Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Right Tackle Is a MESS

Default Mannings quick reads and releases have long been making most of our linemen look far better than they are

Remember when Beadles STARTED the 2012 PRO BOWL, then parlayed it into a $30 million contract because the Jags looked at his resume instead of tape of the Super Bowl?

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Franklin does one thing at left guard that is critical to Manning's success. He keeps players from collapsing the pocket right into Manning's face. That far more critical than keeping a player from coming around the edge on Manning's right side. Manning can get rid of the ball with the rush coming around the edge. Manning can adjust to pressure from the right corner far better than pressure up the middle.
    That's a very good point, and it's not like Franklin was blowing people away at RT ANY of the 3 seasons he started there. He and Clark are very similar: Great strength against bull rushers, but turnstiles against nimble guys with a quick first step. That immobility makes Franklin a bad pulling G, but had ALREADY made him a poor RT, so disrupting the line to put him back there FILLS NO holes, just SHUFFLES two. There's a good argument we did that by moving him in the first place, but we can't just shuffle the line every other week and expect all five guys to work in harmony.

Franklin's strength gives good line surge our guards have long and sorely lacked, and keeps DTs from canning him like they routinely did Beadles. The downside is LBs can get around him far easier than they did Beadles; it'd be really nice one of these days to eliminate one liability at G or RB without simply swapping it for another, but "there's always next year." Just don't tell that to PFM, who's quick to remind everyone breaking NFL career records "means I'm getting old."

Quote Originally Posted by 7DnBrnc53 View Post
    What about Ben Garland, shouldn't he be put at LG, with Franklin back at RT?
    Still don't have much faith in a converted DT who entered the league late due to military service; I know he's never started, but has he ever played a regular season DOWN? I'd be more inclined to go with Montgomery, though I think we mainly brought him in to backup Ramirez at C. Our dearth of interior linemen is at least half the reason Franklin moved.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    Ramirez seems to have regressed this year. I'm not even sure where we found this Cornish ham. Didn't we draft a swing lineman named Schumacher who was an OT at Michigan? Where is he?
    Sounds like Schofield's whom you have in mind (kinda like Cornish instead of Cornick? ) and GOOD OTs don't last till the 3rd round, let alone the PENULTIMATE 3rd round pick; that's practically an early 4th round pick: A decent G might last that long (some did) but an OT? Too many teams need too many for ALL of them to reject a good one 3 times each. Sadly, Denver seems to have learned that lesson too well, because we were already overflowing with OTs when we picked Schofield, but our Gs were and remain in short supply: After Vasquez, a failed RT's the best G we have.

We'd rather draft a (very) late 3rd round OT and sign an UDFA OT off two other teams' practice squads than draft a G AT ALL; sad. Reminds me of when Bud Adams insisted on drafting HoF Gs and turning them into OTs; I suspect I remember that better than Warren Moon does some days....
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

It was a mistake to move Franklin.

Ramirez has kind of sucked so far. Don't we still have Montgomery? Shouldn't we give him a try? Vasquez hasn't been his usual self either, but I'm hoping that's self correcting.

I'm not sure what to think about Franklin; I could go either way, but they're experimenting with Cornick at RT, so let's see how that goes for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    I think the kid had his first game as a starter at RT, and had one bad whiff that made a stand-out whiff (it was bad)....but it's too quick to simply start throwing out the panic button and screaming for replacements. That job is reserved for coach Joel, who is obviously more qualified to talk on this matter.
    I had an insomniac 10-month-old, so only caught some of the second half, but that take sounds like what I saw when I could look: His first NFL start "started" shaky, but I didn't hear his name much int he second half, and if he'd been face-planting to give up sacks and/or get Hillman/Thompson creamed, I figure the guys paid to treat us like we're blind would've told me.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    Scofield hasn't even sniffed starting action, been inactive.
    He must not be impressing--not surprising though as he was a head-scratching project pick to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    I haven't seen anywhere in the news any 5 years olds chopping off their balls.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Yeah, but it was a mistake to NOT move him, too, so what are ya gonna do?
    He got moved for one bad game. Overreacting to that game, as you do quite often, is stupid. And the Broncos did a stupid thing when they moved a RT who had a very good season by any metric except Joel-thought.

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    It was a mistake to move Franklin.
    Yeah, but it was a mistake to NOT move him, too, so what are ya gonna do?

Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Ramirez has kind of sucked so far. Don't we still have Montgomery? Shouldn't we give him a try? Vasquez hasn't been his usual self either, but I'm hoping that's self correcting.

I'm not sure what to think about Franklin; I could go either way, but they're experimenting with Cornick at RT, so let's see how that goes for now.
    He's still on ESPNs depth chart. I don't know if it's Franklin or Ramirez blowing blocks (though I have enough faith in Vasquez to think that problem could be solved by having BOTH of them run a double team like Ramirez did well with Beadles last year) but, IIRC, Jaded said Montgomery has starting G as well as C experience, so I wouldn't mind seeing him take the spot of whichever of Franklin/Ramirez is doing worst. The two problems are: 1) We've already screwed with the delicate line chemistry plenty and 2) I don't want to screw with Mannings snaps (then again: Ramirez....)

He got moved for one bad game. Overreacting to that game, as you do quite often, is stupid. And the Broncos did a stupid thing when they moved a RT who had a very good season by any metric except Joel-thought.
    Speed rushers gave O trouble. I liked that they have experimented with it, but I wouldn't throw a fit if they moved him back, I just don't know who'd play guard. Seems like Denver is thin on interior line guys looking at the current roster.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

He got moved because he was an awful pass blocker for 54 games, not 1. Okay, there were a few decent ones, but they were the exception rather than rule, and I'm not the first to say so even in this thread. When we first drafted him all I heard was "Sure he sucks, but he's a rookie; give him time to develop." Fine: It's been 3 full years (and counting.) Time's up, dude: Super Bowl or bust. Looks like bust for him.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    It's been 3 full years (and counting.) Time's up, dude: Super Bowl or bust. Looks like bust for him.
    Let me know when the coaches bench Franklin.

He didn't suck. He was an ok RT. He certainly isn't a bust. I think the team likes what they see in him at guard.

I also don't see the logic in saying SB or bust for a player and declaring him a bust based on the lack of SB. Going by that logic there are a lot of players that are busts.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Speed rushers gave O trouble. I liked that they have experimented with it, but I wouldn't throw a fit if they moved him back, I just don't know who'd play guard. Seems like Denver is thin on interior line guys looking at the current roster.
    Robert Mathis and the Seahawks defense gave him trouble. 2/19 is a small percentage to move a guy inside, and replace him with a backup, who then failed.

The whole line experiment has just been bad.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    He didn't suck. He was an ok RT. He certainly isn't a bust. I think the team likes what they see in him at guard.

I also don't see the logic in saying SB or bust for a player and declaring him a bust based on the lack of SB. Going by that logic there are a lot of players that are busts.

The brilliance of Joel.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Robert Mathis and the Seahawks defense gave him trouble. 2/19 is a small percentage to move a guy inside, and replace him with a backup, who then failed.

You're very irrational on this topic. Franklin's ceiling was clearly limited at RT. He isn't effective in pass pro when he's isolated out there. It wasn't because he struggled in two games.

Just because we didn't immediately have a great RT to plug in doesn't make the move a failure. It just means that we need to continue to work on RT.

If anything, the experiment was moving Franklin to RT and that proved to not work.

16. The Following 4 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Tough to argue that because as you said, those were the two games that stuck out in my mind the most.

I think the thought in moving O to guard was to try to get the best 5 lineman out there together after Clark played surprisingly well last year. I don't blame them for trying.

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information