Thread: Torn....the decisions on where to play football.

Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey

Default Torn....the decisions on where to play football.

I have been hit with a rather interesting situation. I have an option to try to play football at three different colleges. I have recently played college football at a junior college. Because of the fact I couldn't play football in high school due to a nasty leg injury, I couldn't immediately play at a larger college due to money. This year I stayed up here in Idaho to finish off a few classes so I could transfer to another college so this upcoming year will be my 4th, but the equivalent to my junior. I have received offers to play at two of the local colleges thanks to my last season (1003 yards 6 TDs as a #2 WR).

Eastern Washington has offered me almost a full ride due to sports

Washington State has offered me a half ride due to sports

Boise state has not offered me any scholarships due to sports; however, they have offered me $20,000 over two years because of my 3.6 GPA in Chemistry which is good amount of money since I am an Idaho resident.

Here is the problem. EWU is a good football college, but of course it is not division I. My problem there is I am not impressed with their Chemistry program as that is my major. Washington State has a great Chemistry program although I am not sure I want to play for their football team. Boise State also has a great Chemistry program, but it is a very good football program the competition will be brutal.

I will have to decide sometime in the next few months what I am going to do since I have to prepare to transfer to one of the schools. Boy this just rips me apart. I want to play football, but I also want to continue with my studies.
    Last edited by LoyalSoldier; 12-01-2007 at 10:01 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Unless you know you have a future in football, I'd follow where ever you could get in for academics.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    Unless you know you have a future in football, I'd follow where ever you could get in for academics.
    The main issue is that where I can get into a good Chemistry program is where it may cost me the most. Washington State has a better program than BSU, but the problem is that since I am not a Washington Resident I will end up paying more to go there.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Well then you need to ask yourself how much your education is worth to you. In the long run, is the difference between a few grand going to have a lasting impact on you? Will you do better afterwards because of your higher education from WSU? Lots of variables, but if it boils down to money right now, you have to do what is best for the checkbook.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Watch WSU coaching search closely, Soldier, people have been saying they'll try to bring Mike Price back.

Wouldn't you like to play for him, if the offer is still there?

Good coach if you can keep him out of the strip bars......
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Why not play for the COUGS! I married into a family that are COUG fans and I've been watching them for many years now. If you want to get recognition, you get it playing in the PAC 10 more than you would with BoiseSt and if you're that good playing against these teams will make you look better in my opinion. I don't know if you're looking to make a shot for the NFL or just get the best education you can. IMO, WAZZU sounds to be the choice especially if Mike Price comes back!

Boise St. is ok but their coach may be heading out also for a bigger school. Why would you want to spend more than you have to!

Good Luck with you choices!

Adopted Bronco:
    Stupid idea

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    I think this is the soundest advice.

Take football out of the equation.

Look at the school chemistry programs and decide which offers the best value, not the cheapest price. You of course, should include the scholarship dollars, just not the playing aspect of it.

Unless you feel you have a possibility of being drafted. In which case, EWU probably shouldn't be in the equation. No disrespect to them, but you in that situation, you need the highest profile you can get.

But my advice for any athelete pursuing a difficult academic major would be to go to the school with the program that you feel will best prepare you for a job in that field after school. Assume that you will not go pro.

College debt isn't the worst thing ever, if it came down to it. I did it, and so do lots of others. You can pay it back.

Go where you want to do chemistry( Unless the caching staff there are complete jerks or something). You'll be happier in the long run.
    What shall we do with all this useless beauty?

First of all, congratulations and I'm proud of you man.

It sounds like quite a pickle. From the sounds of it, Washington State sounds really good. You are getting half of your school paid for, and a chance to play football and go to a college with a great program you're looking at! Debt can be paid off man, I'll probably owe $20,000 or so coming out of college, but I've been very blessed to have been able to receive scholarships, grants, etc. that have cut my costs in half.

Don't let money be the deciding factor in where you do or don't go to school. I ended up not going to Oregon for that reason. I know it's an important factor, but you can repay those loans man. You have the opportunity to play ball for a few great schools, so just make the most of it.

I'm not sure who you are, or how good you are though - but playing for Boise State is going to be an uphill battle. They already have Childs and Young (fantastic SOPH and FRESH) duo, and they've recruited a pretty decent caliber receiver as well.

Just weigh your options well. It sounds like Eastern Washington would be your best bet if you wanted to play, but not get the best out of their program. Washington State's receivers are mostly juniors and seniors, so you could have a realistic shot at competing and getting some nice P/T right away. Bumpus is graduating and they'll have Gibson and Dillion as their seniors next year. Jeshua Anderson is a nice big play receiver for them as a youngster, so you have three main guys you're competing against, and Gibson is going to be their #1 regardless. It may be that you're going to be a sub-package threat for them if you play there. They recruited a receiver there this year too, that has a pretty decent grade as well.

So I don't know.

I wouldn't even consider Boise State if you want to play football.

Anyways, I hope you find what you're looking for.

Like SR said, if you don't have a future playing football (might be hard being a JUCO transfer with limited big ball playing time) focus on academics. It sounds like you'll get some nice money (half ride) from WSU - and have the opportunity to go to a great chemistry program and play some PAC-10 ball in the process. If I were you, I'd probably do that.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dre Bly

Goto BSU and walk-on the team

4/29/06<333333333333333

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

What kind of financial aid do you have lined up?

Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    What kind of financial aid do you have lined up?
    I am still weighting my options. At WSU the average cost per year for a non-washington resident is $30,000 a year while BSU will cost me about $20,000 a year. The Chemistry Scholarship for BSU is about half that cost, but at the same time I like WSU's Chemistry program better.

I have been trying to see if I can apply for more Chemistry scholarships for WSU, but I have to wait on that. If I can get those I will almost guarantee that I will head over to WSU.

I think if I were going for academics WSU would be my ideal. It is just my financial options are not become very clear just yet. EWU I will pay close to nothing as it will cost me about $600 a year to go there (Less than I have paid for a junior college) and I know I could play sports there, but of course as I said before for academics they are not my first choice.

I think my biggest problem is I am not sure how I will do on the Div I schools. I have played very well in the NJCAA and played in a spread offense. I know I would love to play in the NFL (I am sure you know which team I would prefer. ), but at this point in my life I can't tell. I would have to have some experience in the higher college divisions.
    Last edited by LoyalSoldier; 12-01-2007 at 06:58 PM.

man, i thought u were 30+

goodluck on your descison

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information