Page 2 of 104 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: Soccer World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by daveaitken18 View Post
    That made me choke on my coffee!! Yeah he is - but what a player.

I agree that the european teams might struggle with the heat - these tournaments are notorious for being won by a team from the host continent, so Argentina/Brazil have a great chance, i cant explain my inclination against them this time round - it is certainly not rational!

I am not too bothered about the time frame, i am used it from watching NFL! I remember the World Cup 94 in America - i was 14 and stayed up late every night eating pizza, crisps and chocolate drinking coke and generally loving life - i am looking to repeat that this year but perhaps with a beer or two.

I would love you guys to be this years surprise team, a successful world cup would do wonders for the game in the states - no doubt world domination of the soccer world is only about 10/15 years away anyway so a good showing might just bring that forward a little.

Do you live in Mexico? Are you Mexican? If so - you guys love soccer even more than us over here!
    Yes I live in Mexico at the moment. No I am not Mexican. I'm a bloody yank. The mexican team is a mess. I doubt they win a game. The only reason El Tri (the mexican team) even qualified is because the US team beat someone, I forget who right now, by scoring 2 goals in the last 5 minutes of the last CONCACAF qualifying matches and Mexico backed into a playoff against New Zealand.

They've had like 20 coaches in the last 10 years or so.

I love Klinsmann. He's exactly what the US team needed. If only we could get some of the young kids who end up playing football or basketball to play futbol, I think the US team would start to dominate. Those kids need to learn that players like Messi and Ronaldo make over 30 million a year playing for their club teams. That's a lot more than Peyton Manning and Tom Brady make. Maybe once they see the money that can be made, the US team might make some noise in the World Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
    Green another German with American father. Klinsmann has get over his German centric view of the world and embrace what American culture brings to the table.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Five German-born players is what I think I heard.
    If these German born players are better than our homegrown guys, I'm all for it, as long as Klinsmann doesn't give up on developing the talent in his new back yard.

Would you rather get blasted by guys like Clowney, Watt, Ware, Miller, Pot Roast etc... or go travel around the world making just as much money if not more, banging models, driving fancy cars, seeing the world? Easy decision for me.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Would you rather get blasted by guys like Clowney, Watt, Ware, Miller, Pot Roast etc... or go travel around the world making just as much money if not more, banging models, driving fancy cars, seeing the world? Easy decision for me.
    Have to find a way to expose them to the game at a younger age.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

If these German born players are better than our homegrown guys, I'm all for it, as long as Klinsmann doesn't give up on developing the talent in his new back yard.
    Green might be great promising talent but right now he not ready to play in WC.
    "We saw it…. the hussars let loose their horses. God, what power! They ran through the smoke and the sound was like that of a thousand blacksmiths beating with a thousand hammers

They rush on to the Swedes! They crash into the Swedish riters…. Overwhelm them! They crash into the second regiment - Overwhelmed! Resistance collapses, dissolves, they move forward as easily as if they were parading on a grand boulevard

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Have to find a way to expose them to the game at a younger age.
    I think they do, it's just that once kids get a little older they start playing football, basketball or baseball. I started off playing soccer as a little kid but then switched to basketball and baseball.

Maybe with the concussion scare, more Moms and Dads will encourage their kids to stay in soccer. Dave's comment about the US rising to power on the world stage in 10 to 15 years is something that everyone was saying 20 years ago when the US hosted the Cup. It just hasn't materialized.

Quote Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
    Green might be great promising talent but right now he not ready to play in WC.
    I had never heard of the kid until I read an article about Landon being snubbed and I thought I followed the team fairly closely.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

The Landon Donovan thing just rubs me the wrong way.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

I had never heard of the kid until I read an article about Landon being snubbed and I thought I followed the team fairly closely.
    He plays for Bayern Munich FC, is extremely gifted 17 year player. He trained with the US team their last go around in Europe and played in the US/Mexico game in Phoenix. He was overmatched in that game
    "We saw it…. the hussars let loose their horses. God, what power! They ran through the smoke and the sound was like that of a thousand blacksmiths beating with a thousand hammers

They rush on to the Swedes! They crash into the Swedish riters…. Overwhelm them! They crash into the second regiment - Overwhelmed! Resistance collapses, dissolves, they move forward as easily as if they were parading on a grand boulevard

10. The Following User High Fived elsid13 For This Post:

I would love a repeat. But I did an ESPN bracket and have:

Brazil vs Uruguay
    Germany vs Switzerland

Spain vs Italy
    Argentina vs USA

I think the U.S. makes it out along with Germany, which was tough for me to leave Portugal out of the knockout rounds but I wanted to pick an upset. I think Brazil beats Argentina in the finals and everyone gets nekked.

The Donovan thing was kinda foul.

12. The Following User High Fived Devilspawn For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I'd rather eat a bucket of broken glass than watch soccer. I just can't get into it. I'm surprised Americans are, unless you're from a foreign country.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    I'd rather eat a bucket of broken glass than watch soccer. I just can't get into it. I'm surprised Americans are, unless you're from a foreign country.
    It is the most watched sporting event in the world. Effing blows away the Superbowl. The amount of commercials during an NFL game is starting to turn me off.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Huge World Cup fan. The last two World Cups have worked out to where I was able to watch most of the games. I'm afraid this year I won't get so lucky.

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    It is the most watched sporting event in the world. Effing blows away the Superbowl. The amount of commercials during an NFL game is starting to turn me off.
    I just said its not my cup of tea, I didn't deny its popularity.

Yeah, the commercials are getting insane. I'm surprised they didn't run a commercial in between Downs.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

I think Spain and Argentina will be in the final with it being a toss up. Argentina's attack is awesome with Messi, di Maria, Higuian, and Sergio Aguero, but don't have much on defense or in goal. Spain is just loaded and Spanish teams are holding every major cup right now. Defending World Cup, European Cup, Real Madrid just won the Champions League against Athletico Madrid, and Sevilla just beat Benfica in the Europa League. Spanish soccer is at the top right now. Brazil will be right there if either falter, and have a great crop of midfield players. Brazil is just solid, but they lack some experience and it will be interesting to see how they do if they get in a pinch. Italy and Holland are always in the mix. Germany is usually a front runner, but have had a lot of injuries leading up to the World Cup and might be in trouble.

But with the World Cup anything can happen. I'll be rooting for the US, England, and Belgium (lots of EPL players). OOut of those 3 I only see Belgium advancing out of their groups.

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived BigDaddyBronco For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information