Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NFL.coms Analysis of All Broncos Draft Picks

Default NFL.coms Analysis of All Broncos Draft Picks

Not being a college fan, I have little more to go on than that: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/tracke...team-input:den

I'm a bit irate we didn't get a G OR MLB. I know we got Schofield, and saw some folks say he's started at G in the past, but a 301 lb. G doesn't sound like a road grader, especially at 6'6", and NFL.coms list of Schofields strengths and weaknesses reflect that:

"Good run blocker -- drives his legs on contact and generates some power through his lower body" but "Not an explosive drive blocker who can clear holes with regularity.... Late to reach the second level." Even more worrisome are the intervening notes "Average foot quickness. Tends to overextend and lunge in-line and on the move. Marginal reactive quickness and recovery speed for the outside. Exposed by edge speed (see Michigan State vs. Shilique Calhoun)—cannot cut off the wide rush and struggles to handle quick, inside counters" That's what got Chris Clark, and thus Peyton Manning, in so much trouble so often last year.

NFL.com projected our 3rd round pick as a 4th-5th rounder, summing up his "bottom line" thus: "Quick-footed college right tackle with experience playing on the inside and offers versatility as a utility swing backup. Possesses eventual-starter potential, but could always be restricted by athletic limitations and leave teams desiring better."

It's similar with Barrow: Yes, he's a LB, but 6'1" 237 lbs. with a 4.64 doesn't look much like a MIDDLE LB. This sounds good: "Moves well laterally. Can redirect and chase. Drops easily into zone coverage and shows hip swivel and range. Tough and football smart. Highly respected and hardworking team captain. Has special-teams experience and traits."

THIS sounds awful: "Small-framed -- is short and lacks ideal bulk. Lacks elite speed for his size. Average eyes and instincts. Gives ground at the point of attack. Does not play downhill or make enough plays at/behind the line -- too much production is downfield. Leaves production on the field -- in position but does not finish. Overruns plays (loses contain). Sucked in by playaction. Not a striker."

What he really sounds like is a slower thinner DJ Williams, whose brief stint as our starting MLB was a disaster, and who always drew criticism from many Broncos fans (NOT including me) for getting to ball carriers quickly only to be dragged downfield instead of laying them out on contact. Like Schofield, NFL.com projected Barrow as a 4th-5th rounder, which is where we took him, and stated HIS "bottom line" as "Undersized, athletic, run-around see-and-go reactor who needs to be protected to be effective. Projects as a Will linebacker, nickel defender and special-teams contributor."

Coming into the draft it looked like our best MLB was Nate Irving and our best LG was ?; coming out of the draft, it looks the same because nothing of note has changed.

Moving to the higher more prominent picks, NFL.com ALSO projected 2nd round pick Cody Latimer in the 4th-5th round, concluding their analysis by saying he "has a ceiling as a No. 3" WR, and projected Roby as a 1st rounder who "has a ceiling as a No. 2" CB. I'm less than enthused by spending our top two picks on a No. 2 CB and No. 3 WR with ceilings.

Proof's in the pudding; where there's life there's hope. Anyone know how much cap space is left to sign a FA starting LG/RB, and who's available?
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Not being a college fan, I have little more to go on than that: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/tracke...team-input:den

I'm a bit irate we didn't get a G OR MLB. I know we got Schofield, and saw some folks say he's started at G in the past, but a 301 lb. G doesn't sound like a road grader, especially at 6'6", and NFL.coms list of Schofields strengths and weaknesses reflect that:

"Good run blocker -- drives his legs on contact and generates some power through his lower body" but "Not an explosive drive blocker who can clear holes with regularity.... Late to reach the second level." Even more worrisome are the intervening notes "Average foot quickness. Tends to overextend and lunge in-line and on the move. Marginal reactive quickness and recovery speed for the outside. Exposed by edge speed (see Michigan State vs. Shilique Calhoun)—cannot cut off the wide rush and struggles to handle quick, inside counters" That's what got Chris Clark, and thus Peyton Manning, in so much trouble so often last year.

