Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Run Game

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    This thought has repeatedly occurred to me, especially since unnamed Vikings execs were qouted saying they see no future for him on the team. It sounds like the League's gonna throw him out for (at least) the rest of the year though, so it'll probably have to wait till next season. Maybe we can trade Franklin or Clark for him; everyone knows Minnesota loves blindingly stupid trades.

It would probably take Franklin AND Ball...plus a draft choice.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    It would probably take Franklin AND Ball...plus a draft choice.
    Which round? If Minnesota's serious about dumping him—with 4 years and ~$30 million left on his contract—it may be a case of "get what you can so you don't have to release him and get NOTHING." That $30 million's my guesstimate (via Rotoworld) of his remaining contract AFTER Minnesota eats the rest of his signing bonus, btw; the difference between that and the paltry sums we're paying Ball and Franklin (whom we're not paying ANYTHING after this year) must be a factor in any potential trade deal.

Not that I really expect one, because it's the same old deal: Anyone good enough and un-suspended enough to motivate a trade commands so much compensation it's impractical; anyone declining, injured or otherwise tainted badly enough the team will let him go cheap isn't worth trading for in the first place.
    Last edited by Joel; 09-22-2014 at 05:48 PM.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

So the solution is to trade for a guy who might sit the whole season?

Well, that's a productive thought.

Nevermind that Peterson doesn't fit this offense and Denver doesn't run that offense. Then there's the money aspect...

I have played Madden this afternoon though.

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    So the solution is to trade for a guy who might sit the whole season?
    I doubt we (or anyone) will offer/accept a trade while he's still in limbo, but that may put the kibosh on the whole thing for this year anyway, 'cause I doubt his legal case's resolved by the trade deadline.

I wouldn't mind him in the offseason though (even if I think it's only marginally more likely then.)

Nevermind that Peterson doesn't fit this offense and Denver doesn't run that offense. Then there's the money aspect...
    Dude's a HoF back who has Sanderesque elusiveness with Emmitt Smith-like power for extra yards and goal line penetration: How does he NOT fit ANY offense? Crappy pass blocker or something? He's a pretty darned good receiving back. All that said, I'm pretty sure you're absolutely right on the money aspect; we've got tons of great players in the last year of rookie contracts, so it's already almost a given we lose several next year, and most of Petersons contract for the next 4 years would come with him, so it's hard to see him in our budget.

I have played Madden this afternoon though.
    Which, again, is pretty much where the fantasy belongs, but I can't deny it's a NICE fantasy; Manning AND Peterson, with the Thomases, Welker and Sanders? UNSTOPPABLE JUGGERNAUT. He's not QUITE as elusive as Sanders or powerful as Smith, but not far behind either; he's probably the only back in todays league who could make our awful run blocking effective.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Except that happened.
    You missed the point MO.

Adrian Peterson wouldn't average more than 4 yards in our offense.

7. The Following User High Fived silkamilkamonico For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    Adrian Peterson wouldn't average more than 4 yards in our offense.
    He wouldn't put up with this nonsense. He'd take a switch to Manning.

9. The Following 8 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    He wouldn't put up with this nonsense. He'd take a switch to Manning.
    a thousand high fives to you sir!

11. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

I am a fan of running the ball. Pound it at em and make em stop you. Sadly that is surprisingly easy with this offense. I cringe when I see them line up in the one back. Commentators are always talking about how high flying and aggressive our passing game is. True, but if you squint you can see the ghosts of the run and shoot, the fun gun, and the K gun. A fullback would add to our YPC. Especially if we could find one with a nasty de-cleating streak in them.

Call me old fashioned if you like, but a lead blocker adds to your running game. Factor in the Thomas boys and Sanders, look out... Would you rather have a slow death or a quick death. These modern over scheming offenses telegraph way too much to the defense, BTW the last time the Broncos had a successful draw play attack was with Steve Sewell.
    Maintaining a positive attitude may be difficult, but it will irritate enough people to make it worth the effort.

They're killing me Whitey! They're killing me! - Lou Saban

13. The Following 4 Users High Fived echobravo For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by echobravo View Post
    I am a fan of running the ball. Pound it at em and make em stop you. Sadly that is surprisingly easy with this offense. I cringe when I see them line up in the one back. Commentators are always talking about how high flying and aggressive our passing game is. True, but if you squint you can see the ghosts of the run and shoot, the fun gun, and the K gun. A fullback would add to our YPC. Especially if we could find one with a nasty de-cleating streak in them.

Call me old fashioned if you like, but a lead blocker adds to your running game. Factor in the Thomas boys and Sanders, look out... Would you rather have a slow death or a quick death. These modern over scheming offenses telegraph way too much to the defense, BTW the last time the Broncos had a successful draw play attack was with Steve Sewell.
    Isn't Virgil Green used as a fullback?
    In Elway We Trust

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHorse View Post
    Isn't Virgil Green used as a fullback?
    Meh; Run 'n Shoot with ONE blocking TE and no FB isn't much different than Run 'n Shoot with a FB and NO TE. This offense is supposed to be historys best, but can't survive the loss of Virgil Green...?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Meh; Run 'n Shoot with ONE blocking TE and no FB isn't much different than Run 'n Shoot with a FB and NO TE. This offense is supposed to be historys best, but can't survive the loss of Virgil Green...?
    String 'em up, right Joel?

Of course, this is priceless, considering you spent a massive amount of words on trying to prove why the offense needed to play Joel Dreesen instead of Julius Thomas.

Moving the bar...

The Broncos did EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANTED and then you change your criteria for what you want in order to bitch and spam the board.

Another example: moving Franklin to guard. You bitched and moaned about it for months, and then it happened and you now criticize the Broncos for the offensive line run blocking when they did EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANTED.
    Last edited by MOtorboat; 09-24-2014 at 02:18 AM.

String 'em up, right Joel?

Of course, this is priceless, considering you spent a massive amount of words on trying to prove why the offense needed to play Joel Dreesen instead of Julius Thomas.

Moving the bar...

The Broncos did EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANTED and then you change your criteria for what you want in order to bitch and spam the board.
    Selective memory: I advocated more Green then, too; while both are good blockers, Dreesen WAS the better receiver, but since Green's made some nice catches the last two games I'm thrilled to see him.

But c'mon: Historys best offense stands or falls on VIRGIL GREEN?! That's just not true—or if it is, we've done something HORRIBLY WRONG.

Another example: moving Franklin to guard. You bitched and moaned about it for months, and then it happened and you now criticize the Broncos for the offensive line run blocking when they did EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANTED.
    Hey, I just took up the cry after OTHERS STARTED it, and not because Franklin's an elite guard, only because he's an AWFUL tackle whose sole strength IS strength and it was starkly clear we'll never bring in any REAL guard beside Vasquez. Yet so far, Franklin's not showing he's any better at LG than RT; maybe his slow feet don't let him pull like Beadles (ALL Beadles did well,) or maybe he just can't hack it.

The reality is 90% of my complaints are about our pitiful run "blocking" getting ALL our RBs killed behind the LoS and forcing them to "make the first, second and third guy miss" to get "extra" yards for a 3 yd average, so if I'm "wrong 90% of the time" so are the Broncos coaches, players and journalists all SAYING THE EXACT SAME THING. Guess Legwold didn't get to be Denvers rep on the HoF committee by viewing everything through glasses so orange-colored they're opaque. But just ignore alll that, keep telling yourself "THE PROGRAM IS ROCK SOLID111" and it'll all be fine.
    Last edited by Joel; 09-24-2014 at 09:40 AM.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information