Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The Guns of August, 1914

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

One last Note for August 1. The Germans and Turks sign a secret alliance. This will have serious consequences later on.

Italy also declares that it will not honor its treaty commitments to Germany and Austria-Hungary, using the rationale that because the Germans declared War on Russia first that they are off the hook. Later on they will entertain offers from both sides, essentially selling themselves to the highest bidder.
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Default August 2nd, 1914

The Germans invade Luxembourg. Why Luxembourg? Because the entire German War plan, the "Schlieffen Plan", envisions them sweeping around the French Border, through Luxembourg and (more importantly) Belgium. The Germans conquered two French provinces in 1870, Alsace and Lorraine, and they know the French have been seething over this for 44 years, plotting their revenge and reconquest. The Schlieffen plan works a little like a draw play; the German Army in Alsace and Lorraine will be deliberately kept weak enough that the French will drive them back, even as 70+% of the entire German Army sweeps around them on the French left, trapping the French Army and capturing Paris. Only one of eight German Armies will face the Russians, because it should take weeks for the Russians to deploy. So - knock out France with one enormous lightning stroke, redeploy to the east with all of their strength, and then beat the Russians. Avoid a two front War.

Belgium is neutral and completely uninvolved, and the British have a treaty guaranteeing Belgian neutrality. The Germans don't think the British will actually do anything about it though. Or they don't much care, because the British Army is very small.

One thing though. The current German Army commander, Von Moltke, kind of a depressed and pessimistic sort, decides to alter the Schlieffen plan by strengthening his forces in Alsace-Lorraine. He wants to hedge his bets, because he thinks the original plan is too reckless.

A small skirmish occurs at Jonchery in France, though War has not yet actually been declared. Both French and Germans have a single man killed.

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

4. The Following 7 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

With regard to the Armies and technology. Every nation in Europe except Britain has universal conscription. Every physically fit young man spends a couple of years in the Active Forces, then is discharged into the Active Reserves (think our National Guard.) After a few Years of this they will be entered into some form of second tier reserves. This means every Nation in Europe has access to an enormous pool of already trained Military manpower; its just a matter of calling them up, issuing them their weapons, drawing gear, and there will be literally millions of troops ready to fight within weeks.

The exception is the British, who have a small professional all volunteer Army. Much of this has actual combat experience, though, from years of policing the Empire.

These troops are all armed with some sort of magazine fed bolt action rifle, most with a magazine capacity of 5 or so rounds (ten for the Brits). These are high powered deadly accurate weapons. All of the armies have issued machine guns to one extent or another, big heavy water cooled tripod mounted things. The Germans are the most advanced in issuing MG's - by contrast, the Russians have them, but often didn't issue them because they were expensive and some officers figured the ignorant peasant infantry would only break them. Artillery is pretty modern, breech loading, and capable of very rapid fire - though indirect fire hasn't really been invented yet. All armies use a goodly amount of horsed cavalry; these will be useful for scouting, but nobody has any idea how useless they will be on a 20th Century battlefield.

Command and control will be an issue, as radios are primitive, very scarce and often don't work. The Russians have not even issued any code yet, and transmit orders in the clear.

6. The Following 4 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Softskull View Post
    I love History. If I thought I could feed my family with a history degree AND not had to teach snot nosed high schoolers that would have been my preferred route in life. Being a scientist was my fall back.

I fear that we fail to learn from our greatest examples.

Thanks for the line on the war to end all wars.
    dude, you sound like me. my undergrad was history, I went pursued science degrees later so I could get a job

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoNut For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

**** jobs!

10. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    **** jobs!
    yeah, I don't like working, it's not that I'm lazy, it all just seems so meaningless.

12. The Following User High Fived BroncoNut For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by AGap View Post
    it all just seems so meaningless.
    You have been reading Nietzche!!!

I some times wonder about the 5 days a week 9-5 slog, what is it distracting us from (what is happening behind the curtain!)

On a more serious note, i like this thread and the way it is evolving in chronological order.

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

This is a great thread. WW1 seems fairly forgotten by most because it's overshadowed by WW2, which had a much clearer villain. I think WW1 is much more interesting for that very reason.

16. The Following 4 Users High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Yeah - true, but both were brewing for ages and just needed a scapegoat to officially start the whole thing off

I am curious what the various forces had for food rations throughout. This would have a big impact on the outcome, and also be quite interesting.

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I am curious what the various forces had for food rations throughout. This would have a big impact on the outcome, and also be quite interesting.
    I think Europe has a ton of KFC's.

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    That would become pretty decisive eventually. Neither Britain nor Germany were self sufficient, especially in food, and both would try to exploit this via blockade. The Germans caused a lot of damage via submarine blockade, but it wasn't a War winner and eventually so pissed off the U.S. that we got involved. The British employed an old school naval blockade, though they did it by shutting down the North Sea rather than closely blockading ports. By 1916 the Germans were eating acorns. By 1918 the Germans were starving (literally) and it broke their Home front.

21. The Following User High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Dread thanks for making a thread that ensures I login everyday.

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post
    Dread thanks for making a thread that ensures I login everyday.
    Yeah, I know some basics about WWI but I think I've learned more about it in this thread than I ever knew.

25. The Following User High Fived tripleoption For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Default The Schlieffen Plan

How the Schlieffen plan was supposed to work. You can easily see why invading Belgium is required for it to be practicable. Too bad for the Belgians.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schlieffen_Plan.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	5155

27. The Following User High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information