Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Anyone had labrum surgery in the shoulder before?

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Just think how bad it would have been without the block. All it does is by you some time. Doesn't make the pain worse.

When I had it, they couldn't quite get the right nerve, so only part of my shoulder, along with my neck was numb, so I only got a partial affect. My wife had it done on an elbow surgery, and they were able to fully number the elbow area.

It's a shame the marcaine pump had complications, as that was heaven. It was supposed to be six doses, every four to six hours, and just get you through the first day. However, I found that a half squeeze or so on the pump dumped in enough marcaine to number the joint, and could get it to last 2-3 days.
    My co-worker had something similar to this after the surgery, said it was a God send

http://www.amazon.com/Soft-Ice-Activ.../dp/B001ALNM3A

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I had my Shoulder surgery Friday. It went pretty good so far as I can tell. I Started out with a nerve block in my neck after I got sedated. It paralyzes your right side where the surgery is. when you come out of surgery you are basically paralyzed for 12-24 hus after surgery, you feel no pain at all. During that 24 hour period they loaded me up every 4 to 6 hours with Percocet and ativan so when you came off the block you were loaded with pain meds. it worked pretty good. Still soar but not what I expected.

When they got in my shoulder they found the tear on the rotator cuff and oa tendon torn off the bicep. Aso scraped out some bone spurs. THe procedure was scoped, so I wasn't ripped open. It' been somewhat painful since the block is gone but the meds are adequate. I have to be in a sling for 6 weeks then begin rehab. Hope this helps anybody fixing to have shoulder surgery. If you have any questions let me know. stillo kind of messed up groggy hope it makes sense.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

3. The Following 4 Users High Fived Bronco9798 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco9798 View Post
    I had my Shoulder surgery Friday. It went pretty good so far as I can tell. I Started out with a nerve block in my neck after I got sedated. It paralyzes your right side where the surgery is. when you come out of surgery you are basically paralyzed for 12-24 hus after surgery, you feel no pain at all. During that 24 hour period they loaded me up every 4 to 6 hours with Percocet and ativan so when you came off the block you were loaded with pain meds. it worked pretty good. Still soar but not what I expected.

When they got in my shoulder they found the tear on the rotator cuff and oa tendon torn off the bicep. Aso scraped out some bone spurs. THe procedure was scoped, so I wasn't ripped open. It' been somewhat painful since the block is gone but the meds are adequate. I have to be in a sling for 6 weeks then begin rehab. Hope this helps anybody fixing to have shoulder surgery. If you have any questions let me know. stillo kind of messed up groggy hope it makes sense.
    Glad it went well and that they gave you the scalene nerve block. That really seems to help with the immediate post surgical pain.

P.S. Did they actually do the nerve block after you were out, or were you awake have it done pre-op? I had mine done in the pre-op area. The anesthesiologist had a needle hooked to an electrical gadget. He inserted it in the nerve bundle, and then turned up the current and looked/asked me where the twitching was. With me, he could never get the perfect location. A couple times he hit a nerve controlling my diaphragm, and my chest was heaving/twitching with the current. He could also get my lower arm, but settled for something that was the side of my neck and part of my shoulder.

Apparently they have to be careful not only to get the right spot to keep you pain free, but he said that if he had injected the numbing agent when it was triggering the diaphragm, it would have paralyzed the diaphragm, which isn't a good thing, with the need for breathing and all.

6. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Glad the surgery went well. Get well soon.

8. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    P.S. Did they actually do the nerve block after you were out, or were you awake have it done pre-op? I had mine done in the pre-op area. The anesthesiologist had a needle hooked to an electrical gadget. He inserted it in the nerve bundle, and then turned up the current and looked/asked me where the twitching was. With me, he could never get the perfect location. A couple times he hit a nerve controlling my diaphragm, and my chest was heaving/twitching with the current. He could also get my lower arm, but settled for something that was the side of my neck and part of my shoulder.

Apparently they have to be careful not only to get the right spot to keep you pain free, but he said that if he had injected the numbing agent when it was triggering the diaphragm, it would have paralyzed the diaphragm, which isn't a good thing, with the need for breathing and all.
    I was completely out when they did it. they too me to the recovery room to do it and no longer than I got it there, Dr said he was turning my Bronco Tattoo into a unicorn,
    injected my port and I was gone.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

I was completely out when they did it. they too me to the recovery room to do it and no longer than I got it there, Dr said he was turning my Bronco Tattoo into a unicorn,
    injected my port and I was gone.
    My wife had it on an elbow surgery, and she said they didn't when she was out, so they must have changed how they do it. Probably because it is very friggin uncomfortable when you are awake and they are fishing around in your nerve bundle turning up a dial to send electrical shocks. You don't feel the shocks, but instead you get varying degrees of uncontrollable twitching/jerking.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Had shoulder scooped Friday. Came out pretty good so far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shouder1.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	5929

Name:	shouder.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	5930
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

12. The Following 4 Users High Fived Bronco9798 For This Post:

Hows it going 9er?

Pretty sore?

I just got the call and my surgery date is December 10th. All of this build up and pre-op appointment analysis and what not is making me nervous now. I was pumped before but I have to admit all these saftey precautions are getting to me a bit. I know its just to be safe and will be a breeze but there is that little inkling where I may not wake up that is uncomfortable.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Yeah, it's been pretty rough. Can't type much. Surgery ended being a couple of hours. Repaired the rotator, had to repair a tendon on the bicep, and clean out some bone spurs. Recovery has really sucked with pain, boredom, wearing a f****** sling and just the typical healing stuff. Today is day 5 ad im making improvements. Sling 4 to 6 weeks ad rehab after 6 weeks. I basically just sit and wait for days to go by. I'm on Percocet every 4 hours with Ibuprofen in between. Here's a pic of my arm this morning after 5 days.

Name:	arm.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	5935
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

15. The Following 3 Users High Fived Bronco9798 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

I like how you're "innocently" flipping us the bird...

Hope it heals quickly.
    Last edited by BroncoJoe; 10-28-2014 at 09:04 AM.

17. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Day 5 post op. Still in pain but guess I'm improving. Not so sure about doing the left side as quick as I thought. Pretty brutal recovery.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Day 5 post op. Still in pain but guess I'm improving. Not so sure about doing the left side as quick as I thought. Pretty brutal recovery.
    You should look into one of those ice machines I posted in this thread. My co-worker said it was a real life saver in his recovery.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotsGuy View Post
    You should look into one of those ice machines I posted in this thread. My co-worker said it was a real life saver in his recovery.
    I swelled pretty good but was so friggin goofy and tired over the pain meds I never took the time to ice it, which was a horrible mistake. Dude, it's a hurting recovery. The pain is relentless and you have to wear a sling, a button up shirt, and other shit for 4 to 6 weeks. I'm 5 days in and can't friggin stand it already.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

I swelled pretty good but was so friggin goofy and tired over the pain meds I never took the time to ice it, which was a horrible mistake. Dude, it's a hurting recovery. The pain is relentless and you have to wear a sling, a button up shirt, and other shit for 4 to 6 weeks. I'm 5 days in and can't friggin stand it already.
    I had to drive the dude to work every day and then hook him up to the ice machine. Then the PT killed him too, I don't envy you! Here's the like again in case you want to give it a shot. http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Care-Cub...er+ice+machine

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information