Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Illegal Contact

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

Default Illegal Contact

I wish they would have enforced this rule during the last Super Bowl.

The Seattle defense could have ripped off the Broncos WR's pants, bent them over, and had their way with them during that game and the refs still wouldn't have called a penalty.

Do you like the Illegal contact being enforced more, or not?

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived sneakers For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

To be honest, I don't like it. I know from our perspective it would have helped us in the SB, but I don't think it's good for the game. The game is too slanted toward offense right now. I don't think they needed to change how illegal contact is called.

4. The Following 4 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    To be honest, I don't like it. I know from our perspective it would have helped us in the SB, but I don't think it's good for the game. The game is too slanted toward offense right now. I don't think they needed to change how illegal contact is called.
    I don't think they are changing how it is called, they are just enforcing the rule in place (I wish baseball would do this with the strike zone)

Right now, the game is basically... Run an offensive play, look for the flag. Pass the ball, look for the flag. EVERY incomplete pass comes with the fans holding their breath waiting for the flag. Its actually become a PLAY. If you are down by 3 points and need to go 50 yrds, who here believes the defense can stop three deep pass plays in a row without getting a PI or IC call? It's become absurd. How can you play defense in today's NFL?
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

It hasn't been legal to molest receivers after 5 yards since before you were born. The Seahawks are the worst offenders by far. It is time the NFL simply enforced existing laws. Interesting. Enforce existing laws. What a concept....

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived atwater27 For This Post:

As long as they call it even. Problem is teams like Seattle believe if you contact a receiver on every play the refs won't call them all and will just get used to the contact. And so far they have been correct. The contact they are allowed to make with receivers is ridiculous. Then other teams play it the same way and get called because their guys don't do it every play of every game. As games get more important refs allow them to play more and even less of these illegal plays get called.
    It's great they are emphasizing it now. But it means little by the time the real games start.

11. The Following User High Fived gregbroncs For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Every year referees talk about enforcing rules and go all out with flags in the pre-season...only to pull back once the season starts. I wouldn't expect anything different this year

13. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

It would have made no difference if it was called closer in the Super Bowl. Our offensive line getting manhandled had more to do with it than our receivers getting manhandled.
    In Elway We Trust

15. The Following 4 Users High Fived CrazyHorse For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHorse View Post
    It would have made no difference if it was called closer in the Super Bowl. Our offensive line getting manhandled had more to do with it than our receivers getting manhandled.
    This is absolutely true. Doesn't change that they do it though.

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by gregbroncs View Post
    This is absolutely true. Doesn't change that they do it though.
    Had it been called consistently throughout the season though Seattle might not have made it there.
    In Elway We Trust

18. The Following User High Fived CrazyHorse For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I agree with this. I dont want this league to become the arena league where 40-50 pts a game is the norm. I like solid defensive play even if it means we got our asses kicked. Just tells me we need to toughen up as a team.

20. The Following 3 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I agree with this. I dont want this league to become the arena league where 40-50 pts a game is the norm. I like solid defensive play even if it means we got our asses kicked. Just tells me we need to toughen up as a team.
    In this age of fantasy football's massive popularity and things like the Red Zone network, I have a feeling that the NFL probably isn't too concerned on helping out the defensive side of the ball any time soon.

22. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Since when is grabbing receivers with your hands and holding them considered solid play?

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

In this age of fantasy football's massive popularity and things like the Red Zone network, I have a feeling that the NFL probably isn't too concerned on helping out the defensive side of the ball any time soon.
    No, it's about following the rules. The NFL knows there are many fans of good defense and big hits, and if it weren't for those darned concussions, they would allow the hell out of monster hitting. That is what has hurt a lot of defenses.

Quote Originally Posted by gregbroncs View Post
    As long as they call it even. Problem is teams like Seattle believe if you contact a receiver on every play the refs won't call them all and will just get used to the contact. And so far they have been correct. The contact they are allowed to make with receivers is ridiculous. Then other teams play it the same way and get called because their guys don't do it every play of every game. As games get more important refs allow them to play more and even less of these illegal plays get called.
    It's great they are emphasizing it now. But it means little by the time the real games start.
    This was my beef with Seattle all last year: 31 teams are bound by current rules; refs let ONE team play like it's 1970. Gee, wonder who's gonna win the Big One—but don't wonder MUCH....

I don't care if we use 2005 rules or 1905 rules as long as we ALL use the SAME rules, so it's fair. When refs make some teams play basketball against others playing hockey, it's a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHorse View Post
    Absolutely. Fortunately, we paid big bucks for many top free agents to fix what went catastrophically wrong from the Super Bowls very first play, so we're fine now, right? RIGHT...?
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

26. The Following User High Fived Joel For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information