Poll: Did the Broncos get better or worse?

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Have the Broncos improved their roster this off season?

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Bronc View Post
    I haven't posted anything on a Broncos forum since the old freak days, but this thread has gotten me motivated again. I couldn't agree more with Cugel, I believe Denver has improved considerably since the Superbowl, and since the start of last year. I don't believe losing Moreno will hurt either. Last year we had Moreno and a struggling Ball and Hillman to start the season. This year we have a much better Ball, a hopefully improved Hillman, and we need CJ or one of the rookies to step up, I have high hopes for both of our free agent backs, especially Bibbs. For those that believe losing Decker will hurt us, IMHO he was good, but overated. Sanders will add another dimension that we never had with Decker with his speed and run after the catch ability. He caught 67 balls in Pitt last year, with Manning, those numbers should go up considerably. I know that there are question marks with Harris, Miller, Clady, Moore and Big Vic, but with medical technology these days, recovery times are vastly improved (i.e. Petersen and Charles), I don't believe the injuries will be that big of an issue.
    As my friend Ravage said welcome to Broncos Forums.

For the most part I agree with much of what you said. I agree that Ball struggled early on in the year but by the end of season he was doing everything Moreno could do. While we'll probably know for sure I would bet that one the main reasons that Denver let Moreno walk away is because of how well Ball preformed down the stretch. I don't think Decker is overrated he is a very good number two receiver who lead the team in touchdown receptions two of the last three seasons. I think Sanders is going to be solid replacement for Decker overall. Sanders is faster but he's also much smaller than Decker.

2. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by broncohead View Post
    Moreno isn't special but his greatest asset was that he did everything good. Understood the system and could pass block and catch out of the backfield. Ball showed stone hands and had trouble with the audibles and system as a whole. Hopefully a year under him and a full offseason with the 1's will get him there. Maybe it won't. We won't know till the whistle blows. As for Decker he would have been a great asset for the next QB but with his price it would have hurt the team more then helped. We drafted a WR at the right time to learn the system before Welker's contract is up
    Well early in the season Ball struggled but by the end of season he was doing everything that Moreno could do. If he was 't I don't think Denver could let Moreno just walk away the way they did.
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 05-16-2014 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    Well early in the season Ball struggled but by the season he was doing everything that Moreno could do. If he was 't I don't think Denver could let Moreno just walk away the way they did.
    I love Ball dont get me wrong. Those were just some issues he had. They are correctable and he did play better as the season went on. I'm excited to see him as a full time RB

5. The Following User High Fived broncohead For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by broncohead View Post
    Moreno isn't special but his greatest asset was that he did everything good. Understood the system and could pass block and catch out of the backfield. Ball showed stone hands and had trouble with the audibles and system as a whole. Hopefully a year under him and a full offseason with the 1's will get him there. Maybe it won't. We won't know till the whistle blows. As for Decker he would have been a great asset for the next QB but with his price it would have hurt the team more then helped. We drafted a WR at the right time to learn the system before Welker's contract is up
    I agree, Decker's price was too high to keep. But that is a different issue. I'm excited for Lattimer.

As far as Moreno... I'll disagree. I don't think he did everything well. He didn't break tackles, he didn't hit holes with authority, and he CERTAINLY didn't have good speed. I also have to disagree that Ball has stone hands. We'll see on how much he's improved on blocking, but it didn't keep the offense from keeping him off the field the last 3rd of the season. So I can't imagine him getting worse. To me, it shows that the coaches and GM are pretty confident that Ball is the guy considering how cheap RBs were in the FA market.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

7. The Following 3 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    I agree, Decker's price was too high to keep. But that is a different issue. I'm excited for Lattimer.

As far as Moreno... I'll disagree. I don't think he did everything well. He didn't break tackles, he didn't hit holes with authority, and he CERTAINLY didn't have good speed. I also have to disagree that Ball has stone hands. We'll see on how much he's improved on blocking, but it didn't keep the offense from keeping him off the field the last 3rd of the season. So I can't imagine him getting worse. To me, it shows that the coaches and GM are pretty confident that Ball is the guy considering how cheap RBs were in the FA market.
    Moreno became a better runner as went along but he was still inconsistent. Critics can't deny he had terrific season that being the case why did Denver let him go. It wasn't because he was a locker room problem according what has been by Fox and Moreno's former teamates and I don't see how a matter of money because Miami didn't shell out a lot for him iirc. As good of season it looks like Denver didn't see him as irreplaceable.

