Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jerry Jones wants playoff expansion

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Default Jerry Jones wants playoff expansion

This is priceless.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...d-help-my-boys

The Dallas Cowboys have failed to qualify for the postseason each of the past four years. Could help be on the way?

Playoff expansion is set to be discussed at the Spring League Meeting this week, and, if Jerry Jones gets his way, the playoff field will be expanded.

In an interview with NFL Media's Kimberly Jones that will air Monday on "NFL Total Access," Jerry quipped a rule change "would help my Cowboys."

But would it really help? According to ESPN Dallas, the 'Boys would have missed postseason play over the past four seasons even if there were two extra playoff squads per conference.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Let's help average to get noticed. It's not like he's gonna get a home game at 8-8, which is what he cares about the most.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

poor cowgurls

5. The Following User High Fived ShaneFalco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

So does this mean that he going to expand to 10 teams per conference?
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Dear Jerry Jones,

How bout you win your division and actually win the playoff spot.

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I'm definitely not in favor of expanding the playoffs. I'm for tweaking the seeding a bit so you don't see something like a division with Seattle and SF where one team gets the 1 and the other gets the 5, but I don't think more teams need to be added.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I'm definitely not in favor of expanding the playoffs. I'm for tweaking the seeding a bit so you don't see something like a division with Seattle and SF where one team gets the 1 and the other gets the 5, but I don't think more teams need to be added.
    I don't know man....I don't think 10-6 teams should be left out of the playoffs. Adding another playoff game would just add excitement, and you know it would bring ratings.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

13. The Following User High Fived ShaneFalco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I don't know man....I don't think 10-6 teams should be left out of the playoffs. Adding another playoff game would just add excitement, and you know it would bring ratings.
    I agree it sucks that 10-6 and 11-5 teams get left out of the playoffs sometimes, but I still think that 12 is the perfect number of playoff teams. I would rather just dump divisions and let the 6 best teams in each conference in than expand, but I know that's a pretty radical suggestion that would never actually happen.

15. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Jerrah thought Botox was a good idea too.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

I agree it sucks that 10-6 and 11-5 teams get left out of the playoffs sometimes, but I still think that 12 is the perfect number of playoff teams. I would rather just dump divisions and let the 6 best teams in each conference in than expand, but I know that's a pretty radical suggestion that would never actually happen.
    If that were to happen the nfc east would be devastated
    Free Hotcarl!

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
    If that were to happen the nfc east would be devastated
    The NFC East would be the teams that would fight it. Every other division has been split up and moved around several times, although the AFC West teams and NFC North teams have been together since the beginning of the league, but they've had other teams added and subtracted with expansion and realignment.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

It just came over the ESPN ticker that they are tabling the talks about the playoff expansion until fall

I am not sure I like the idea - just another game to get injured during
    More Americans have been killed by New England Patriots players than by Ebola.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Depending on which conference teams are in, there is also a good chance that an 8-8 team makes the playoffs.

AND

NFL playoff expansion talks tabled
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...nsion-playoffs

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Well, let's see. Don't know how you would have three teams getting bye weeks without making a mess so let's say the three division winners and the highest-ranking wild cards get first round byes. Team 8 at Team 5, Team 7 and Team 6. 8/5 winner at Team 4, 7/6 winner at Team 3. 8/5/4 winner at Team 1. 7/6/3 winner at Team 2. 8/5/4/1 winner vs 7/6/3/2 winner for conf title at higher seed's home field.

Plug that into last year's standings and the AFC would be:

Pitt* (8-8) at KC (11-5)
    Miami** (8-8) at SD (9-7)
    Pit/KC winner at Indy (11-5)
    Miami/SD winner at Cincy (11-5)
    Pit/KC/Indy winner at Denver (13-3)
    Miami/SD/Cincy winner at NE (12-4)

(Pitt wins the tie-breaker over NYJ and Balt. based on better conf record and division record respectively. Miami wins tiebreaker over Pitt based on better conference record.)

In the NFC, it would be:
    Chi* (8-8) at SF (12-4)
    Ariz (11-5) at NO (11-5)
    Chi/SF winner at GB (9-7-1)
    Ariz/NO winner at Phil (10-6)
    Chi/SF/GB winner at Sea (13-3)
    Ariz/NO/Phil winner at Car (12-4)

(Although Dallas has a better conf record than Chicago, Chicago gets the playoff berth because they won the lone head-to-head matchup between the two.)

Therefore, no playoff for Jerry and the Cowboys even with a field of eight per conference.

You could scrap the byes altogether and have an eight-game first week (maybe Thurs nite, three on Sat, three on Sun and Monday nite) with the following:

Pitt (8-8) at Denver (13-3), Mia (8-8) at NE (12-4), SD (9-7) at Cincy (11-5) and KC (11-5) at Indy (11-5).
    Chi (8-8) at Sea (13-3), Ariz (11-5) at Car (12-4), SF (12-4) at GB (9-7-1) and NO (11-5) at Philly (10-6).
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information