Page 3 of 104 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Soccer World Cup

Adopted Bronco:

I agree...Spain is my favorite to win it all.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Have to find a way to expose them to the game at a younger age.
    I coached youth soccer for a long time...even got my B license and coached Club soccer for awhile. The problem isnt getting kids exposed to it at a younger age...it's getting them to stick with it at an older age. Unfortunately, the system and social influences work against this happening. In any given association, the amount of teams drops significantly as kids get older. For example, my daughters team had 5 local opponents when she started playing at age 5. By the time her team was 14, we had one local opponent and had to travel all over north Dallas just to play league games. With girls, they are eventually swayed into basketball, softball and volleyball. With boys, they are swayed into baseball, basketball and football.

Despite the parental influences that sway these kids to other sports, there is also the financial aspect. When it comes to recruiting young players, the major colleges do not recruit from the high school ranks. They recruit from club teams and club teams are not cheap. I was the goalkeeping director for a local club team in the A league for 3 years. In order for a player to get on to one of these teams, they have to first be selected by the coaches...then the parents have to pay in the neighborhood of $3000 to $8000 a year for their kids to be on this team. On top of that, the clubs travel to all kinds of places for tournaments. So now you add travel costs and daily practices and events and it just becomes a scenario that the average family cant afford in both time and money.

So basically...the system itself plays just as big of a problem in keeping kids interested in the sport as the parents do. Football, basketball, baseball, volleyball, softball, track, etc. All these sports have college scouts recruiting from the high school ranks. Soccer is the exception. If you dont excel on a class A club team, you can forget about going to college to play soccer.

3. The Following 5 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

If Rio is a vuvuzela-free zone, that works for me. I get caught up in the nationalism but I've never been rabid about soccer. Hard to accept a sport where the authority figures wear shorts. And their means of distributing punishment is so ghey - thrusting a card in the air! Stop that now or I'll thrust another card in the air! If I ever got carded, I would just sneer "cute knees, Wolfgang".
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

5. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

soccer is for men that fondle other men, but whatever homos, enjoy yourselves. thanks for the invite, but I'm out

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    I coached youth soccer for a long time...even got my B license and coached Club soccer for awhile. The problem isnt getting kids exposed to it at a younger age...it's getting them to stick with it at an older age. Unfortunately, the system and social influences work against this happening. In any given association, the amount of teams drops significantly as kids get older. For example, my daughters team had 5 local opponents when she started playing at age 5. By the time her team was 14, we had one local opponent and had to travel all over north Dallas just to play league games. With girls, they are eventually swayed into basketball, softball and volleyball. With boys, they are swayed into baseball, basketball and football.

Despite the parental influences that sway these kids to other sports, there is also the financial aspect. When it comes to recruiting young players, the major colleges do not recruit from the high school ranks. They recruit from club teams and club teams are not cheap. I was the goalkeeping director for a local club team in the A league for 3 years. In order for a player to get on to one of these teams, they have to first be selected by the coaches...then the parents have to pay in the neighborhood of $3000 to $8000 a year for their kids to be on this team. On top of that, the clubs travel to all kinds of places for tournaments. So now you add travel costs and daily practices and events and it just becomes a scenario that the average family cant afford in both time and money.

So basically...the system itself plays just as big of a problem in keeping kids interested in the sport as the parents do. Football, basketball, baseball, volleyball, softball, track, etc. All these sports have college scouts recruiting from the high school ranks. Soccer is the exception. If you dont excel on a class A club team, you can forget about going to college to play soccer.
    Interesting.

In scotland there is no collegiate level sport (this is one area where you guys have got it soooo right). Basically you play for your local club, scouts from professional teams then come to watch you play, if you have enough talent a professional club will sign you (as young as 8). They will then develop the player (whilst they still also play for their local club). At the age of 16, they will either cut you - or sign you to a professional deal ( like the worse ever free agent NFL deal X one thousand - the best part of the deal is free boots), you can then be pretty much cut at any time.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by daveaitken18 View Post
    Interesting.

