Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast

Thread: Been to any good gigs recently?

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Caught Phantogram at Red Rocks tonight, better than I expected. I hadn't kept up with the new stuff and was surprised by how aggressive some of it was...kind of a SOAD/RATM feeling with some of it. Should probably sleep on it, but would say it's the best live show I've ever seen. Not that I'm a big concert guy...I never did see Tool live. Maybe I should just get out more.

Part of it was the undercard act, Tycho. I heard of them from youtube because they show up when I'm listening to Explosions in the Sky or GY!BE or Mogwai, but they never really touched me. Was blown away by how good they are live vs. recorded. One of those bands that seems like some dude with a digital studio putting out stuff on youtube but the truth is that it's one of the best live performances I've seen from the pop music genre. Think jazz jam band but more electronic and percussion, plus the AV component was just brilliant.

Went there with a free ticket hoping to catch one of my favorite bands in recent times, but came away with a far better experience than I expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

2. The Following 6 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I have no idea who that is. Salute for Red Rocks.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I have no idea who that is. Salute for Red Rocks.
    Of course you don’t. They aren’t top 40 pop.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post
    Of course you don’t. They aren’t top 40 pop.
    I couldn't name you a single song on the chart right now.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I slept on it, was best live music event I've seen. It wasn't the music, although that was nice, it was the combination of venue, seats (center front of GA), and the visuals. Especially Tycho's visuals, was better than a hallucinagenic. Definitely catch either Tycho or Phantogram if you can, they do a great show. Tycho's drummer is something special if you like drums.

I think the best thing was Sarah, the singer of Phantogram. Besides being hot and wearing a sexy thing that wasn't Lady Gaga ridiculous, she was a bona fide singer. The kind like when you hear a great gospel singer or some Middle Eastern songstress and she has that power. Like the local girl that did the national anthem that one time. Like it goes straight from her soul to the audience, and she's all naked. She also came across as genuine and vulnerable--not fake--when she talked to the audience. I could never marry someone like that because I'd do everything she says.

Here's all I could find, but it doesn't do any of it justice. The bass was so omfg.

"You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I slept on it, was best live music event I've seen. It wasn't the music, although that was nice, it was the combination of venue, seats (center front of GA), and the visuals. Especially Tycho's visuals, was better than a hallucinagenic. Definitely catch either Tycho or Phantogram if you can, they do a great show. Tycho's drummer is something special if you like drums.

I think the best thing was Sarah, the singer of Phantogram. Besides being hot and wearing a sexy thing that wasn't Lady Gaga ridiculous, she was a bona fide singer. The kind like when you hear a great gospel singer or some Middle Eastern songstress and she has that power. Like the local girl that did the national anthem that one time. Like it goes straight from her soul to the audience, and she's all naked. She also came across as genuine and vulnerable--not fake--when she talked to the audience. I could never marry someone like that because I'd do everything she says.

Here's all I could find, but it doesn't do any of it justice. The bass was so omfg.

But did you get a funnel cake?

10. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

But did you get a funnel cake?
    No, but the girl next to me kept insisting that I give it a try all throughout the show. Was one of those half neat--she's cute--half annoying--she's pushing too hard--experiences.

That kind of funnel cake?

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    No, but the girl next to me kept insisting that I give it a try all throughout the show. Was one of those half neat--she's cute--half annoying--she's pushing too hard--experiences.

That kind of funnel cake?
    doesn't sound like the funnel cake was all she wanted you to try. . .

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Hey, so I'm looking for a show recommend. Going to spend a week or so in Seattle soon and thought about seeing one of these acts, if anyone can vouch for quality:

Owl City
    Foo Fighters
    Bruce Springsteen

haha ok, here's the real list, only one I know much about is Calexico:

Timecop1983
    Liam Gallagher
    Calexico
    Pouya
    King Gizzard
    Lord Huron
    First Church of the Sacred Silversexual (kind of a Bowie cover/parody/revival type thing I think, looks fun)
    Company of Thieves
    Handsome Ghost
    Xavier Rudd
    Cake and the Sea
    Handsome Ghost

North, if you read this, there is also Sleep and Devastation on the Nation (Aborted, Psycroptic, Ingested, & More!) in town.

14. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Gallagher or lord Huron for me.

But none of them make me totally moist

16. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

never heard of any of them, but i think you should go to king gizzard. . .

18. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    never heard of any of them, but i think you should go to king gizzard. . .
    that's toward the top of the list! they are, perhaps unsurprisingly, kind of a nu-zappa thing. not bad.

edit: I bet slick would like.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Liam.

But definitely check out that Owl City concert!

21. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Looking forward to The Eagles/Jimmy Buffet tonight at Coors Field.

23. The Following 6 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Looking forward to The Eagles/Jimmy Buffet tonight at Coors Field.
    The only things that would make this better are if it were at Red Rocks and there is a funnel cake kiosk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

25. The Following 3 Users High Fived slim For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information