Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DT Kevin Vickerson On The Bubble, Looking Forward To 5th Season With Broncos

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default DT Kevin Vickerson On The Bubble, Looking Forward To 5th Season With Broncos

DENVER (CBS4)- Defensive Tackle Kevin Vickerson is on the bubble with the Denver Broncos but hopes to spend his fifth season with the team.

After eight years in the NFL, the veteran players knows the job comes with no guarantees.

“Every year it’s the same feeling. I got to go out and make the team so really nothing is set in stone. Never,” said Vickerson.
    rest - http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/08/2...-with-broncos/

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

I thought he was pretty good??

Quote Originally Posted by sneakers View Post
    He was pretty good last year as a space eater. There was a bit of a drop off in our run D after he went out.

5. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sneakers View Post
    Sadly, the key word is the fourth, not the sixth:
    Vickerson is coming off a hip injury. With a salary of more than $2 million a season, he appears to many to be a man squarely beyond the bubble.He also faces some stiff competition from fellow DT’s Marvin Austin, who has had a very good camp, and another veteran Mitch Unrein.
    They call him Big Vick for a reason; he weighs fully twice as much as some players, so an injury to one of the hips supporting all that bulk is huge, especially a dislocation, since that loosens ligaments to make future dislocations more likely. Any other year we'd be so desperate for decent DTs it wouldn't matter, but Del Rio built a solid DT rotation the moment he arrived; Vickerson was a big part of that before the injury, but Williams barely missed a beat replacing him, and Austin's had a great camp, so he may be fighting for the #4 spot.

Except the article speculates we'll only keep THREE, which frankly scared the crap out of me. I'm not sure I buy that; we kept 4 last year, and sined Fua when Vickerson went to IR, precisely the reason I want 4: Fatigue happens fast with huge DTs, so we need a rotation, and if we only keep 3 that becomes impossible after even just ONE injury. Maybe they're looking at Wolfe/Jackson as backups since they play inside a lot in nickel, but I'm hoping we keep 4 DTs, and that Vickerson's healthy enough to make the cut.

The weird thing is I never liked Unrein as an unremarkable starter, but like him a lot as a versatile backup with a nose for the ball. I just can't see keeping 5.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    Netane Muti

I'm not seeing how Vick could be behind Unrein and Fua on the depth chart? Injury related possibly?

Quote Originally Posted by LTC Pain View Post
    I'm not seeing how Vick could be behind Unrein and Fua on the depth chart? Injury related possibly?
    That's my guess; just saw MHR has a final 53 projection: Vickerson's the #2 NT (or 4th DT, depending how one views it,) which is exactly where I'd put him. I really like their whole projection.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    That's my guess; just saw MHR has a final 53 projection: Vickerson's the #2 NT (or 4th DT, depending how one views it,) which is exactly where I'd put him. I really like their whole projection.
    Yeah, it's hard for me to see the 2 other guys on the bubble beating Vickerson out, unless there's been a serious decline in his play. It's not like he's making a fortune this year. I think his salary is $2million.

10. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Yeah, I think the article cites that number as a reason Vickerson's on the bubble—but Rotoworld has Unrein at just over $1.4, and, while more versatile than Vickerson, Unrein will NEVER be the same caliber run stuffer in the middle, so I'd think he's more on the bubble, especially if Vickerson's near 100%. Maybe if we weren't loaded with great UTs, and great DEs who can play UT also, Unrein's ability to do both combined with his nose for the ball would make the difference, but as it stands I'd be more likely to let him go market that valuable flexiblity to someone in need.

My only concern with Vick this preseason has been injury, but I thought he looked good in the game on Saturday. There were multiple times that I thought he was off sides, considering how fast he was off the snap. Just last year, he was a major part of why our run defense was so stout. I'm happy Sly has stepped up to be the starter, but unless they're really concerned about future injury, I don't really want Vick cut.

13. The Following 4 Users High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    My only concern with Vick this preseason has been injury, but I thought he looked good in the game on Saturday. There were multiple times that I thought he was off sides, considering how fast he was off the snap. Just last year, he was a major part of why our run defense was so stout. I'm happy Sly has stepped up to be the starter, but unless they're really concerned about future injury, I don't really want Vick cut.
    That's exactly how I feel. It's not like he's making 5-6 mil per year.

Unrein- 16 games 20 tackles 0 sacks
    Vickerson- 11 games 22 tackles 1 sack

Vickerson also took on a lot of double teams in the middle.

16. The Following 7 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post

Unrein- 16 games 20 tackles 0 sacks
    Vickerson- 11 games 22 tackles 1 sack

Vickerson also took on a lot of double teams in the middle.
    I've seen the argument for keeping Unrein over Vickerson boil down to, "He's younger." And while I get that, I don't see Unrein having the upside that Vick has.

Funny how things change so quickly in the NFL, though. Could you imagine having this argument last year at this time? Vick was slotted in as a starter, Sly was an unknown rookie and Knighton was looked at as a reclamation project that had the potential to fail.

18. The Following User High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    I've seen the argument for keeping Unrein over Vickerson boil down to, "He's younger." And while I get that, I don't see Unrein having the upside that Vick has.

Funny how things change so quickly in the NFL, though. Could you imagine having this argument last year at this time? Vick was slotted in as a starter, Sly was an unknown rookie and Knighton was looked at as a reclamation project that had the potential to fail.
    It's not the years, it's the mileage; Vickerson's hip will always be a little looser now, and that's a big deal on a guy his size. In terms of backups, Unreins ability to play NT, UT and DE gives him an edge because Vickerson wouldn't be much more than a slow run stuffer at DE. As a NT though, he's way better than Unrein IF healthy. A lot hangs on that "if"....
    Last edited by Joel; 08-29-2014 at 12:25 AM.

Adopted Bronco:
    #27 Steve Atwater

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    It's not the years, it's the mileage; Vickerson's hip will always be a little loser now, and that's a big deal on a guy his size. In terms of backups, Unreins ability to play NT, UT and DE gives him an edge because Vickerson wouldn't be much more than a slow run stuffer at DE. As a NT though, he's way better than Unrein IF healthy. A lot hangs on that "if"....
    loser or looser ...

Quote Originally Posted by broncosinindy View Post
    loser or looser ...
    The latter; sorry.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information