NFL.com projected our 3rd round pick as a 4th-5th rounder, summing up his "bottom line" thus: "Quick-footed college right tackle with experience playing on the inside and offers versatility as a utility swing backup. Possesses eventual-starter potential, but could always be restricted by athletic limitations and leave teams desiring better."

It's similar with Barrow: Yes, he's a LB, but 6'1" 237 lbs. with a 4.64 doesn't look much like a MIDDLE LB. This sounds good: "Moves well laterally. Can redirect and chase. Drops easily into zone coverage and shows hip swivel and range. Tough and football smart. Highly respected and hardworking team captain. Has special-teams experience and traits."

THIS sounds awful: "Small-framed -- is short and lacks ideal bulk. Lacks elite speed for his size. Average eyes and instincts. Gives ground at the point of attack. Does not play downhill or make enough plays at/behind the line -- too much production is downfield. Leaves production on the field -- in position but does not finish. Overruns plays (loses contain). Sucked in by playaction. Not a striker."

What he really sounds like is a slower thinner DJ Williams, whose brief stint as our starting MLB was a disaster, and who always drew criticism from many Broncos fans (NOT including me) for getting to ball carriers quickly only to be dragged downfield instead of laying them out on contact. Like Schofield, NFL.com projected Barrow as a 4th-5th rounder, which is where we took him, and stated HIS "bottom line" as "Undersized, athletic, run-around see-and-go reactor who needs to be protected to be effective. Projects as a Will linebacker, nickel defender and special-teams contributor."

Coming into the draft it looked like our best MLB was Nate Irving and our best LG was ?; coming out of the draft, it looks the same because nothing of note has changed.

Moving to the higher more prominent picks, NFL.com ALSO projected 2nd round pick Cody Latimer in the 4th-5th round, concluding their analysis by saying he "has a ceiling as a No. 3" WR, and projected Roby as a 1st rounder who "has a ceiling as a No. 2" CB. I'm less than enthused by spending our top two picks on a No. 2 CB and No. 3 WR with ceilings.

Proof's in the pudding; where there's life there's hope. Anyone know how much cap space is left to sign a FA starting LG/RB, and who's available?
    Oh noes!!!! The sky is falling. Better run and hide Eeyore. Our starting LG and RB are already on the roster, and were last year as well.

3. The Following User High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

Apparently Montee Balls late season improvement in pass blocking was even greater than advertised. Good thing we only need one quality RB. That we didn't, say, lose a huge road game because our starter racked up >220 yds and >6 yds/att but went to the bench with a bone bruise in the final period. Or get knocked out of the previous years playoffs when he got hurt and his backup couldn't average >2 yds/att for half a dozen plays at the end of regulation when up by a TD. What a relief! Hillman wasn't an adequate #2 in 2012 or 2013, but this is his year for sure!

At least we got a No. 2 CB with a ceiling and a No. 3 WR with a ceiling. The way we sold out on D (everywhere but Mike, our biggest hole, and right in the center) maybe the D can take us back to the SB by averaging 3 TOs/game and scoring more points than they allow; that worked out pretty good for KC, right?
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

i have to agree somewhat. I wish the broncos had traded their 4th and 5th for higher picks.
    Last edited by ShaneFalco; 05-11-2014 at 05:29 AM.

Apparently Montee Balls late season improvement in pass blocking was even greater than advertised. Good thing we only need one quality RB. That we didn't, say, lose a huge road game because our starter racked up >220 yds and >6 yds/att but went to the bench with a bone bruise in the final period. Or didn't get knocked out of the playoffs the previous year when he got hurt and his backup couldn't average >2 yds/att for half a dozen plays at the end of regulation when we led by a TD. What a relief!

At least we got a No. 2 CB with a ceiling and a No. 3 WR with a ceiling. The way we sold out on D (everywhere but Mike, our biggest hole, and right in the center) maybe the D can take us back to the SB by averaging 3 TOs/game and scoring more points than they allow; that worked out pretty good for KC, right?
    Lol. Ya, cause the offense is suddenly going to be horrible. Projecting a draft picks "ceiling" is going full retard. What was Bradys ceiling? Or Chris Harris? Shannon Sharpe? I could go on and on. Mlb doesn't worry me at all, the lack of RB depth does, but if you don't think, at least on paper, that the 2014 Broncos are better overall than the 2013 version, you're crazy.

