that, since we don't know if this team will or won't.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Do they more resemble the mid or early 90s Broncos?

Obviously, with hindsight, we know who won the Super Bowl and who didn't. Try not to think about that, since we don't know if this team will or won't.
    I don't think so at all. Broncos were a dominating running team, but everybody was that was any good. It was a running back league back then. You didn't have all the spread formations, slot receivers, etc., You basically had a RB, a FB, 2 WR's, and a TE. Occasionally you lined up 3 WR's. But, noting like today. And there was none of this defensive pass interference and defensive holding like you see today.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived Bronco9798 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

20 years ago was 1994. I had to double check some of my facts @ pro-football-reference.com, but I did immediately recall that I believed at the time Elway was over the hill. I couldn't recall if Maddox, drafted to be Elway's successor, was still on the team. However, after 2 years of failing to beat out Elway, he demanded to be made the 1st string or be traded. I verified that we traded him after the '93 season, & went 7-9 in '94. That was our 2nd & last season with Wade Phillips as HC. I still remember telling a friend that the Broncos were about to go through a stretch of some very bad years.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

16. The Following User High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

The 97-98 teams had a different makeup. The defense was less talented but the scheme was phenomenal and they had a great mix of on field personalities. The offense was special. They would get a lead and then break their opponents will by running when everyone and their mother knew they were going to run. There wasn't a darn thing anyone could do about it. Teams would put 10 in the box and the Broncos would still run the ball down their throats.

This team is probably more talented overall. The 97-98 teams only weakness was on defense. They were still good enough to get it done though. This team has problems on the Oline, which was the strength of the championship teams. The 97-98 teams had nowhere near the pass rush that this team does, but it wasn't a passing league then.

To answer the OP, this doesn't feel like it did then, but we still have a championship caliber team.

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    The 97-98 teams had a different makeup. The defense was less talented but the scheme was phenomenal and they had a great mix of on field personalities. The offense was special. They would get a lead and then break their opponents will by running when everyone and their mother knew they were going to run. There wasn't a darn thing anyone could do about it. Teams would put 10 in the box and the Broncos would still run the ball down their throats.

This team is probably more talented overall. The 97-98 teams only weakness was on defense. They were still good enough to get it done though. This team has problems on the Oline, which was the strength of the championship teams. The 97-98 teams had nowhere near the pass rush that this team does, but it wasn't a passing league then.

To answer the OP, this doesn't feel like it did then, but we still have a championship caliber team.
    Is the excitement similar?

No, simply because the Broncos were one of those teams that had NEVER won a championship and the fans were hungrier. Watching games in the south stands was an experience in itself. The coaching on that team was the best in the league. I think the excitement is just a bit more tempered now, because of the coaching staff and the run game. Don't get me wrong, these are still great times to be a Broncos fan and this team will be in the super bowl again. That first championship is always extra special though.

21. The Following 7 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    That 97-98 Broncos team was one of the best ever. It was that dominant. I don't think this team is at that level, but it's damn good.
    *98-99

Sorry...

23. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Like Ziggy said, the 1st one is most special. This is your 1st, the excitement for you now is probably the same as it was for us then.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

25. The Following 2 Users High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information