Thread: Two Monitors - Help

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

Default Two Monitors - Help

OK - So I have two monitors at work. I have had them for well over a year - maybe two (im not keeping track).

On my left monitor (my "main" or #1 monitor) I have all the desktop icons for my programs - ie, Word, Excel, Roxio, etc.

On my right monitor (#2) I have all the desktop icons to my folder shortcuts

About a month ago I was going about my business when the screens flickered and all of my desktop icons moved over to my left (main) monitor. Just out of the blue - for no reason. So I drag all of my icons that were on #2 back over to the 2nd monitor and 5 minutes later - bam they all move back over to the main one.

I called out IT guy and he had never encountered such a thing and I did some googling and found some people with the problem but very few and no real good solutions or reasons as to why.

I did play around with the settings/properties and I will uncheck monitor #2 and then recheck it and the icons will stay on the #2 monitor for like a week and then just our of nowhere they will move again. Also, if I shut my computer completely off when I restart it they are all over there

I am using Windows XP

I am wondering if anyone has experienced this or if anyone has any suggestion on how to fix it. It's not a huge deal but I am starting to find it extremely annoying (in a Buff kind of way)

I dont want to have the IT guy sit and charge us for two hours but at some point I will give in and let him mess with it if I cant find a solution
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    More Americans have been killed by New England Patriots players than by Ebola.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

My advice is to deal with all of your icons on one side.

Seriously though - if both monitors are functional, I guess I don't understand why it matters where your desktop icons are. Are you one of those people who saves everything to your desktop and have 75 icons?

3. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

My advice is to deal with all of your icons on one side.

Seriously though - if both monitors are functional, I guess I don't understand why it matters where your desktop icons are. Are you one of those people who saves everything to your desktop and have 75 icons?
    I have shortcuts to all of my currently active cases on the right side - so yes there are a lot - when I arrange them I can find them easily instead of having to search for 5 minutes in a slew of icons randomly arranged on the screens (when they are all on one page they fill one whole screen - and yes I could get rid of about a quarter of them but that still doesnt help when they are randomly scattered)

It takes about 5 steps for me to go from "my computer" to the client folder I need - so the shortcuts save me a lot of time

I think that is why they are called "shortcuts"

So are they in a different order when they jump over to screen 2?

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

I've had 2 monitors at work for as long as I can remember... And I've always had my icons on my primary screen.

My guess is that they are always going to default to the primary. I keep all of my shortcuts in a "Shortcuts" folder on my desktop - maybe you could do that and then you'd only have to drag one folder over to the right when it reverts back.

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

Quote Originally Posted by dbfan2007 View Post
    So are they in a different order when they jump over to screen 2?
    Yes - just a jumbled mess

I've had 2 monitors at work for as long as I can remember... And I've always had my icons on my primary screen.

My guess is that they are always going to default to the primary. I keep all of my shortcuts in a "Shortcuts" folder on my desktop - maybe you could do that and then you'd only have to drag one folder over to the right when it reverts back.
    If I cant figure out how to make them stick -thats a great idea - thanks!!!

I might try making monitor #2 my main monitor and see if that works -

I just think its so weird it didnt start doing this until about a month ago - maybe there was some update or something that messed it up

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information