7. The Following 3 Users High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

Default 8 pts. EIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Lol. Ya, cause the offense is suddenly going to be horrible.
    Suddenly? We didn't even have a FIRST DOWN till halfway through the SECOND QUARTER. Maybe replacing Decker with a 1st round rookie, Beadles with Franklin, Moreno with Ball and Ball with NOTHING will fix that, but I "frankly" doubt it, and don't think Clady, good as he is (or was) will singlehandedly make the difference even if he looks like his rookie year. And after playing with a bad knee throughout most of 2011 then having a career-threatening injury to the foot on the same leg last year, there's a real question how good he'll be.

Projecting a draft picks "ceiling" is going full retard. What was Bradys ceiling? Or Chris Harris? Shannon Sharpe? I could go on and on.
    No one's perfect, but Gil Brandt's been building SB dynasties since before we born: NFL.com pays far more for his analysis than for ours because it's that much better.

Mlb doesn't worry me at all, the lack of RB depth does, but if you don't think, at least on paper, that the 2014 Broncos are better overall than the 2013 version, you're crazy.
    On paper and in reality our QB's a year older and our starting RB, #2 WR and LG are gone, two because good enough to demand more than we can afford (the other because Manning made him LOOK that good.) Clady's theoretically back, but who knows how good he'll be or how soon. The only clear improvement is Cladys return, but we had him at the start of last year only to lose him to injury soon afterward, and after one nagging and one season-ending injury in three years there's reason to think we could lose him again.

On paper, the record setting passing that scored all of ONCE in the SB is worse in several ways, better in none.

If folks want to believe a 2nd round rookie WR>Decker and Clark+recovered Clady>Beadles+Franklin, fine, but that's dubious, and ignores Mannings odometer and Morenos absence.

Despite all the marquee signings, that story applies to the D also. Sure, Ware's a step up from Ayers (though not as big as many believe; Ayers wasn't awful, just a better run stuffer than rusher) and Ward can't help but be better than Moore, but is Talib+rookie 1st rounder>DRC+Champ? The first half might be a wash, but I doubt even a 1st round rookie beats even an aging Champ. Our best DT is a 330 lber (hopefully) returning from a dislocated hip, our best pass rusher and CB (hopefully) returning from late season ACL tears, and only God knows Wolfes state.

That's a THIRD of our defensive starters who were healthy as a horse at the start of 2013 TC but coming off serious injuries now. Moore's another, which may be why we signed Moore, but that illustrates the reality: Big and many as they were, most of our defensive additions didn't make us BETTER, just kept us from getting WORSE. Otherwise we'd have had money and draft picks for that huge hole at the heart of our D that's been there since Al Wilson retired.

I'm either crazy or not drinking orange Kool Aid, 'cause I don't see how we're better on paper. Maybe if/when every starter's fully recovered from injury (if others don't join them) but not now.

Ya OK Eeyore, our offense is horrible, got it. Its epically comical that you discount 18 other games last year but only count the superbowl. If you don't think the team is improved overall with all our off season signings, you're just a moron.
    Last edited by Timmy!; 05-11-2014 at 05:25 AM.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

Ya OK Eeyore, our offense is horrible, got it. Its epically comical that you discount 18 other games last year but only count the superbowl. If you don't think the team is improved overall with all our off season signings, you're just a moron.
    Care to cite these improvements? Ware's better than Ayers (though, again, not by as much as many believe) and Ward's better than Moore on a leg that may never be right again—but are they better than Ayers+Moore AND Champ+Moreno+Decker+Beadles? TWO guys are worth more than ¼ of the AFC Champs starters?! That's a hard sell even if assuming the serious injuries to Clady, Harris, Wolfe, Vickerson and Miller have no long term effects, a big assumption given the severity and number of those injuries, which didn't exist this time last year.

