Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: The Guns of August, 1914

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Default September 22nd, 1914 SMS Emden and SMS Konigsberg

The German light cruiser Emden continues to evade her pursuers in the Indian Ocean, and on the morning of the 22nd she showed up with complete surprise at Madras harbor and shelled the oil tank farms there, causing a lot of damage for little ammo expended - a good thing, too, for Emden has no source of resupply.

In East Africa the Germans light cruiser SMS Konigsberg was the station ship for Germany's colony of Tanganyika. She is stranded, like all of the other German overseas ships, but decides to cause as much trouble as she can. This takes place when she catches an elderly British cruiser, the HMS Pegasus, at Zanzibar and sinks her in short order. All in all a bad day for the Royal Navy. Konigsberg does suffer some engine troubles though, and she retreats up the Rufiji river to try and fix her own engines. Parts are needed, unfortunately, and it will be a while...

Australian troops capture the German colony of New Guinea. Not much of a fight, and the place is pretty worthless unless you are looking for some stone age cannibals, but a win is a win.
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Default September 22nd, 1914 - France

After their defeat at the Marne the Germans withdrew to the Aisne river and dug in. French assaults were unable to make any headway, so the French decided to outflank the Germans by moving northwest, towards the English Channel. The Germans note the threat and march parallel. This phase is called the "Race to the Sea", it ends in a tie, and it will essentially lay out the front lines in Western Europe for the next four years. All of the armies in the west have taken note of the enormous destructive potential of 1914 firepower, and the answer for now is simple. Dig like crazy, dig fast, and dig deep. Trenches will provide cover against the rifle, the machinegun, and the French "75"

The Germans have formally replaced von Moltke the younger with Erich von Falkenhayn as the new CinC. Von Falkenhayn believes that the war cannot now be won in the West until Russia is defeated, and large numbers of German troops will from now on be shifted to the eastern front

In Galicia Przemysl is now surrounded, cut off, and under siege, with 100,000 Austro-Hungarian troops holding against a much larger Russian army.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 09-22-2014 at 08:25 PM.

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

For those who followed this thread, there is a guy named Indy Neidell who did and is doing an amazing series on Youtube, appropriately enough called The Great War. He started in August 1914 and took the war week by week in @10 minute segments, plus a lot of really cool bonus features. Lots of very cool footage, too. I can't recommend the series highly enough

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreatWar

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    For those who followed this thread, there is a guy named Indy Neidell who did and is doing an amazing series on Youtube, appropriately enough called The Great War. He started in August 1914 and took the war week by week in @10 minute segments, plus a lot of really cool bonus features. Lots of very cool footage, too. I can't recommend the series highly enough

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreatWar
    I didn't realize they had youtube in August of 1914.

8. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Trying to brush up on my WWI history in preparation for teaching about it next week. 100th anniversary of its end and what not.

I miss Dread.

10. The Following 6 Users High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    Trying to brush up on my WWI history in preparation for teaching about it next week. 100th anniversary of its end and what not.

I miss Dread.
    You listen to the hardcore history podcast about it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

12. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    You listen to the hardcore history podcast about it?
    Isn't that like 4 hours long?

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Each one, yeah, there are 4-6 of them. Worth it.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Dude, you would both enjoy listening and have great classes. Highly recommend. Anyone want to second this?

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Link me and I will think on it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

like you have anything better to do!

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Dude, you would both enjoy listening and have great classes. Highly recommend. Anyone want to second this?
    Will listen today.

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

I totally second it. Also the Fall of Rome podcast that Mo recommended.
    "We saw it…. the hussars let loose their horses. God, what power! They ran through the smoke and the sound was like that of a thousand blacksmiths beating with a thousand hammers

They rush on to the Swedes! They crash into the Swedish riters…. Overwhelm them! They crash into the second regiment - Overwhelmed! Resistance collapses, dissolves, they move forward as easily as if they were parading on a grand boulevard

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

This is excellent. The dude is a walking WW2 history book.

23. The Following User High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

I’ve been studying World War 1 recently, as I get older for some reason this great conflict has become irresistibly interesting. So I’m reading about the horrors of trench warfare and the staggering loss of young, promising lives, and I learned about the Christmas truce of 1914. It hit me like a ton of bricks. These exhausted, battle hardened men fighting in the cold wet bunkers getting gnawed on by lice and rats decided to stop fighting for a little while, crawl across their barbed wire and meet their enemies with food, spirits and goodwill in the no man’s land between their respective trenches. They held services for the dead, traded prisoners, and celebrated Christmas together like family. Frenchmen, German and English suspending hell on earth for a sublime moment of kinship. They even sang Carols together, some even from across the battlefield after they returned to their defensive positions. One of the most beautiful moments in the history of mankind. I am shook.

25. The Following 5 Users High Fived atwater27 For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information