Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Jumping the Gun: Which 14 Current Broncos Would You Cut a Week from Tomorrow?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-to-10-players

10 players on practice squad now.
    Last edited by Simple Jaded; 08-19-2014 at 11:19 PM.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Even when it completely mystifies me; half the fanbase screamed at Moreno for 4 straight seasons (several plagued by injuries) because he didn't deliver what a 1st round back "should"—but when he finally DID, we voided our club option for a 5th year, then let him walk because we wouldn't pay him. Near as I can tell, we're supposed to draft a 5th round starting RB who produces like Jim Thorpe FOR THE SAME SALARY. Good luck, especially if late/undrafted RBs aren't allowed 1st team blockers. There's a reason Vinston Painter'd be safe on the PS.
    They voided the club option in 2013, before the draft and when Moreno still had one foot in the dog house, though not that it makes much difference. If the Broncos wanted him he'd still be here, it cost too much for a RB that ordinary on a team this loaded with legitimate contract issues on the horizon.

The 49ers tried to sign Painter off the Ps in December, btw.

Also, aside from a game here and there Moreno never produced like a 12th overall pick.
    Last edited by Simple Jaded; 08-19-2014 at 11:34 PM.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

Duke, he's younger, we don't have depth at safety, and he's not coming back from a dislocated hip.
    In Elway We Trust

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHorse View Post
    Duke, he's younger, we don't have depth at safety, and he's not coming back from a dislocated hip.
    According to our roster, I think we are okay at safety. We have like 6 right now.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    For me it's easier to look at who will be on the team than which players to cut:

QB - Peyton Manning, Brock Osweiler, Zac Dysert
    RB - Montee Ball, Ronnie Hillman, C.J. Anderson, Jawan Thompson
    TE - Julius Thomas, Virgil Green, Jacob Tamme
    WR - DeMaryius Thomas, Wes Welker, Emmanuel Sanders, Cody Latimer, Andre Caldwell, Jordan Norwood
    OT - Ryan Clady, Chris Clark, Winston Justice
    OG - Louis Vasquez, Orlando Franklin, Vinton Painter, Ben Garland
    OC - Manny Ramirez, Will Montgomery

DL - Terrance Knighton, Kevin Vickerson, Sylvester Williams, Derek Wolfe, Malik Jackson, Marvin Austin
    Rush End - Von Miller, DeMarcus Ware, Quanterus Smith, Lerentee McCray
    LB - Nate Irving, Danny Trevathan, Brandon Marshall, Steven Johnson, Lamin Barrow
    CB - Aqib Talib, Chris Harris, Bradley Roby, Kayvon Webster, Omar Bolden, Tony Carter
    S - T.J. Ward, Rahim Moore, Duke Ihenacho, Quinton Carter, David Bruton

K - Matt Prater
    P - Britton Colquitt
    LS - Aaron Brewer
    This, except I'd predict Schoefield over Garland and Unrein over Ihenacho...maybe.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by dbfan2007 View Post
    According to our roster, I think we are okay at safety. We have like 6 right now.
    Does this Charles Mitchell or John Boyett have PS eligibility?
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

8. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

Ward, Moore, Q. Carter, Bruton, and ????
    In Elway We Trust

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

And Bolden is sort of a flex, maybe.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

11. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Shit, with Moore and Q. Carter's injury history they almost have to keep 5 S's, I hate that.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Default Tough call, but probably Vickerson

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    Which would be a bigger surprise cut....Duke or Vickerson?
    We've got more depth at safety, especially since Bruton's a ST stud and Bolden was drafted as a safety. The only guy behind Vickerson I expect to make the team is Unrein, and Vickersons injury showed how important it is to have good DT depth. On the other hand, we're currently over the cap and Ihenacho makes <½ what Vickerson does, so neither would be a big surprise.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    They voided the club option in 2013, before the draft and when Moreno still had one foot in the dog house, though not that it makes much difference. If the Broncos wanted him he'd still be here, it cost too much for a RB that ordinary on a team this loaded with legitimate contract issues on the horizon.
    I just don't see the logic in voiding what was always an option anyway: If he plays all of 2013 and DOESN'T produce like he did, we can still cut him loose with no penalty, so voiding our option at the start of the year changes nothing unless he has a 2013 like he DID have and we find ourselves unable to resign him for $1 million (which, IIRC, was what the option would've cost.)

The 49ers tried to sign Painter off the Ps in December, btw.
    Slightly different scenario though, because we were both headed into a deep playoff run after a full seasons worth of attrition. It's a calculated risk though, as with most PS guys, but Painter might be a little less risky than a rookie 3rd round pick. If Painter doesn't go there, someone ELSE must, plus we'll have to cut someone else from the 53 to make room for Painter.

Also, aside from a game here and there Moreno never produced like a 12th overall pick.
    True, but much of that was injuries, and I'm not saying we should pay him like a 12th overall pick, only that a team where Hillman's #2 on the depth chart can't spare Morenos production.

The bottom line is Manning can't do it alone any more than Elway could; going all the way requires a running game good enough defenses can't sell out on the pass, and a big part of that is a RB who can catch and pass block well enough our personell doesn't reveal our playcalls. Moreno's not great anything, but he's good at everything. Oh, well; it's a moot point now.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Boyett and Bolden. Bolden is listed as a safety. That's kinda why I lumped all of my DBs together.

Boyett and Bolden. Bolden is listed as a safety. That's kinda why I lumped all of my DBs together.
    Bolden's listed as a #3 CB, but we drafted him as a safety and I believe (could be wrong) he remained one his whole rookie year before conversion to CB. He's also listed as our second KR, so I'm pretty confident he'll make the final 53; he and Bruton are great examples of how versatility helps guys make rosters even when way down the depth chart at their primary spot.

I'd rather have Ihenacho than Boyett as my 6th (or 5½th) safety though, if we keep that many. Plus (to answere Jadeds question,) Boyett and and Charles Mitchell should both have PS eligibiltiy left; Ihenacho's in his third year and started all but 2 games last season, so we couldn't PS him even if we wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Bolden's listed as a #3 CB, but we drafted him as a safety and I believe (could be wrong) he remained one his whole rookie year before conversion to CB. He's also listed as our second KR, so I'm pretty confident he'll make the final 53; he and Bruton are great examples of how versatility helps guys make rosters even when way down the depth chart at their primary spot.

I'd rather have Ihenacho than Boyett as my 6th (or 5½th) safety though, if we keep that many. Plus (to answere Jadeds question,) Boyett and and Charles Mitchell should both have PS eligibiltiy left; Ihenacho's in his third year and started all but 2 games last season, so we couldn't PS him even if we wanted.
    Hmm. That is correct. Safety on the roster and Corner on the depth chart.

Hmm. That is correct. Safety on the roster and Corner on the depth chart.
    Well, he can theoretically play both well enough for depth, and between that and being listed as our other KR, he'll make the final 53 as SOMETHING, especially since we can't PS him. So Ward, Moore, Bruton, Carter, Bolden and ?. I could see the answer being "no one," but the fact we can PS Boyett (and Mitchell) but not Ihenacho may be bad news for Duke.

If I had to pick one for the final 53 though, I'd take Ihenacho over either of the other two.
    Last edited by Joel; 08-21-2014 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Retroactively right ;-p

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information