Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Been to any good gigs recently?

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

KoRn and Breaking Benjamin in Little Rock last night. I’ve probably seen KoRn half a dozen times and this is my 3rd time seeing BB. KoRn is just outstanding. If you haven’t seen them, even if you’re not a huge fan and just like a song or two, they are worth it. Such a fantastic live band. I happen to be a huge fan and always try to see them on tour. One of the few bands I’ve seen (and I’ve seen a shitload) that rates a 10/10 for concert experience.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    KoRn and Breaking Benjamin in Little Rock last night. I’ve probably seen KoRn half a dozen times and this is my 3rd time seeing BB. KoRn is just outstanding. If you haven’t seen them, even if you’re not a huge fan and just like a song or two, they are worth it. Such a fantastic live band. I happen to be a huge fan and always try to see them on tour. One of the few bands I’ve seen (and I’ve seen a shitload) that rates a 10/10 for concert experience.
    Korn opening for Metallica at Mile High Stadium was a formative experience for me. Not a band I listen to at all anymore -- but a perennially underrated band and live show IMO.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Buff is such a hard ass it ******* hurts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

6. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds are going to be in Denver in October. Not necessarily an artist I listen to a ton but I'll be damned if that isn't an intriguing concert. I bet he puts on a helluva show.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Poet View Post
    Buff is such a hard ass it ******* hurts.
    Slim and I are all about love at the end of the day. Not, like, together - but broadly speaking.

9. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

And maybe together, too, just not necessarily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I might go an see this Murder by Death thing Chazzy keeps hypin. Friday @ Ogden. Would take my son, he's all about the electric cello these days, but it's a 16+ event. I think I could sneak him in though.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I love Dave Grohl.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Got tix today for Osees at Red Rocks on May 15th.

What will we get? Will it be folk rock? Will it be punk? Psychedelic? Surfer? Minimalist LCD shoegaze?

https://open.spotify.com/track/7kq6R...Rd-QQ2JfLRwr2w

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

tomorrow night...

17. The Following 3 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    tomorrow night...
    I expect a detailed review.

19. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    I expect a detailed review.
    I went to see Osees tonight at Red Rocks with a disc golf buddy from the neighborhood. His musical knowledge outstrips mine. The kind of cat who you share your hidden gem band, and he turns it back on you like 'yeah, and the drummer had a side project with the guy from _____, that was incredible'.

We tailgated and decided to skip the opening band. He said that Wilco and Sleater-Kinney had a Red Rocks show. But what a weird pairing, right? Yeah. He knew about YFH but didn't know as much or really anything about A Ghost is Born. His catnip is noise rock, like Big Black and Helmet and Shellac and so on. So I turned him on to A Ghost is Born and he shared Tom Waits swordfishtrombone. This was our pregame. If Wilco has the same lineup for this show (ie if Nels Cline is going to join the band on guitar) we are def going.

So the Osees show.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the list.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	18538

So if you don't have any clue, if you like punk / hard rock meets stoner rock and maybe some jam band shit, you'd like them. Live in SF is their staple sound. There's the list, you can get the gist of it from spotify or y/t or w/e.

As far as this show goes, I'd like to give it a kind of critic's review. I never get to put on my critics hat and go ham, and I'd like to.

The first thing I'll say is that the guitarist and bassist both were barefoot. Maybe the drummers and the keyboard player too, but I couldn't see.

This has already gone off the rails, my review, this isn't what a critic does: points out barefootness.

Speaking of going off the rails, the Osees went off the rails a few times and I appreciated that. No script. Authentic. On stage halfway through the show: "ok, here's our meat and potatoes that you actually came to hear. oh shit, I shouldn't say that up here. It's ok, I'm still learning." Something about how intensely hard-working and consummate this band is, coupled with this kind of genuine humility, it made me feel so welcome to listen to them. Because they would go off the rails musically--the damned dude was tapping his guitar amp cable that he'd unplugged on one of the drummer's cymbals ffs--and this is a pretentious experimental thing, a possible waste of everyone's time--but it was within the context of 'we expect this song will land in the 5-15 minute range, we are taking liberties and maybe it works maybe not'.

I was so happy for that. Real live music. And not just live music, but a live show from a five-piece meant to crash race cars at high speed. What I mean by that is this band has an all-time rhythm section. The kind of grooves that the Grateful Dead would have sacrificed a '79 Westphalia for. You never want them to end, and they make you want to dance. But then there's this Bauhaus screechy guitar thing happening. Within a rumba. I don't know, it's hard to explain and you had to be there.

But that rhythm section made you want to jam if you could. Just too choice, the grooves. So they could take all kinds of chances, musically, the keyboard player and guitarist. There was no way they could f*** it up. They had that rhythm section.

Anyways.

Good show, I came twice.

Oh, actually, I have a story.

So it's general seating and we scooted down a few rows. I had just begun standing by this person who was sitting down and I feel something on my knee. I think she hit my knee, as in she struck it in anger. Then she makes this super exaggerated 'I'm so fed up with you people' theatrical slide a foot away from me. Keep in mind the ampitheater is about 50% or so for covid, maybe slightly less.

