Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL Implements SEVERE PENALTIES FOR DOMESTIC VIOLENCE

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

Default NFL Implements SEVERE PENALTIES FOR DOMESTIC VIOLENCE

Maybe the wrong place for this but it can be moved if it is (sorry)

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commen...ence-penalties

The NFL is immediately implementing a sweeping domestic violence initiative that calls for a six-game suspension for a first offense and a lifetime ban from the league for a second offense.
    Goodell indicated 'he didnt get it right with Ray Rice. We have to do better"
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    More Americans have been killed by New England Patriots players than by Ebola.

2. The Following 6 Users High Fived OB For This Post:

is it considered domestic violence if it happens outside of the home? actually without even having opened this up, I'm sure this stems from the Ray Rice incident which is pretty atrocious if I am remembering it correctly. violence against women has always been an issue and I guess this is the only way it can be remedied, so I guess I don't really know what else to say.
    Last edited by BroncoNut; 08-28-2014 at 02:05 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Severe penalties for domestic violence

The NFL is immediately implementing a sweeping domestic violence initiative that calls for a six-game suspension for a first offense and a lifetime ban from the league for a second offense.

The measures, announced in a letter from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to all team owners, a copy of which was obtained by ESPN, are due in part to widespread criticism Goodell received for his handling of discipline for Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice. The two-game suspension for Rice left many with the impression that the NFL did not understand domestic violence or take it seriously as a crime. Goodell acknowledged as much in the letter.

"At times, however, and despite our best efforts, we fall short of our goals," Goodell wrote. "We clearly did so in response to a recent incident of domestic violence. ... My disciplinary decision led the public to question our sincerity, our commitment, and whether we understood the toll that domestic violence inflicts on so many families. I take responsibility both for the decision and for ensuring that our actions in the future properly reflect our values.

"I didn't get it right."
    rest - http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commen...ence-penalties

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

5. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

Carol - you are so much better at this than I am - next time I will leave it in your very capable hands (in my defense I am trying to cut and paste and minimize windows as people walk by my desk so they dont see whatim doing LOL)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    More Americans have been killed by New England Patriots players than by Ebola.

7. The Following User High Fived OB For This Post:

I think you did a fine job ob,

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoNut For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Good.
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

11. The Following 5 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Good. About time they took it more seriously. Dread got his wish, weed out some of the scum.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    Good.
    As predicted. lol

15. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Good. About time they took it more seriously. Dread got his wish, weed out some of the scum.
    yeah, it will be interesting to see in a few years how dread feels about a league full of Tebows

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Quote Originally Posted by OB View Post
    Carol - you are so much better at this than I am - next time I will leave it in your very capable hands (in my defense I am trying to cut and paste and minimize windows as people walk by my desk so they dont see whatim doing LOL)
    Hey OB - we make a GREAT team - you start it, and I will finish it.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

18. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

OB

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by AGap View Post
    yeah, it will be interesting to see in a few years how dread feels about a league full of Tebows
    Nah, there are plenty of guys who dont smack their women around. Im totally for this, no better way to discourage abuse than to make the penalties harsh.

20. The Following 3 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Since arrests for domestic violence in the NFL happen 5 times more often than drug arrests (thanks for that stat, Grantland), I can't help but wonder whether by " offense" they really mean "conviction." If that's the case, Ray Rice wouldn't be suspended at all under the new policy... and domestic violence convictions are hard to come by since there's often only one witness, and she usually won't press charges or testify, and wives CAN'T be compelled to testify against their husbands it all becomes a big mess that isn't worth the prosecutors time.

We'll see. If it's for arrests, or police visits to the domicile, then the NFL better expand rosters by a few spots. They'll need em.

Which is why I'm hoping for that. A Dude who drags his girlfriend down a flight of stairs by her hair and slams her face into a mailbox (Nebraska running backs...) doesn't really need to be coddled by his employer. I can live without that, no matter the talent.
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

22. The Following 3 Users High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    Hey OB - we make a GREAT team - you start it, and I will finish it.
    Thunder & Lightning?

24. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
    Since arrests for domestic violence in the NFL happen 5 times more often than drug arrests (thanks for that stat, Grantland), I can't help but wonder whether by " offense" they really mean "conviction." If that's the case, Ray Rice wouldn't be suspended at all under the new policy... and domestic violence convictions are hard to come by since there's often only one witness, and she usually won't press charges or testify, and wives CAN'T be compelled to testify against their husbands it all becomes a big mess that isn't worth the prosecutors time.

We'll see. If it's for arrests, or police visits to the domicile, then the NFL better expand rosters by a few spots. They'll need em.

Which is why I'm hoping for that. A Dude who drags his girlfriend down a flight of stairs by her hair and slams her face into a mailbox (Nebraska running backs...) doesn't really need to be coddled by his employer. I can live without that, no matter the talent.
    I dont think convictions will matter. I think the NFL, police, general public know the score on the victim mentality (see Ray's wife) and understand that it just wont be tolerated in general. Im sure they will use whatever reports the authorities have investigated but its clear they no longer want to endorse or have players representing the NFL that behave in this manner. If there is such an influx as you stated with domestic abuse than all i can say is next man up, step on up Juwan Thompson. There are plenty of players out there who will fill in.

26. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Nah, there are plenty of guys who dont smack their women around. Im totally for this, no better way to discourage abuse than to make the penalties harsh.
    sure, there are plenty of dudes that don't smack their wives around, they are called NFL FANS

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information