Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Anyone had labrum surgery in the shoulder before?

Quote Originally Posted by Dzone View Post
    Some things really do need surgery. Torn labrum, might be one of those things that dont heal by themselves. But I do wonder how many surgeries are done because there is good money to be made by doing a lot of them. The guy I went to is known as the shoulder expert in colorado. He is probably good because he gets a lot of practice on people who dont need it.
    \
    They dont heal
    2012: The Year that Mo Got Laid

Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    \
    They dont heal
    cadavars aren't just good for banging you know

3. The Following User High Fived BroncoNut For This Post:

Rex

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I have shoulder surgery (Rotator Cuff) scheduled for this Friday on my right shoulder. I do the left one in February. Really not looking forward to it and have no clue what to expect. Hopefully it's not too painful and rehab will be easy.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

5. The Following User High Fived Bronco9798 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco9798 View Post
    I have shoulder surgery (Rotator Cuff) scheduled for this Friday on my right shoulder. I do the left one in February. Really not looking forward to it and have no clue what to expect. Hopefully it's not too painful and rehab will be easy.
    Sorry man, kind of painful and rehab sucks. You'll get through it, though.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

I meet my surgeon tomorrow. Good luck man.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by spikerman View Post
    Sorry man, kind of painful and rehab sucks. You'll get through it, though.
    Ehh,,,thanks, I thank!! lol
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

9. The Following User High Fived Bronco9798 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    I meet my surgeon tomorrow. Good luck man.
    Good luck!
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Mines been torn for a long long time, but I have the means to get it fixed now. I meet with the surgeon in 3 weeks but was hoping maybe I could get some first hand experience from you guys here.

Thoughts?
    A little late, but I did. Mine was a small flap tear that didn't actually even show up on any of the scans. However, after three steroid shots and physical therapy over six (might have been nine) months didn't help, he went in expecting to clean up the bursa and deal with a hook on on end of the acromion bone (I had one on the other side causing chronic bursitis), but when he got in he found a small tear in the labrum.

So, he shaved the hook off the bone and was able to just shave the flap tear in the labrum, which was a pretty easy fix in my case. After the discomfort of surgery, the pain and locking sensation was immediately gone.

P.S. Just to throw something out to possibly take some abuse over, I tore my labrum playing golf.

If I remember right, it was the first round I played in the spring, and on one of the swings when taking the divot, I hit a root, rock or something, which kind of stopped the club (I was about a 10.8 handicap at the time, so it's not like I was digging ditches with my swings). Other than the shock feeling, I don't remember any severe pain immediately, but by that night or the next morning, I had pain and soreness in my back, under the scapula/wing bone or whatever that is that sticks out from your back on both sides.

Figured I was just saw from it being the first round of golf, but the soreness and pain (eventually up on top of shoulder as well), continued until I finally went to ortho and did the shots/PT route, and then finally surgery.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Have to be at the hospital at 5:30 am for my surgery in the morning. Surgery is at 7:15 a.m.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived Bronco9798 For This Post:

Have to be at the hospital at 5:30 am for my surgery in the morning. Surgery is at 7:15 a.m.
    Good luck, buddy. You'll be fine.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

16. The Following User High Fived spikerman For This Post:

9er, are you getting the few small incision holes? That's what I was told today. I would need some small holes on the front and back of shoulder and maybe a few other small ones on back if needed. Outpatient surgery.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

9er, are you getting the few small incision holes? That's what I was told today. I would need some small holes on the front and back of shoulder and maybe a few other small ones on back if needed. Outpatient surgery.
    Yea, they basically put small metal tubes into your shoulder to allow the instruments to be inserted. They run a stream of high pressure water into the joint to kind of expand everything (kind of funny to see the surgeons walking around in rubber boots like a concrete worker or similar would wear.

Arthroscopic surgery itself is fairly easy to heal from, what determines how long and pain level is what they do once they are in there.

They used to put in marcaine pain pumps (I had those) that were awesome. Every four to six hours, you would squeeze a lever and it would inject marcaine into the joint, totally numbing everything. This was used to get you through the first 24-48 hours or so where the pain was the worst. However, I think they have stopped those due to some complications.

One thing the anesthesiologist may ask you if you want, and I would recommend researching, so you are informed and no whether you want to do it, is a scalene nerve block. It's also something done to get your through the initial pain after surgery. They identify the nerve bundle going to your shoulder, and then inject some type of numbing solution (marcaine or something similar) and it essentially numbs your shoulder for 12-24 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Yea, they basically put small metal tubes into your shoulder to allow the instruments to be inserted. They run a stream of high pressure water into the joint to kind of expand everything (kind of funny to see the surgeons walking around in rubber boots like a concrete worker or similar would wear.

Arthroscopic surgery itself is fairly easy to heal from, what determines how long and pain level is what they do once they are in there.

They used to put in marcaine pain pumps (I had those) that were awesome. Every four to six hours, you would squeeze a lever and it would inject marcaine into the joint, totally numbing everything. This was used to get you through the first 24-48 hours or so where the pain was the worst. However, I think they have stopped those due to some complications.

One thing the anesthesiologist may ask you if you want, and I would recommend researching, so you are informed and no whether you want to do it, is a scalene nerve block. It's also something done to get your through the initial pain after surgery. They identify the nerve bundle going to your shoulder, and then inject some type of numbing solution (marcaine or something similar) and it essentially numbs your shoulder for 12-24 hours.
    My co-worker had that block but said when it wore off the pain was a MFer. He said the hardest part of the whole thing for him was PT.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotsGuy View Post
    My co-worker had that block but said when it wore off the pain was a MFer. He said the hardest part of the whole thing for him was PT.
    Just think how bad it would have been without the block. All it does is by you some time. Doesn't make the pain worse.

When I had it, they couldn't quite get the right nerve, so only part of my shoulder, along with my neck was numb, so I only got a partial affect. My wife had it done on an elbow surgery, and they were able to fully number the elbow area.

It's a shame the marcaine pump had complications, as that was heaven. It was supposed to be six doses, every four to six hours, and just get you through the first day. However, I found that a half squeeze or so on the pump dumped in enough marcaine to number the joint, and could get it to last 2-3 days.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information