Thread: Won't Be Seeing Cubs On WGN Anymore

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Default Won't Be Seeing Cubs On WGN Anymore

...unless you live in the Chicago area. Same is true for the Bulls, Blackhawks and White Sox.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...chicago-sports

Another American institution is going away. Some of my first memories of owning cable was being able to watch Cubs games in the afternoon and marveling at how clearly you could see the blades of grass even though you were watching a signal that went from the ballpark to the tv studio to up to a satellite and back to the local carrier and then amped several times on the way to your house.

Jack Brickhouse and Lou Boudreau. Later, Harry Caray and Steve Stone. The Cubs almost always sucked but they sucked entertainingly. And their announcers were such homers; it all worked so well because you knew, in the end, the Cubs would still suck.

But it was daytime baseball when there was nothing else to watch in the summer so I watched.

If you want to remember what it used to be like, here's a classic from 1979:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFrwJZRZYFI
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

It's why I'm a Cubs fan. I haven't much cared the last few years. At least when WGN owned the team they had a lot of their games on. Baseball in general has really lost my interest in the last 5 years or so, should have kept steroids in the game.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Root Sports is out there. So far, they have Root Sports Northwest, Pittsburgh, and Rocky Mountain, which carries the Rockies' games. Will be interesting to see if they will expand and pick this up. They also carry the Dan Patrick show and other things.

Their link - http://www.rootsports.com/

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

5. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    Root Sports is out there. So far, they have Root Sports Northwest, Pittsburgh, and Rocky Mountain, which carries the Rockies' games. Will be interesting to see if they will expand and pick this up. They also carry the Dan Patrick show and other things.

Comcast Sports Network Chicago owns the rights to most Cubs and White Sox games. I think WGN just pays to hook into their broadcast, because the scoreboard on WGN games says CSN.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Comcast Sports Network Chicago owns the rights to most Cubs and White Sox games. I think WGN just pays to hook into their broadcast, because the scoreboard on WGN games says CSN.
    Does that mean that Comcast can/will still broadcast them?

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

This is where I watch the Mariners play and Pac 12 football.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Does that mean that Comcast can/will still broadcast them?
    I don't know how long their contract is, so I don't know.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

The Blackhawks have signed to continue being shown by WGN but they will appear on the Local "Channel 9" feed only and not the national "Superstation" feed.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information