Thread: Bears Marshall to address his DV past today

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Default Bears Marshall to address his DV past today

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/sport...275497661.html

Brandon Marshall will have his say on Thursday.

The Chicago Bears wide receiver was brought into the NFL controversy over domestic violence Wednesday when a woman claimed he assaulted his former girlfriend several times in 2007. (Full disclosure: Brandon Marshall worked as an analyst for NBC 5 in 2013).

Marshall tweeted Wednesday evening that he plans Thursday to talk about the "current state of the NFL. Roger Goodell. Domestic violence. ESPN and using my case to show why I think we need to have the right systems in place before we act.

Kristeena Spivey, a friend of Marshall's former girlfriend, Rasheedah Watley, says she brought the abuse case to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell in 2007, and he ignored her pleas for help:
    “I called Roger Goodell to see if he could speak some sense into Brandon. Mr. Goodell told me that he would look into the incident. A few weeks later, I emailed him with the same concerns. I never received a call from him or the NFL as a victim regarding my fear and concerns. A few months after, the NFL stated that Brandon Marshall would get a 3 game suspension; however, it was reduced to a 1 day suspension by the time the season began.

“Roger Goodell and the NFL have failed me as a victim … How many women will have to die or pass on the abuse from themselves to their children, who will either become victims themselves or perpetrators.”

Chicago Bears general manager Phil Emery issued a statement saying Marshall has the "full support of the Chicago Bears."

"We were aware of his personal background when we traded for him in 2012, and equally aware of the tremendous efforts he made to bring positive changes in his life and in the lives of all the people around him. Since his arrival, Brandon has thrived in an environment that has been supportive. He has been a very positive, thoughtful and proactive leader and role model. He has acknowledged his past struggles and shared his story in an effort to help others improve their daily lives. Brandon has been at the forefront of mental health awareness and has extended himself in an unprecedented way to help fellow players across the NFL. He has helped himself through helping others and we are proud to have him as a teammate." -- Phil Emery

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Suspend him now!

I'm not trying to make light of abuse but this chick first say's she's a friend of the domestic violence victim... then she proceeds to say " I emailed him with the same concerns. I never received a call from him or the NFL as a victim regarding my fear and concerns". So is she the friend or the victim or is she just being a little over dramatic?

She then leaps from talking about Marshall "assaulting" his girlfriend to the absolute extreme... “Roger Goodell and the NFL have failed me as a victim … How many women will have to die or pass on the abuse from themselves to their children, who will either become victims themselves or perpetrators.”

I get she was worried about her friend but claiming that he assaulted her and then jumping straight to the dying thing struck me the wrong way. This just sounds like someone that seen a nice place to get some attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

Adopted Bronco:
    I don't need to adopt, my son is a future Bronco ;)

Yeah, I'm with ya weazel.

What bugs me is "why you gotta bring up old shit?!" As a society, if we do not accept the fact that WE MAKE MISTAKES and if we do not accept the fact that WE CAN GROW AND HEAL SO WE DO NOT REPEAT THOSE MISTAKES, we are screwing ourselves! Certain mistakes are harmless, and certain mistakes are harmful (difference between AP going way out of his way to dicipline his son and believing its normal and good for him, and Ray Rice believing that if anyone hits him he has the right to defend himself (even if he can overpower the female who spit in his face and hit him), is a lot different than the person who kidnaps and tortures a person or a husband or SO who has anger issues to the point he isolates his SO and children from the rest of the world and drinks every day and beats them for dirty dishes or asking a question.

In short, I do believe these behaviors that some of these guys grew up developing can be untaught. We are a product of our parents and the community we grew up in (with the exception of people who have serious mental health issues, ie: serial killers).

But, to pursecute a person for the rest of their lives, espeically a young man or women (early 20's), isn't fair or reasonable. Punishments do have to happen and there does need to be consequences, but a person like Brandon Marshall, he lived it. He experienced it. He made bad decisions... but he also did something about it. He's a better human being because of his efforts and probably the positive influences he has in his life to help him through it all.

5. The Following User High Fived artie_dale For This Post:

If she didn't take it to the police in 2007, don't bring it up now. The bus is already on the road, they don't need bandwagon passengers. Let it play out and see what the results are.

7. The Following 3 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

I remember there being a lot of speculation back when this happened that this girl was a gold digger.

Watley isn't even evolved in this. This is ridiculous, and Allred is just looking to get her name out there. There are current Domestic Violence events in the NFL-but she can't weasel he way into them, because most people know that she is a farce.

Watching Brandon Marshalls: A Football Life right now. Pretty interesting story but it was funny to see him yell at Kyle Orton when he wanted the ball. "I told you!! It's a Touchdown!! I told you!!" Lol
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

11. The Following User High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

Brandon Marshall is a douche. I'm glad he's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by dbfan2007 View Post
    Brandon Marshall is a douche. I'm glad he's gone.
    he was, he's not now. He's changed, and a team is NEVER better without that kind of player.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Don't do the crime, you won't wear the label. Glad to see Marshall get his shit together, but he'll always wear that label of a woman abuser and rightfully so.

He shouldn't be punished now though.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

Who slips and falls on a vase and stabs himself with it? Is this the same guy who slipped on a mcdonalds hamburger wrapper or was that griese?

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by Dzone View Post
    Who slips and falls on a vase and stabs himself with it? Is this the same guy who slipped on a mcdonalds hamburger wrapper or was that griese?
    Griese tripped over his dog. I can see that happening, because our pit is always at my feet,and if I'm not paying attention, I'll trip over him

He turned it around. Clearly there was a psychological issue with Brandon. But he figured it or, and is turning it around. And on the field-he, along with Megatron, are the only players in the league that cannot be covered one on one by even the best corners. I have only seen Seattle and AZ try to earnestly cover him 1 on 1, with no significant safety help-leaving it to Sherman and Petersen. He humiliated both.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information