Our PASSING is stellar, even without Decker; our offense... 8 points in 60 minutes; no first downs in the first 20 minutes. Were our OFFENSE as unstoppable as everyone thought until the SB, our much maligned Ds stellar SB performance would've WON it by 35. But believe whatever fantasies make you feel warm and fuzzy; I won't even call you a moron for it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Care to cite these improvements? Ware's better than Ayers (though, again, not by as much as many believe)
    Sorry broham, have to seriously call you out here. While i can handle your concerns with players, drafts, etc this is by far the worst statement you have ever made. Ware is FAR better than Ayers my friend, and it isnt even CLOSE. Keep in mind the numbers about to post only represent Ware in the last 5 years (because he is older that Ayers) but even with his age has totally eclipsed anything Ayers has done at young age.

Robert Ayers- 105 tackles, 7 PD, 3 FF, 12 sacks

DeMarcus Ware (last 5 years) - 67 tackles, 11 PD, 14 FF, 63 sacks

How it is you believe that Ware and Ayers are even close is beyond incredulous to me. Ayers is nowhere near the talent that Ware is dude.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Care to cite these improvements? Ware's better than Ayers (though, again, not by as much as many believe) and Ward's better than Moore on a leg that may never be right again—but are they better than Ayers+Moore AND Champ+Moreno+Decker+Beadles? TWO guys are worth more than ¼ of the AFC Champs starters?! That's a hard sell even if assuming the serious injuries to Clady, Harris, Wolfe, Vickerson and Miller have no long term effects, a big assumption given the severity and number of those injuries, which didn't exist this time last year.

Our PASSING is stellar, even without Decker; our offense... 8 points in 60 minutes; no first downs in the first 20 minutes. Were our OFFENSE as unstoppable as everyone thought until the SB, our much maligned Ds stellar SB performance would've WON it by 35. But believe whatever fantasies make you feel warm and fuzzy; I won't even call you a moron for it.
    Sure thing Eeyore. You keep at it long enough and you will soon achieve master level in passive aggressive cynicism.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I like you Joel but I can't read your posts, let alone started threads. It'll be Father's Day by the time I finish.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Default Ware has ½ the tackles but 5X the sacks, which tells the tale.

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Sorry broham, have to seriously call you out here. While i can handle your concerns with players, drafts, etc this is by far the worst statement you have ever made. Ware is FAR better than Ayers my friend, and it isnt even CLOSE. Keep in mind the numbers about to post only represent Ware in the last 5 years (because he is older that Ayers) but even with his age has totally eclipsed anything Ayers has done at young age.

Robert Ayers- 105 tackles, 7 PD, 3 FF, 12 sacks

DeMarcus Ware (last 5 years) - 67 tackles, 11 PD, 14 FF, 63 sacks

How it is you believe that Ware and Ayers are even close is beyond incredulous to me. Ayers is nowhere near the talent that Ware is dude.
    That's not a slam on Ware, who's much better than Ayers—it's a defense of Ayers, who isn't nearly as awful as some folks think. Ware's a much better pass rusher, and that's the more valuable skill as the NFL marginalizes the run more and more, but if Ayers isn't a great pass rusher he's also not useless, and he's SOLID against the run.

The larger point stands: Ware's much (not infinitely) better than Ayers; he's not better than Ayers+Champ+Moreno+Decker+Beadles+serious injuries to Clady, Harris, Miller and Wolfe. And, while I'm one of the folks who looks at Moore like many people look at Ayers, Ward's not so much better he makes up the difference.

We're not better on paper than this time last year.

It was so nice around here leading up to the draft. Did you go on vacation Joel? Could you consider going back?

19. The Following User High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Ahhh Joel... back with his Doom and Gloom. Everything is better.....elsewhere. Everyone Else drafted better. EVERY other team is better and improved more than we have/will. It's terrible to be a Broncos fan, right now. IF ONLY they would have listened to Joel when he said to KEEP TEBOW!! Damnit to helllllll!
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

21. The Following 5 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Knew this was coming...
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information