Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Player: Sam show may be distraction

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Player: Sam show may be distraction

A player on the St. Louis Rams, speaking on condition of anonymity, says Michael Sam's upcoming reality show on the Oprah Winfrey Network could potentially cause friction within the team.

"It's an interesting case that he gets to work with Oprah and have his own show, but I think it does raise eyebrows and it may be somewhat of a distraction," the player told ESPN's Josina Anderson. "But this is our first time dealing with something like this, so we'll have to wait and see how it plays out and how people react."

The player also isn't certain if teammates are truly embracing Sam's presence or just being politically correct when it comes to accepting the NFL's first openly gay player.

"Clearly I'm not sure how everyone feels, but from what I can tell so far I think it's a little bit of both, honestly," he said.
    rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...al-distraction

I think this is totally a mistake on Sam's part. After he came out, and just before the draft, he kept saying that all he wants to do is play football in the NFL. IMO, he does not need to do stuff like this to bring more attention to himself.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

OF COURSE Sam is going to be a circus sideshow. Tebow's chaos is nothing compared to what this guy will bring.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

He is an average player not guaranteed to make the squad.

He is trying to get as much as he can as quick as he can. If he had loud game all this would not be needed.

6. The Following 4 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Was there ever a doubt this was going to happen? Once this became a political cause, the genie was not returning to the bottle.

The producers can profess all they want that they won't film practices or training camp, blah blah but they WILL be a distraction by cornering other players as they leave practice to ask them about Sam and their opinions of Sam and about showering with Sam and dressing with Sam and taking a pee with Sam, etc. in hopes of finding even one player who does not speak with glowing approval and then THAT player will be Sterlingized as a bigot, a hater, etc. until the team is forced to either release the player or send him to "sensitivity" mind-adjustment camp.

But, no, they won't be a "distraction"...
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

8. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Personally, I hope it is a distraction to the point that teams won't want to draft or bring in gays.

I'm sorry, but the NFL is not a normal workplace where this overreaching PC garbage of acceptance will work.

10. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    Personally, I hope it is a distraction to the point that teams won't want to draft or bring in gays.

I'm sorry, but the NFL is not a normal workplace where this overreaching PC garbage of acceptance will work.
    I disagree. There will be issues, uncomfortable moments, etc, but just because they're all big nasty dudes doesn't mean 90% of them aren't just like the rest of us. I think the military culture is a very similar workplace, especially in the infantry, and it's managing to work there.

Yes, there WILL be some hazing issues, it's going to happen, but there will be more gay guys no matter how this Sam thing turns out.

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by daveaitken18 View Post
    He is an average player not guaranteed to make the squad.

He is trying to get as much as he can as quick as he can. If he had loud game all this would not be needed.
    Here is the next related point. The Rams better damned well hope this guy isn't a stiff, because they will get flayed alive in some quarters of the sports media if Sam doesn't make the team, irrespective of whether or not he is any good.
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

14. The Following 4 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    Here is the next related point. The Rams better damned well hope this guy isn't a stiff, because they will get flayed alive in some quarters of the sports media if Sam doesn't make the team, irrespective of whether or not he is any good.
    Dude was SEC DPOY. I have a hard time imagining the Rams not being able to figure out a use and roster spot for him.

To your point though, fully agreed, if he's cut... whether he sucks or not, the Rams will be Chick-fil-a times 1,000.
    Last edited by Davii; 05-17-2014 at 06:35 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Works fine in the army.

Also I don't think accepting someone's sexuality and allowing them to participate in professional sports is pc gone mad - that just sounds like human decency.

I can't think on one reason not to have a Gay player in the nfl. Any more than I can think on reasons for ginger people not to play.

17. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by daveaitken18 View Post
    Works fine in the army.

Also I don't think accepting someone's sexuality and allowing them to participate in professional sports is pc gone mad - that just sounds like human decency.

I can't think on one reason not to have a Gay player in the nfl. Any more than I can think on reasons for ginger people not to play.
    Well, there is a high correlation with gingers being Scotsmen, and we wouldn't want that sort in our league. As an old song goes

"The Scotsman is mean
    as we're all well aware
    and bony, and blotchy, and covered with hair
    he eats salty porridge
    and works all the day
    and hasn't got Bishops to show him the way"
    Anyways, that was the song. It was on a record my Mother had. I claim no responsibility for the content.
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    Dude was SEC DPOY. I have a hard time imagining the Tabs not being able to figure out a use and roster spot for him.

To your point though, fully agreed, if he's cut... whether he sucks or not, the Rams will be Chick-fil-a times 1,000.
    I really think the DPOY award is really overblown. I watched a highlight video of all of his sacks, and not one time was he up against a LT. He was always 1 on 1 versus a RT. Additionally, only 1 or 2 times did I see him get a sack due to actually beating the guy off the line. Usually it was a coverage or effort sack 4 seconds into the play, once again, against a RT. I think that's why he was originally projected to be a 4th-5th round pick, then the bad combine caused him to plummet down draft boards. What do you do with an undersized DE who is slow? The whole concept of it being motivated by his sexual preference is really overblown, and frankly, it's offensive.

He reminds me of a DE from Boise State about 4 years ago named Ryan Winterstyk. Ryan was about 260, and had 10-11 sacks his senior year. He then went to the combine and ran a 4.9. He ended up being drafted in the 7th round just like Michael Sam, although I think he was a little stronger than Michael Sam. I think Michael would have fallen down draft boards after his awful combine performance, whether or not he was gay. I'm glad Denver didn't draft him because I don't see a need on our team for an "edge rusher" who doesn't have speed.

I hope he makes St. Louis for his own good, so he can make a good living. I hope he's successful in the NFL, but IMO it's a long shot.
    Last edited by Al Wilson 4 Mayor; 05-16-2014 at 12:17 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default OWN calls off Michael Sam series

The Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN) and Michael Sam's representation announced Friday night that the documentary series that was set to feature the first openly gay NFL player has been postponed.

"After careful consideration and discussion with the St. Louis Rams, 'The Untitled Michael Sam Project' has been postponed, allowing Michael the best opportunity to achieve his dreams of making the team," OWN president Erik Logan said in a statement. "OWN is about elevating and empowering people to achieve their best. It's clear that we, along with the world, recognize the opportunity that Michael has in this moment. We will continue to support him in his journey to earn a spot playing for the Rams."

The statement also included a comment from Sam's agent, Cameron Weiss, who met with the Rams in person on Friday.
    rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...work-postponed

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

22. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

good

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

although kinda sucks. i would love for all teams to have more of an insider look. i would love to see what the Rams org does as a whole before the season.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Haha.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information