Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Guns of August, 1914

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Default The Guns of August, 1914

One Hundred Years ago today Imperial Germany declared war on Russia after the Russians began mobilizing their armies in support of Serbia after Austria-Hungary had declared War on the Serbs in retaliation for their involvement in the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand.

It was the point of no return. August 1914 broke the old world forever, and I am not so sure that what replaced it was an improvement. In my own view WW1 is the big one, the most important single event in human history. Certainly one of the most horrible. One hundred years ago today.

I'm going to track the cataclysm of August 1914 in this thread day by day. Feel free to weigh in
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

2. The Following 9 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Prussia?

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Prussia?
    A part of Imperial Germany since it was founded in 1871

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    A part of Imperial Germany since it was founded in 1871
    Austria-Hungary was originally Prussia, correct? I guess I should have typed out a sentence originally.

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Austria-Hungary was originally Prussia, correct? I guess I should have typed out a sentence originally.
    No, A-H is a seperate thing entirely. Austria and Prussia were rivals to lead the German speaking World in the 19th Century, until the Prussians thrashed the Austrians in 1866. Five years later, after thrashing the French in 1870, Germany was finally established, comprising a whole bunch of Prussia and a host of other small German speaking countries but excluding Austria. Austria had also united its crown with Hungary into Austria-Hungary - possibly the sorriest, most multicultural, most pointless, least competent, and most dissension filled great power ever. Lots of land, lots of men, but over ten official languages and a whole scad of angry ethnic minoritties who all hated each other almost as much as they hated the Austrians. Though perhaps they hated the Hungarians more. Who knows.

7. The Following 4 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

forgive me if this sounds a bit acamdemic/snotty, but how soon after the German Declaration of War against Russia was pearl harbor attacked by the chinese drawing the U.S into the pacific theater?

9. The Following 5 Users High Fived BroncoNut For This Post:

No, A-H is a seperate thing entirely. Austria and Prussia were rivals to lead the German speaking World in the 19th Century, until the Prussians thrashed the Austrians in 1866. Five years later, after thrashing the French in 1870, Germany was finally established, comprising a whole bunch of Prussia and a host of other small German speaking countries but excluding Austria. Austria had also united its crown with Hungary into Austria-Hungary - possibly the sorriest, most multicultural, most pointless, least competent, and most dissension filled great power ever. Lots of land, lots of men, but over ten official languages and a whole scad of angry ethnic minoritties who all hated each other almost as much as they hated the Austrians. Though perhaps they hated the Hungarians more. Who knows.
    That sounds a lot like the middle east.

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Here is your prewar Lineup

Central Powers

Germany
    Advantages - large well trained army, 2nd largest Navy, greatest industrial power in Europe
    Liabilities - The Kaiser is an idiot. German Generals who fall in love with their own plans. Surrounded by enemies East and West.

Austria Hungary
    Advantages - Large Army. Great cavalry uniforms
    Liabilities - Everything else. The Army is large but much of it has no loyalty to the Empire. Their chief of Intelligence is a homosexual blackmailed into being on the Russian payroll. The Emperor is senile, and Field Marshall Conrad Von Hotzendorf is an incompetant blowhard.

The Entente

Serbia
    Advantages - Terrain is mountainous and hard to invade. They will be attacked by the Austrians under Von Hotzendorf, and they already have a copy of the attack plans in hand courtesy of the Russians.
    Liabilities - no industrial capacity at all. They have everything they will have when the War starts, barring aid. The Army is small; they really are a flyweight mixing it with the big boys.

Russia
    Advantages Russia is huge. Its Army is huge.
    Liabilities The railroad system is primitive. It will take weeks to assemble the Army at the Front (up to 6 by most estimates) The Army is undergoing a major reform after the Russo-Japanese war demonstrated critical failures, but this is not finished by any stretch. Officer Corps is loaded with Aristocratic dunces. The whole rotten system is weaker than it looks

France

Advantages Proud military tradition, large well trained Army. Modern road, railroad, and industrial base.
    Liabilities French military doctrine preaches that the bayonet is the all conquering weapon, and that the zeal and ferocity of the French soldier with his bayonet will overcome modern firepower.

Great Britain
    Advantages - man for man the best trained most experienced Army in the World, bar none. World's largest fleet. The Empire may provide large manpower reserves.
    Liabilities - by European standards the British Army is puny. In any event, as of August 1 it is unclear if Britain will even fight. they have tried four times in July to mediate the crisis

TBD

Italy, Romania, The Ottoman Empire, and the United States
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 08-01-2014 at 10:49 PM.

12. The Following 8 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

For Pags' sake, can you make sure and document the role Canada played?

14. The Following 6 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    For Pags' sake, can you make sure and document the role Canada played?
    Will do. Wait for August 4th

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Today is Colorado's 138th anniversary - please do not sully it with this Russian nonsense from a bygone era.

17. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Today is Colorado's 138th anniversary - please do not sully it with this Russian nonsense from a bygone era.
    I believe this might be the most patriotic thing I've heard from you. or maybe I just listened this time huh? regardless, I'm proud of you Bif

19. The Following User High Fived BroncoNut For This Post:

Food is important here.

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    In the end, History is the only subject that matters. All the rest is window dressing

22. The Following User High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Gene Mingo

In the end, History is the only subject that matters. All the rest is window dressing
    I love History. If I thought I could feed my family with a history degree AND not had to teach snot nosed high schoolers that would have been my preferred route in life. Being a scientist was my fall back.

I fear that we fail to learn from our greatest examples.

Thanks for the line on the war to end all wars.
    Some of those that work forces
    Are the same that burn crosses

24. The Following 6 Users High Fived Softskull For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information