Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: AFC West Standings

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Not with THIS teams talent. Literally HALF our starting offense are Pro Bowlers; (at least) one's a HoFer. Our D has 4 more Pro Bowlers, including another probable HoFer opposite a guy just 2 years removed from DRoY honors. A defending Conference Champ that's won its division 3 years running and has HALF a Pro Bowl starting lineup SHOULD win its division handily. The question is: What next...?

In that respect, I'm even happier NE lost and we not only won, but beat INDY. I'd be happier if Cincy and Baltimore tied, but Pitt lost, and Indy and NE are far more worrisome playoff rivals than anyone in the AFCN: We're now a game up on BOTH for playoff homefield; the head-to-head makes it effectively TWO games on Indy. A win @NE (difficult as that always is) would all but assure the AFCs Super Bowl road goes through Mile High. But: One game at a time; we still need to put down KC so the road to the SB doesn't go through Arrowhead (though that worked out OK in '97.)

Bottom line is we're not the freakin' Browns, so thrilled with the slimmest chance to make the postseason we don't care if we win any GAMES there. We're capable of too much more to settle for so little.

FFS....can we stop with the negative nancy schtick? We settled for a win when all the other teams in our division settled for a loss...how ******* terrible.

Was it pretty? No.
    Will it win the Super Bowl? No.
    But for God's ******* sake, it's a win in the league where wins are hard to come by. We have 15 more games on the schedule, players coming back from injury and suspension that will improve the team...so for ****'s sake, stop the insanity.

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

I said last year KC's neither as good as their 9-0 start nor as bad as their 2012 last place finish, and stand by that. I think they're still better than SD (whom Seattle should destroy this week) which makes them our strongest AFCW competition, however relatively weak or strong that is.
    We'll agree to disagree on this. I think SD is much better than KC. The Chiefs could finish behind the Raiders the way things are going, though I had them around a 7 win team this year (with SD at about 9-10 wins).

Division games are always tough, yes, so we can't overlook them. But I think this is an opportunity for us to take out some aggression on this team and bury them this week.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    FFS....can we stop with the negative nancy schtick? We settled for a win when all the other teams in our division settled for a loss...how ******* terrible.

Was it pretty? No.
    But for God's ******* sake, it's a win in the league where wins are hard to come by. We have 15 more games on the schedule, players coming back from injury and suspension that will improve the team...so for ****'s sake, stop the insanity.
    Well, we beat a winning team, however ugly it was, and that's been VERY rare the last two years, especially for a 3-time defending division champ with the top seed 2 years running and coming off a SB trip.

We beat all of TWO winning teams in 2012, one Baltimore, which more than got even in the postseason. Last year was a BIT better—IF we dismiss folks who dismiss KCs 11-5 record as inflated by a weak schedule (IDENTICAL to ours but for 2 games and us vs. KC.) We beat a 10-6 Philly team that practically won its division by default, and split with the Bolts, but the only other winning team we beat was KC, so those wins had as much or little quality as KC itself. Indy was undeniably a quality win, however close or ugly, so I'll take it.

Because however easy our last two schedules were/n't, HALF of this one is playoff teams (and the Cards should've been a 9th.) With just 16 games, EVERY win is precious, but ESPECIALLY for this schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    We'll agree to disagree on this. I think SD is much better than KC. The Chiefs could finish behind the Raiders the way things are going, though I had them around a 7 win team this year (with SD at about 9-10 wins).

Division games are always tough, yes, so we can't overlook them. But I think this is an opportunity for us to take out some aggression on this team and bury them this week.
    In the final analysis, it doesn't matter who's right here: We need to beat KC whether it's 1st tiebreak vs. them or 2nd-4th vs. SD. As you say, all division games are tough, and SD's not bad, so there's no guarantee we beat them twice, in which case KC would be part of the next tiebreak—and the one after, and the one after THAT. If SD's better than KC, that's just one more reason we must beat KC.

Also, if the Cincy/Indy don't repeat as division champs, KC would be part of the 1st (and possibly 2nd) tiebreak against whomever replaces them.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Lol, of course.

Was it pretty? No.
    Wow. Do you kiss my mother with that mouth?

Was it pretty? No.
    It might be enough to win the Superbowl Gem. The Colts are probably the second best team in the AFC and they beat both the 49ers and the Seahawks last year.

