Thread: Raiders going with rookie Derek Carr

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Raiders going with rookie Derek Carr

The Oakland Raiders have named rookie Derek Carr their starting quarterback, according to a Fox Sports report.

Carr will get the nod over veteran Matt Schaub, who is playing his first season in Oakland after spending the past seven seasons starting for the Houston Texans.

Carr, a second-round pick from Fresno State, completed of 11 of 13 passes for 143 yards and three touchdowns, including two one-play touchdown passes in a 41-31 win over the Seattle Seahawks in the preseason finale for both.
    rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11...ng-quarterback

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

RIP Derek Carr's career. Too bad.
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

His brother won his first NFL start (one of my favorite games since it embarrassed a lot of Cowboy fans around here). Best wishes on a family repeat.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Wow, Schaub replaced David Carr in Houston and now little brother Carr is returning the favor.

I thought he looked really good in the limited action I saw. He's got a more lively arm than Schaub and probably a quicker release. He's also really mobile and can make plays with his legs. I'm not surprised by this move at all.

Adopted Bronco:
    I don't need to adopt, my son is a future Bronco ;)

"Excellent..." (in the low tone Mr. Burns voice holding my hands in a manner that my fingertips are tapping their counterpart)

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

If I was a Raiders fan then (after I showered in Listerine) I would rather have Schaub take a beating this year than give Carr the keys out of the gate. There's a lot to process in the league, and unless you have a great OL (the Raiders don't) or a great offensive mind (their O is put together by the former QB coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars, fer Chrissake, among other sad-sack Os like the Linehan Rams and the Bucs during the esteemed Raheem Morris era) it can be tough sledding.

The Raiders have a couple of talented guys, and I think Carr could be one of them. But his brother got demolished by putting him in charge of a terrible team from day one. I'd rather see him get a shot once they get him a bit more protection and firepower. The Raiders gave up 44 sacks last year WITH a mobile QB.

It shouldn't be 70+ like the other Carr managed to pull off, but I'd be leery of letting my QBOTF get sacked 50 times in his first season. Nick Foles, Colin Kaepernick, Russell Wilson... those guys didn't get beat up their rookie years. Gotta keep rushers off a young QB, even a mobile one. Aaron Rodgers got beat up a lot in Green Bay, but that was in year FOUR of his career, even if he hadn't been taking the field behind Favre.

*shrugs* I wouldn't start off that way if I was the Raiders. I'd use Schaub as a sacrificial lamb while I got more than restricted preseason contact with Carr. But then... they are the Raiders. We'll see if Carr can rise above.

Been a long time since someone did that in Raider Nation.
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

10. The Following User High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information