Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mike Carey refused to work Redskins games

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    I'm channeling my inner BTB/Wave.
    Eh, you're just being your normal curmudgeon self.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

So, after being proven wrong about your lack of response to my question...

I'm not sure how to elaborate on my statement. If you don't follow the news and read people's comments on the subject, I doubt I could provide adequate evidence to you.

I'd guess you're a fairly smart individual, and can plainly see the loudest voices against the name Redskin is from the white man. If not, I don't know how to assist you.
    What I mean is we both are probably basing this on the media and such. I don't have official statistics, but the media is likely a decent sized majority white. That being the case, it makes sense that we would think it's the white people mostly complaining about the name. But that's only because we only really hear the media. So I don't think it is a fair assessment to think that it's really only white people who are complaining based solely on the media.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

I think it should be emphasized that Carey 1) did not flaunt his decision, in fact opting to hide it from almost everybody, and 2) was willing to face the consequences for refusing to officiate Redskins games, even if it meant being fired.

So whether you agree or disagree with his decision, you have to respect him for it I think. Very tactful.

4. The Following 6 Users High Fived aberdien For This Post:

So, after being proven wrong about your lack of response to my question...

I'm not sure how to elaborate on my statement. If you don't follow the news and read people's comments on the subject, I doubt I could provide adequate evidence to you.

I'd guess you're a fairly smart individual, and can plainly see the loudest voices against the name Redskin is from the white man. If not, I don't know how to assist you.
    Hmmm. I think if we are going by numbers alone, I would bet that the largest group against slavery were white, as well.

Point being is that just because the "white" person is on board (or has jumped on board) with the cry of it being a racial slur, doesn't mean that the stance has less validity.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    That said, he should have been fired for refusing an assignment.
    It is not uncommon for referees to remove themselves from games against a certain coach or player because of past run-ins or to be removed from games where there might be any conflict of interest, such as a son playing on one team or one team is close to the player's hometown. This, however, is unprecedented and I think it's a bit unprofessional.

Referees do not speak the name of the teams they are officiating. The calls involve "offense", "defense ("DEE-fense", as Carey would say), "receiving team", "kicking team", etc. never "Bills", "Cowboys", "Raiders", etc. Carey could go through an entire game without the offending word passing from his lips.

Then again, if he felt just the impact of the word was prejudicial enough that he could not be an impartial judge, I suppose that is fair.

I wonder if an official might beg off all games at Met Life Stadium because of the tax situation they place on visitors working games there if the NFL would honor that or is it only race consciousness, not economic boycotts that get this privilege?
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by dbfan2007 View Post
    Yeah. He did crack in the 90s and really didn't care.
    I can see doing Crack in your 70's for curiosity's sake, but in your 90's? what a dumbass, grow up dude

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoNut For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by AGap View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dbfan2007 View Post
    Yeah. He did crack in the 90s and really didn't care.
    I can see doing Crack in your 70's for curiosity's sake, but in your 90's? what a dumbass, grow up dude
    You are a funny guy, agap!

10. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    You are a funny guy, agap!
    thanks, but it's really easy when you just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post
    nope, wrong person. my dad is English and my mom is French and Italian. I'm a honky
    I guess your avatar threw me off.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

14. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

I did not realize that after all those years of listening to his officiating, Mike Carey speaks with a lisp.

Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post
    Did he ref any chiefs games?
    I wonder about that, and if they're next, because that's been used as a racial slur at least as often and long (and my compromise solution of just using "'Skins" all the time won't work there.) I also wonder if it's not a much bigger deal because of Redskins rather than just US history. Marshall was pretty notoriously and openly—almost proudly—racist and, while I've never heard the same about George Allen, if not caught on camera using a racial slur at a campaign rally, his son would probably still be a US Senator, but probably NEVER WOULD'VE been without the Redskins. There's a lot of subtext here.

Speaking of other teams with similar problems: The Seminoles' logo is pretty much identical to Washingtons, right?
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    I wonder about that, and if they're next, because that's been used as a racial slur at least as often and long (and my compromise solution of just using "'Skins" all the time won't work there.) I also wonder if it's not a much bigger deal because of Redskins rather than just US history. Marshall was pretty notoriously and openly—almost proudly—racist and, while I've never heard the same about George Allen, if not caught on camera using a racial slur at a campaign rally, his son would probably still be a US Senator, but probably NEVER WOULD'VE been without the Redskins. There's a lot of subtext here.

Speaking of other teams with similar problems: The Seminoles' logo is pretty much identical to Washingtons, right?
    The Seminoles have some approval from members of the Seminole tribe. Unfortunately for Dan Snyder, he isn't able to get the approval of the Redskin tribe.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    The Seminoles have some approval from members of the Seminole tribe. Unfortunately for Dan Snyder, he isn't able to get the approval of the Redskin tribe.
    Fair enough (though I'm not sure any one Seminole or group of them can claim exclusive right to represent ALL of them, much less other tribes offended by appropriation/exploitation of their symbols.) Could be another case where Washingtons unabashedly racist founder works against them; it's hard to convince anyone it's a tribute with THAT legacy lurking. It's too bad, 'cause I'm sympathetic to their situation (even if my dad raised me a Cowboys fan who knows Dallas wouldn't even EXIST if Murchison hadn't bought the "Hail to the Redskins" copyright to prevent Marshalls veto.)

It's just a hopeless situation for team founded by a guy who jealously guarded a monopoly on being the Souths only NFL team and fought integration tooth and nail. I mean, it's pretty sad when the US Atty. General has to threaten to kick you out of your federally-owned stadium if you don't sign a black player (ironic, given the Redskins played several decades in a stadium built as a memorial to RFK.) It's hard to see how "Hail to the Redskins" is anything but complimentary, but with THAT backstory, I can see why there are skeptics.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

In the case of the Seminole indian tribe, they are located in that region of Georgia and Florida and do have some organization so I suppose some can speak officially for the tribe as a whole, which they seem to have spoken, endorsing the Seminole name. More seem to get upset when you call them the "Criminoles" which seems to be making a comeback and refers to the legal troubles many team members seem to get into.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information