Well, we beat a winning team, however ugly it was, and that's been VERY rare the last two years, especially for a 3-time defending division champ with the top seed 2 years running and coming off a SB trip.

We beat all of TWO winning teams in 2012, one Baltimore, which more than got even in the postseason. Last year was a BIT better—IF we dismiss folks who dismiss KCs 11-5 record as inflated by a weak schedule (IDENTICAL to ours but for 2 games and us vs. KC.) We beat a 10-6 Philly team that practically won its division by default, and split with the Bolts, but the only other winning team we beat was KC, so those wins had as much or little quality as KC itself. Indy was undeniably a quality win, however close or ugly, so I'll take it.

Because however easy our last two schedules were/n't, HALF of this one is playoff teams (and the Cards should've been a 9th.) With just 16 games, EVERY win is precious, but ESPECIALLY for this schedule.

In the final analysis, it doesn't matter who's right here: We need to beat KC whether it's 1st tiebreak vs. them or 2nd-4th vs. SD. As you say, all division games are tough, and SD's not bad, so there's no guarantee we beat them twice, in which case KC would be part of the next tiebreak—and the one after, and the one after THAT. If SD's better than KC, that's just one more reason we must beat KC.

Also, if the Cincy/Indy don't repeat as division champs, KC would be part of the 1st (and possibly 2nd) tiebreak against whomever replaces them.
    Then shush and be happy....we won.

10. The Following User High Fived GEM For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dbfan2007 View Post
    Wow. Do you kiss my mother with that mouth?
    Why would I kiss your mama?

I love the word ****. ****, ****, ****ity ****!

Why would I kiss your mama?

I love the word ****. ****, ****, ****ity ****!
    I dunno. I'm bad about mentioning someone's mother and their mother being dead. I didn't wanna **** that up.

13. The Following 3 Users High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dbfan2007 View Post
    I dunno. I'm bad about mentioning someone's mother and their mother being dead. I didn't wanna **** that up.
    Good point! My mama's alive and well. And she gets pissed when I use that word.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    It might be enough to win the Superbowl Gem. The Colts are probably the second best team in the AFC and they beat both the 49ers and the Seahawks last year.
    The Colts were at home and got EXTREMELY lucky in their win vs. Seattle. Even with Luck running all over the place in a way that must've frustrated the Hell out of Wilson fans, blocking a Seattle FG and running it back for a TD was the only reason Indy won by 6 instead of losing by 4. We don't typically have that kind of "luck," and won't play Seattle at home in Week 3 or the playoffs.

Speaking of Seattle and ugly wins though, it's worth noting this is still early days: In Week 4 of 2013, the defending SB Champs needed OT to beat a Texans team that finished DEAD LAST in the NFL. They, um, got better later. The way NFL seasons go, I worried MORE when we came roaring out of the gate, because few if any teams can sustain that for a whole season, and Septembers SB favorite rarely takes home Februarys title. Let someone else start strong but fade; I'd much rather start rocky but build to a triumphant finish.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Its just unbelievable how many words Joel wastes trying to disparage everything the Broncos do.

17. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Its just unbelievable how many words Joel wastes trying to disparage everything the Broncos do.
    In my defense, you'd likely grasp my posts far better if you ever bothered READING one. Why anyone would respond to things they don't read is beyond me; any films you'd recommend unseen?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

In my defense, you'd likely grasp my posts far better if you ever bothered READING one. Why anyone would respond to things they don't read is beyond me; any films you'd recommend unseen?
    I read it. Have no fear, your efforts weren't wasted.

Johnson's not their whole D, and it's still pretty fierce. They've still got Hali, Houston and Poe as roughly half of a pretty good front seven, plus Berry deep. They've still got Jamaal Charles and a QB who's a better passer than the one who stole his last job; if his WRs hadn't dropped a lot of nicely thrown balls the last time KC played @Denver, that game might've ended much less happily.

I said last year KC's neither as good as their 9-0 start nor as bad as their 2012 last place finish, and stand by that. I think they're still better than SD (whom Seattle should destroy this week) which makes them our strongest AFCW competition, however relatively weak or strong that is. Even if they're not, it's still a game, and a divisional game, which makes it part of the 3rd division tiebreak, 1st-2nd tiebreak vs. Jax and Baltimore and 2nd-3rd tiebreak vs. the 4 AFCN/S teams that play neither of us.
    Did you watch their game? KC is not a threat and aren't even close to being as good as SD...maybe Oakland.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information