I looked at her and she stared death upon me. I said 'I'm sorry am I in your space?' and she was very much in distress about the situation and hateful of me in particular, she said something something 'we are in the middle of a pandemic' and so I retreated a row or two away. She ended up leaving the show about 30 minutes early. I don't get it. She had to know what she was getting into, yet she seemed so desperately unhappy. I felt bad for her.

One dude was high af and fell down some stairs. He was a bit chunky. He popped up and said 'I'm good!'. We all exchanged a look and agreed that no, he actually probably wasn't.

tl;dr: show kicked ass

21. The Following 4 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I went to see Osees tonight at Red Rocks with a disc golf buddy from the neighborhood. His musical knowledge outstrips mine. The kind of cat who you share your hidden gem band, and he turns it back on you like 'yeah, and the drummer had a side project with the guy from _____, that was incredible'.

We tailgated and decided to skip the opening band. He said that Wilco and Sleater-Kinney had a Red Rocks show. But what a weird pairing, right? Yeah. He knew about YFH but didn't know as much or really anything about A Ghost is Born. His catnip is noise rock, like Big Black and Helmet and Shellac and so on. So I turned him on to A Ghost is Born and he shared Tom Waits swordfishtrombone. This was our pregame. If Wilco has the same lineup for this show (ie if Nels Cline is going to join the band on guitar) we are def going.

So the Osees show.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the list.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	18538

So if you don't have any clue, if you like punk / hard rock meets stoner rock and maybe some jam band shit, you'd like them. Live in SF is their staple sound. There's the list, you can get the gist of it from spotify or y/t or w/e.

As far as this show goes, I'd like to give it a kind of critic's review. I never get to put on my critics hat and go ham, and I'd like to.

The first thing I'll say is that the guitarist and bassist both were barefoot. Maybe the drummers and the keyboard player too, but I couldn't see.

This has already gone off the rails, my review, this isn't what a critic does: points out barefootness.

Speaking of going off the rails, the Osees went off the rails a few times and I appreciated that. No script. Authentic. On stage halfway through the show: "ok, here's our meat and potatoes that you actually came to hear. oh shit, I shouldn't say that up here. It's ok, I'm still learning." Something about how intensely hard-working and consummate this band is, coupled with this kind of genuine humility, it made me feel so welcome to listen to them. Because they would go off the rails musically--the damned dude was tapping his guitar amp cable that he'd unplugged on one of the drummer's cymbals ffs--and this is a pretentious experimental thing, a possible waste of everyone's time--but it was within the context of 'we expect this song will land in the 5-15 minute range, we are taking liberties and maybe it works maybe not'.

I was so happy for that. Real live music. And not just live music, but a live show from a five-piece meant to crash race cars at high speed. What I mean by that is this band has an all-time rhythm section. The kind of grooves that the Grateful Dead would have sacrificed a '79 Westphalia for. You never want them to end, and they make you want to dance. But then there's this Bauhaus screechy guitar thing happening. Within a rumba. I don't know, it's hard to explain and you had to be there.

But that rhythm section made you want to jam if you could. Just too choice, the grooves. So they could take all kinds of chances, musically, the keyboard player and guitarist. There was no way they could f*** it up. They had that rhythm section.

Anyways.

Good show, I came twice.

Oh, actually, I have a story.

So it's general seating and we scooted down a few rows. I had just begun standing by this person who was sitting down and I feel something on my knee. I think she hit my knee, as in she struck it in anger. Then she makes this super exaggerated 'I'm so fed up with you people' theatrical slide a foot away from me. Keep in mind the ampitheater is about 50% or so for covid, maybe slightly less.

I looked at her and she stared death upon me. I said 'I'm sorry am I in your space?' and she was very much in distress about the situation and hateful of me in particular, she said something something 'we are in the middle of a pandemic' and so I retreated a row or two away. She ended up leaving the show about 30 minutes early. I don't get it. She had to know what she was getting into, yet she seemed so desperately unhappy. I felt bad for her.

One dude was high af and fell down some stairs. He was a bit chunky. He popped up and said 'I'm good!'. We all exchanged a look and agreed that no, he actually probably wasn't.

tl;dr: show kicked ass
    Its not a Red Rocks show without someone falling down the stairs! All the good beer is at the top, not to mention the nicer restroooms.

Worst experience I had there was when we had reserved seats for a show and a group of 4-5 teenager/20 somethings wormed their way into our section and were high as kites on Molly or something. I could tolerate it for a bit until one of them started petting the seat behind me and crying. Red Rocks is the best and worst all at once, but its always memorable. Got a show there in July for Caamp then seeing Bill Burr in September. Their Film on the Rocks looks solid this year, especially the drive-in shows: https://www.redrocksonline.com/film/

24. The Following 2 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Its not a Red Rocks show without someone falling down the stairs! All the good beer is at the top, not to mention the nicer restroooms.

Worst experience I had there was when we had reserved seats for a show and a group of 4-5 teenager/20 somethings wormed their way into our section and were high as kites on Molly or something. I could tolerate it for a bit until one of them started petting the seat behind me and crying. Red Rocks is the best and worst all at once, but its always memorable. Got a show there in July for Caamp then seeing Bill Burr in September. Their Film on the Rocks looks solid this year, especially the drive-in shows: https://www.redrocksonline.com/film/
    Nice! Caamp is one of my favorites these past few years.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information