Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Ronnie Hillman is the guy

Default Ronnie Hillman is the guy

For a quarterback who hasn't been in Denver all that long, Peyton Manning sure has gone through his share of starting running backs.

Willis McGahee. Knowshon Moreno. Montee Ball. Ronnie Hillman.

Wait a minute. Ronnie Hillman?

"Ronnie has played at different times, in different amounts, but when you're the starting back and running out there in pregame warm-ups as a starting back, it's a different hat that you wear," said Manning, who is but a quarter of the way through his third season in Denver. "There's no question he has a burst that is pretty unique when he gets the ball in his hands. It's our job to give him space."
    http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...-produce-first
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

I don't think Hillman is nearly as bad as you are trying to make him sound to be.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

I'm not saying he's bad (I frankly think he's average, neither good NOR bad, but that's just MHO.) I'm saying our only alternatives are a sophomore UDFA who wasn't even active most games last year or a couple rookie UDFAs who've only been active one game BETWEEN them so far. In the land of the lame, the one-legged RB is king. I still have high hopes for Thompson because I think his hard-nosed style fits our lines run blocking abilities, but with Ball hurt Hillman was our only realistic option. Again, that doesn't make him good NOR bad: It makes him the default starter.

If nothing else, Hillman knows our complex offense far better than a couple rookies, a second year guy or anyone off waivers, and we need someone ready next Sunday, not next month.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Adopted Bronco:
    Brian Griese

I don't think Hillman was ever drafted to be the #1 back. I was always under the impression he was supposed to be a Darren Sproles type back to compliment a guy like McGahee. I don't care who starts at the RB for us on Sunday because I think the difference between Hillman and Cj/Juwan is 5 or 6 Carries.

6. The Following User High Fived tripp For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tripp View Post
    I don't think Hillman was ever drafted to be the #1 back. I was always under the impression he was supposed to be a Darren Sproles type back to compliment a guy like McGahee. I don't care who starts at the RB for us on Sunday because I think the difference between Hillman and Cj/Juwan is 5 or 6 Carries.
    I think so to. I don't think Hillman is built to be a "bell cow" type of guy. At the same time, he's shown the ability to run through tackles and around the end. I wouldn't want him to be a guy that I would rely on to carry the ball 30 times a game, but I like the speed he offers from that position.

8. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I've been saying since the preseason that Hillman is much improved this year. He's done nothing so far to dissuade me of that notion.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I like the fact that Hillman has worked hard and not given up. He could of thrown the towel in a few times and went and sold cell phones. He has stuck with it, worked hard, and he's ready to give it a go. More times than not hard work pays off. And I also picked him up on the waiver wire in my fantasy football league. :-)
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

I've always liked Hillman. Honestly we probably wouldn't be in this situation if he didn't have some untimely fumbles. He would have already been above ball on the depth chart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I want to be sympathetic, but one should not have sympathy for inauthentic sorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Its like Save the Rainforest. People aren't saying, 'F**ck those other forests', its just that this particular forest is in worse shape right now.

Quote Originally Posted by tripp View Post
    The one thing I keep coming back to is people complaining Ball hesitates and dances too much, Hillman hesitates and dances too much, Moreno hesitates and dances too much... notice the theme? They ALL do that because our run blocking encourages it: It's called BRACING FOR IMPACT. Thompsons "I want THEM to fear MY hits" line, so reminiscent of Jim Browns old comment, fits that to a tee. To get an idea of the difference: Compare McGahee leading the NFL in yards after contact in 2011 or Moreno last year to Moreno THE REST OF HIS CAREER.

Our line doesn't have the quickness nor agility for ZBS stretches, counters, traps, draws etc. Clady does, and Vasquez, maybe Ramirez, but DEFINITELY NOT Franklin nor Clark: Those guys are straight forward power blockers, which is why they're both good against bull rushers and turnstiles against speed rushers. Expecting guys like that to pull (and the LG is the pulling guard on strong side runs) is expecting too much; if we want to consistently run well behind them, it'll have to be straight ahead between the tackles counting on the surge to get a couple and the back breaking tackles for a couple more.

Ball's supposed to be that guy, but we keep doing misdirection, stretch and stuff that takes a while to develop with lots of moving parts (i.e. blockers) even though our linemen don't move well enough to GIVE him that time, especially against fast alert defenses that pour through any hole the moment it opens. It's really ironic, because the classic rookie RB flaw is running up blocker backsides instead of waiting for blocking angles and lanes to form, but whether it's the blockers, vision or insecurity, our RBs have the OPPOSITE problem.

The sad thing is it's completely unnecessary: We don't need a couple 20-30 yd runs every half, just a LOT of 4-5 yd runs every game. Passing's for hitting home runs, and we're loaded with Pro Bowlers who do it better than anyone; we just need the run game to load the bases with lots of singles. There's no excuse for letting our RBs regularly get hit at the handoff when our linemen have the strength to deliver a yard or two of line surge every time so the RB need only manage a yard or two more on his own; three yards and a cloud of dust is fine as long we get those three yards EVERY TIME.
    Last edited by Joel; 10-09-2014 at 03:28 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    The one thing I keep coming back to is people complaining Ball hesitates and dances too much, Hillman hesitates and dances too much, Moreno hesitates and dances too much... notice the theme?.
    Yes, young RB's that we draft spend too much time dancing. After a while they begin to learn and be taught to run north and south. Its why Moreno no longer dances and why Thompson and Hillman had success this past Sunday. They arent DANCING anymore.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Yes, young RB's that we draft spend too much time dancing. After a while they begin to learn and be taught to run north and south. Its why Moreno no longer dances and why Thompson and Hillman had success this past Sunday. They arent DANCING anymore.
    I don't think Thompson was ever a dancer in the first place. He was hitting the holes quickly from day 1.

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I don't think Thompson was ever a dancer in the first place. He was hitting the holes quickly from day 1.
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Yeah: After a while they begin to learn doing what the coaches say and waiting for counters and traps to develop instead of getting impatient will get them KILLED (and benched) behind our blockers, so they stop waiting and get what they can. When every OTHER team drafts a top RB they always say the same thing: Great runner, hard worker, avid student; just needs more patience—not our guys! For 31 starting RBs, patience is a virtue; for Denvers, it's a hazard. FOUR of our last 5 starters were ALL exceptions to the rule? I find that hard to buy—especially when I watch our line as much as our RBs.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Which is why I like him for our blockers and offensive needs, and hate all the gimmicky slow developing runs we call. I can't get his preseason quote out of my head....

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco9798 View Post
    I like the fact that Hillman has worked hard and not given up. He could of thrown the towel in a few times and went and sold cell phones. He has stuck with it, worked hard, and he's ready to give it a go. More times than not hard work pays off. And I also picked him up on the waiver wire in my fantasy football league. :-)
    how did he not give up? just by sticking around?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information