Poll: Did the Broncos get better or worse?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Have the Broncos improved their roster this off season?

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

It would be nice to have more than one competent running back.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    Really my only worry about this team.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

4. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    CJ sez, "don't sweat it, homie, i got it covered". . .

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    I think Bibbs will be on the roster. But I'm confused - you say CJ is unproven, but you want a UDFA to impress? CJ has already proven something by virtue of being with this team last year and learning the system. I doubt Bibbs or anyone else will show any more than CJ did in his first year.
    CJ made the roster and shows potential but had what, one good preseason game? Id hardly consider that "proven." So ya, it would be nice if one of the udfas turns out to be a beast. Is CJ better than any of our udfas? Probably....even likely, but maybe we can have the best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    I think Bibbs will be on the roster. But I'm confused - you say CJ is unproven, but you want a UDFA to impress? CJ has already proven something by virtue of being with this team last year and learning the system. I doubt Bibbs or anyone else will show any more than CJ did in his first year.
    CJ made the roster and shows potential but had what, one good preseason game? Id hardly consider that "proven." So ya, it would be nice if one of the udfas turns out to be a beast. Is CJ better than any of our udfas? Probably....even likely, but maybe we can have the best of both worlds.
    Right, I think we're basically saying the same thing anyway. A UDFA would have to be amazing to get reps during the season. CJ impressed last TC and still had limited opportunities once the season started. I assume any new back would be behind CJ on the depth chart and therefore have less touches.

9. The Following User High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    If you say so; he wasn't the #2 in Pitt, and they didn't have DT (even when Mike Wallace was still around,) so I doubt he's a wash for Decker, let alone an improvement.
    How do you figure that he wasn't the #2 WR? I don't know where you're getting your info from but he was second on the team in receptions (67) to Antonio Brown (101). Their only other WR of note is Jericho Cotchery (46). Sanders played and started every game for them. Cotchery played in the slot when they went 3 wide.

How does that not make him the #2?

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

11. The Following User High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Yes I think the Broncos improved the roster and I don't think losing Moreno is going to impact the team significantly. That said, we'll see how it all shakes out.

Adopted Bronco:
    Gene Mingo

I'm completely drinkin' the kool-aid. With a bit of luck in the health department, this team is off to the Super Bowl.
    Some of those that work forces
    Are the same that burn crosses

14. The Following 5 Users High Fived Softskull For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

I think Montee Ball is clearly an upgrade but that's about the extent of it, their actions tell me they're not as serious about beefing up the running game as they let on. I don't watch CSU and I don't see why an UDFA couldn't be as good as Moreno, but it sure doesn't appear to be much of an effort to upgrade the running game.

We'll see about Bibbs but I think they landed the wrong OU RB.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Timmy is a douchecanoe is the only real answer.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

17. The Following 3 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

I haven't paid attention this offseason, so I'll wait and see when the season starts.
    GO BRONCOS!

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Timmy is a douchecanoe is the only real answer.
    Yeah there was huge disconnect between the poll and the thread.

Adopted Bronco:
    KJ Hamler

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    This is a different roster. I think it's hard to compare the two, honestly.

Still the best team in the AFC, if that means anything.

The defense is markedly better.
    On paper.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    On paper.
    Yes. I'm pretty sure that's the only thing we can discuss at this point.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

23. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    On paper.
    Well, you can only look at it on paper.

QB: No change

RB: At best even, possible downgrade, since it's the same case of characters minus Moreno. However, with Ball possibly having the experience to carry the load, it could be more productive.

OL: Even +/- The return of Clady, if healthy, gives the line a big boost. I didn't count this as an offseason improvement, because it wasn't through the draft/FA. However, the fact is that his return should be an immediate upgrade to the line. My best guess is that we see Franklin at LG, the combination of Clady/Franklin will be a big upgrade over Clark/Beadles. Only time will tell, but Clady/Franklin/Ramirez/Vasquez/Clark will almost certainly be an upgrade from last year. If Franklin stays at RT, then LG becomes a big unknown.

WR/TE: Even +/- Basically, Decker has been swapped for Sanders. It's possible that Latimer could have an impact this year, but odds are against it. Assuming Welker doesn't lose several steps or have the concussions become a recurring theme, then the WR corp will likely be about even, but that's less due to Sanders being equivalent to Decker and more about the emergence of JT and Manning's ability to get the most out of receivers and spread the ball around.

On defense is where the Broncos appear to be improved, at least on paper.

DL: Improved. Should be greatly improved. Trading Ayers/phillips for Ware is likely an upgrade, combined Sylvester Williams with a year under his belt, Wolf back, Q. Smith healthy and ready to compete, Malik Jackson shining with playing time. Right now, the defensive line looks stacked. Three or four big bodies that can be rotated in the middle, and a lot of speed guys that can play end or inside on passing downs.

LB: Even +/- Considering how much the Broncos played nickel with two LBs, the loss of Woodyard, as much as I hate it, probably won't hurt. Having Miller from the start of the season (assuming no more immature idiocy on his part) will have the greatest impact, along with Trevathon having another year under his belt. Irving seemed to come into his own last year with all the playing time with the injuries to Woodyard and others, and the Miller suspension. There is likely no drop off here, and they should be an improved squad compared to most of last year.

DBs: Improved, assuming Harris comes back healthy. Just going to lump these into one group. Champ played in only five games last year, and most of those he was a shell of his former self and playing injured. So, his loss when comparing 2013 to 2014 is a non factor. So, then we look at losing DRC and replacing him with Talib. This is probably close to a wash, but I will give Talib an edge on being a tougher/nastier player. DRC was more of a speed finesse guy.

TJ Ward will be an immediate upgrade, and should punish his share of WR's going over the middle, not to mention stuffing the box against the run. Nacho started off great, but then trailed off, and the Broncos had a bit of a revolving door at safety. Now, Nacho, Moore, Carter and Bolden should battle for the other starting S spot. The Broncos should be in good shape at safety. If Harris comes back healthy, the secondary should be greatly improved. Before his injury, Harris was statistically the Broncos best corner. When it comes to nickel, the Broncos will have a number of players (Webster, Roby & Carter plus any TC surprises) competing for the nickel/dime spots, or starting RCB is Harris isn't healthy.

All in all, the offense should be close to even with last year, BUT it's possible the loss of Moreno and Decker could hurt a bit. The fact is that if their offense is even close to last year, then even if there is a slight downgrade, it shouldn't be much of an issue. If Franklin does move to LG, when combined with the return of Clady, the Broncos should be a better running team.

On defense, with the DL and secondary improved, and the LB corp about a wash (not counting "upgrade" from the fact that they will have Miller all year), then the defense on paper has been upgrade quite a bit, especially in terms of "toughness" and making opposing receivers pay the price.
    Last edited by Tned; 05-11-2014 at 10:16 PM.

25. The Following 4 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information