Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Broncos' Elway felt McManus better than Prater in long run

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Broncos' Elway felt McManus better than Prater in long run

While the decision to release Pro Bowl kicker Matt Prater and keep Brandon McManus has been hotly debated among Broncos fans, general manager John Elway didn't seem to have much difficulty making it.

"Long term we felt Brandon gave us the best chance," Elway said before Sunday's game.

Elway wouldn't elaborate but it appears the decision came down to an issue of not trusting Prater, and believing McManus is a bona fide talent.
    AND
    "My plant foot got a little deeper than you want," McManus said about the kicks he hooked. "But overall I was happy with my performance. To me if I bank 'em off the upright I could care less. As long as it goes in."
    full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...an-prater-long

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

If it comes back to bite his ass in the playoffs, he'll take a lot of heat from the fans and the media. But I'm sure that doesn't bother him.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

if Prater was actually in a treatment center this week I'm not so sure keeping him wouldn't have come back to bite them in the ass.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    if Prater was actually in a treatment center this week I'm not so sure keeping him wouldn't have come back to bite them in the ass.
    There's always that chance. Von is on that leash as well. Personally, and it's just me, I keep Prater and take that chance. I know what he can do. I'm not feeling good taking a rookie kicker into the playoffs. Again, that's just me. I'm getting Prater sober, he's in my office, and we're having a long talk and I get him through the season however I can. And then he kicks in the post season.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived Bronco9798 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco9798 View Post

There's always that chance. Von is on that leash as well. Personally, and it's just me, I keep Prater and take that chance. I know what he can do. I'm not feeling good taking a rookie kicker into the playoffs. Again, that's just me. I'm getting Prater sober, he's in my office, and we're having a long talk and I get him through the season however I can. And then he kicks in the post season.
    Well that means they will have to be more aggressive with Manning if McManus is not kicking well. Or they may punt more

Yeah Prater was a badass at kicker. Why not just finish out the year with the guy though?
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

I think McManus might have a stronger leg. He also has the versatility to punt. It will be hard to match the best percentage for FG's from over 50 yards though.
    In Elway We Trust

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

It was just a couple years ago Prater had an off season. He was remarkable last year, but I'm going to give the new kid a chance.

11. The Following 4 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I wanted to cut Prater after year 1, but that would have been unwise. Patience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I hope he has a hall of fame career. He's a Bronco, I support them all. We will be in the playoffs. Could be a game winning FG he lines up for from 53....................to be continued!! lol......It scares me.....
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Prater could kick right now, but who knows what'll happen between now and the playoffs: I'd hate to be audtioning a new kicker in December or January, and going with McManus now gives us and him time to settle into a rhythm and work out all the bugs. Still, missing a 52 yarder in Denver's like missing a 45 yarder everywhere else, and donging it off the uprights from <30 is NOT a good thing, even if we got a lucky bounce. Dude almost missed a PAT, for Petes sake: My WIFE can hit those—and she'd never even SEEN a football before three years ago!

McManus has great range, but playing half his games in Denver diminished the importance of that; left-footed or not, I'd still rather have Håvard "never miss from any angle" Rugland (who also has nice range.) Then again, if Detroit has any sense at all (very debatable) they're ringing Ruglands phone off the hook right now.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Prater could kick right now, but who knows what'll happen between now and the playoffs: I'd hate to be audtioning a new kicker in December or January, and going with McManus now gives us and him time to settle into a rhythm and work out all the bugs. Still, missing a 52 yarder in Denver's like missing a 45 yarder everywhere else, and donging it off the uprights from <30 is NOT a good thing, even if we got a lucky bounce. Dude almost missed a PAT, for Petes sake: My WIFE can hit those—and she'd never even SEEN a football before three years ago!

McManus has great range, but playing half his games in Denver diminished the importance of that; left-footed or not, I'd still rather have Håvard "never miss from any angle" Rugland (who also has nice range.) Then again, if Detroit has any sense at all (very debatable) they're ringing Ruglands phone off the hook right now.
    I would still take my chances with Prater this year. I'm in the minority, but I would. I would get him back on the roster, sit him down, and do what I had to do to get him through the year. We're getting to the last few years with Peyton here and I'm taking what I know I have in Prater instead of a rookie kicker in the cold and facing a long FG to win the game. Again, that's me. I have a horrible feeling with this kid. His FG kicks weren't very good yesterday.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

16. The Following User High Fived Bronco9798 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco9798 View Post
    I would still take my chances with Prater this year. I'm in the minority, but I would. I would get him back on the roster, sit him down, and do what I had to do to get him through the year. We're getting to the last few years with Peyton here and I'm taking what I know I have in Prater instead of a rookie kicker in the cold and facing a long FG to win the game. Again, that's me. I have a horrible feeling with this kid. His FG kicks weren't very good yesterday.
    Eh. He played college ball at Temple in Philly. It probably get's colder there than it does in Denver.

You all seem to forget in '11-12 season, Prater only made 76% of his kicks. His rookie season was even worse.

I'm OK with it.

18. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Eh. He played college ball at Temple in Philly. It probably get's colder there than it does in Denver.

You all seem to forget in '11-12 season, Prater only made 76% of his kicks. His rookie season was even worse.

I'm OK with it.
    I like Prater in the clutch. I would like to see his stats on game winners, etc., Not missing a long one to end the half or missing one early. I also want to see his stats from 50+ I could look, but **** man, I'm retired. Too much work!! lol...
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

He's made 80 kicks from 40+ over 7 years. never looked at attempts. 53 from 40+ and 27 from 50+
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information