In scotland there is no collegiate level sport (this is one area where you guys have got it soooo right). Basically you play for your local club, scouts from professional teams then come to watch you play, if you have enough talent a professional club will sign you (as young as 8). They will then develop the player (whilst they still also play for their local club). At the age of 16, they will either cut you - or sign you to a professional deal ( like the worse ever free agent NFL deal X one thousand - the best part of the deal is free boots), you can then be pretty much cut at any time.
    Problem here is we dont have any professional clubs to do this with. Unless you count the MLS as a professional soccer organization, but I'm guessing no country in the rest of the world does. Our better youth clubs wont pay the players...the players have to pay them. And if a kid/family has a choice between playing other sports for a much more nominal fee, why wouldnt they?

I coached both recreationally and at the club level. I've seen a bunch of kids at the rec level that were just as good, if not better than the kids on premier club teams. Unfortunately, most of their families either couldnt afford the fees or couldnt afford the amount of time the player would have to dedicate to the club. Having been through the system, I can assure the rest of the world one thing. The players you will see wearing stars and stripes in the WC next month are NOT the best soccer players we have. They are just the ones that had the money to play the game.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Problem here is we dont have any professional clubs to do this with. Unless you count the MLS as a professional soccer organization, but I'm guessing no country in the rest of the world does. Our better youth clubs wont pay the players...the players have to pay them. And if a kid/family has a choice between playing other sports for a much more nominal fee, why wouldnt they?

I coached both recreationally and at the club level. I've seen a bunch of kids at the rec level that were just as good, if not better than the kids on premier club teams. Unfortunately, most of their families either couldnt afford the fees or couldnt afford the amount of time the player would have to dedicate to the club. Having been through the system, I can assure the rest of the world one thing. The players you will see wearing stars and stripes in the WC next month are NOT the best soccer players we have. They are just the ones that had the money to play the game.

MLS teams have youth academies that attempt to home grow players like they do in Europe. The problem is the feeder systems are the travel teams and not the rec leagues.
    "We saw it…. the hussars let loose their horses. God, what power! They ran through the smoke and the sound was like that of a thousand blacksmiths beating with a thousand hammers

They rush on to the Swedes! They crash into the Swedish riters…. Overwhelm them! They crash into the second regiment - Overwhelmed! Resistance collapses, dissolves, they move forward as easily as if they were parading on a grand boulevard

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

U.s.a.! U.s.a.!
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

The back line has had a rocky start here.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

I am watching Germany Vs Cameroon - your game is not being televised over here. Who you playing?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by daveaitken18 View Post
    I am watching Germany Vs Cameroon - your game is not being televised over here. Who you playing?
    Turkey. 1-0. Fabian Johnson had a nice little give and go with Bradley for the goal. It was pretty. But the back line has given up several chances to Turkey, two that should have gone in the net probably.

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Turkey. 1-0. Fabian Johnson had a nice little give and go with Bradley for the goal. It was pretty. But the back line has given up several chances to Turkey, two that should have gone in the net probably.
    Klinsman is still trying to pick a back 4. Not a good thing this late in the game. Too late for them to get any chemistry before the World Cup. Altidore is doing all the right things except for scoring. I don't like our chances this year.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyBronco View Post
    Klinsman is still trying to pick a back 4. Not a good thing this late in the game. Too late for them to get any chemistry before the World Cup. Altidore is doing all the right things except for scoring. I don't like our chances this year.
    That's just Altidore being Altidore. I don't think that's ever going to change. Good thing we have good goalkeeping because I agree with youabout the back 4. I ddon't have a whole lot of confidence in them.

Weird stuff can happen in the World Cup. Ball bounces the right way, keeper gets off his line. Who knows? The US might surprise us.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Goldman Sachs had the U.S. at 250:1 to win it all. Our coach said it's not realistically possible for us to win it. And our group draw effing blows (because the competition is so good). That's an uphill battle.

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information