As mention earlier Ball did improved as the season went. They started using Ball in situation that required him stay in for picking up the blitz. Moreno was good at picking up the blitz and I don't see let him walk unless they're confident that Ball can handle that duty.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    Moreno became a better runner as went along but he was still inconsistent. Critics can't deny he had terrific season that being the case why did Denver let him go. It wasn't because he was a locker room problem according what has been by Fox and Moreno's former teamates and I don't see how a matter of money because Miami didn't shell out a lot for him iirc. As good of season it looks like Denver didn't see him as irreplaceable.

As mention earlier Ball did improved as the season went. They started using Ball in situation that required him stay in for picking up the blitz. Moreno was good at picking up the blitz and I don't see let him walk unless they're confident that Ball can handle that duty.
    Yeah, I know I've been pretty hard on Moreno over the years, but I did like how he ran last year. He still is slow, but he ran hard. I think the team let him go because they wanted to move forward with Ball.

Like you, I usually defer to the coache's and GM's when it comes to knowing what is what on the field. They know what they had to do to cover for a player's defincientcies and if a player can be replaced...or how easily. Considering how cheap RBs were this offseason around the league, it seems that our coaches and GM is pretty confident in the players we have on roster.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

11. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post

I agree on everything. I just don't think every RB needs those traits. Moreno was serviceable and did everything well but nothing good. He could block, catch, run (yes not fast, not explosive, didn't run with authority and so on but he was a smart runner, got the yards he could and didn't leave yards on the field by dancing or running around). He is what he is. Would have been a good #2 though I don't think losing him is that big of a deal. He is replaceable

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived broncohead For This Post:

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

I'm fascinated to see the back-up RB competition. I agree that Moreno was the best all-around back that we had to start last year. He knew the system, could pass protect (with a few astonishing lapses) as well as catch, and finally gave 100% on every running play. He did everything he could, and that was just marginally enough to be better than the rookie. He'd have been the backup this year, and much like with Lance Ball we don't necessarily need to pay to keep that contribution around.

But Hillman needs to screw his head on straight, or he may be off the roster.

CJ knows the system now too, and there are a couple of interesting rookie RBs who might get a look if Hillman still can't apply his talents to on-the-field production. And hold on to the ball! Ahem.

~G
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

15. The Following User High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
    I'm fascinated to see the back-up RB competition. I agree that Moreno was the best all-around back that we had to start last year. He knew the system, could pass protect (with a few astonishing lapses) as well as catch, and finally gave 100% on every running play. He did everything he could, and that was just marginally enough to be better than the rookie. He'd have been the backup this year, and much like with Lance Ball we don't necessarily need to pay to keep that contribution around.

But Hillman needs to screw his head on straight, or he may be off the roster.

CJ knows the system now too, and there are a couple of interesting rookie RBs who might get a look if Hillman still can't apply his talents to on-the-field production. And hold on to the ball! Ahem.

~G
    I liked how Hillman was running but those fumbles just cant happen. I'd like to see him get another shot this season but who knows. RB will be very interesting.

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Hillman's a good bounce runner. I'm still not fond of him inside, though with bigger holes from moving Orlando inside to beast away, he might have a better shot. But first and foremost for him is ball security. It wasn't his strong suit in college either, so I'm not placing bets on him fixing it, but I certainly would love to be surprised.

If Kapri Bibbs can pick up the scheme, though, he's got the extra 10-15 pounds of muscle that Hillman just doesn't have, and might be faster on the football field to boot. I think Bibbs is probably destined for the PS - he's not exactly a pass-blocking machine, and only one year of college ball makes it tough to process a Manning offense. Hillman should have a definite leg up there.

They're giving Ronnie every chance: they removed a roster spot in Moreno, didn't bring in anybody but undrafted competition last year (CJ) and this year with a couple of backs, and even if they add another RB camp body it won't be a main hitter. He should have a spot.

If he loses it, that's kinda on him.

~G
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information