Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cody Latimer

Default Cody Latimer

OVERVIEW
    Basketball was primary sport as an Ohio prep -- played receiver, defensive back and kick returner in his two seasons as a football player. Appeared in eight games as a true freshman in 2011 (two starts) and had 12 receptions for 141 yards (11.8-yard average) and two touchdowns. Did not play against Illinois and missed the final three games because of hernia surgery. Started 10-of-12 games in '12, recording 51-805-6 (15.8). Was the Hoosiers' leading receiver in '13 when he posted 72-1,096-9 (15.2) in 12 starts. Did not work out at the NFL Scouting Combine because of a left foot injury (medical exclusion).
    ANALYSIS
    STRENGTHS
    Very good size. Shows a jab step to get into routes cleanly and is equipped to combat the jam. Can use his frame and physicality to create separation on slants and "post-up" throws (strength was evidenced by bench-pressing 225 pounds 23 times at the combine, leading all receivers and besting some linemen). Nice catch radius -- extends to snag throws off his body. Soft, dependable hands. Nice strength after the catch. Good blocker -- subdues cornerbacks, shields, stalks and sustains. Improved steadily over three years as a starter.
    WEAKNESSES Is high-cut and shows some lower-body stiffness in his route running. Average burst off the line. Not a quick-twitch athlete -- could struggle to shake loose from more athletic corners. Lacks foot speed to separate vertically. Is straightlinish after the catch and will not make anyone miss. Marginal special-teams utility. Football was not his first love.
    DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 4-5
    BOTTOM LINE A prep basketball standout, Latimer is a well-built, sure-handed, West Coast possession receiver whose hardwood background is evident in his leaping ability, body control and hand-eye coordination. Lacks ideal explosiveness, gear change and flexibility. Could be effective running slants and making contested catches to beat zone coverage and succeed in the red zone. Has a ceiling as a No. 3.
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profil...mer?id=2543590

High School

Dunking

Hoopsfest

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

He didnt need the combine with that basketball video. Thats all you need to see to know that this dude is one hellatious athlete. I would like to see him go one on one in basketball with Orange Julius

5. The Following User High Fived Dzone For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dzone View Post
    He didnt need the combine with that basketball video. Thats all you need to see to know that this dude is one hellatious athlete. I would like to see him go one on one in basketball with Orange Julius
    I would say OJ would dominate him. He's so much bigger than Latimer. I'm sure they will be playing some one on one.

7. The Following User High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Not surprised to see a big physical WR drafted. One who can get of jams unlike Decker. Do not think it was worth trading up. He is a solid #2 I think. He is going to come it at #4 on depth and push Caldwell to the bubble, depending on how many WR they keep.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror218 View Post
    Not surprised to see a big physical WR drafted. One who can get of jams unlike Decker. Do not think it was worth trading up. He is a solid #2 I think. He is going to come it at #4 on depth and push Caldwell to the bubble, depending on how many WR they keep.
    Denver will keep at least five wide receivers so he's probably safe.

10. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    If so, I think Dreesen would be gone.

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post

Depends on who the returner is going to be. If our new kr/pr is a WR maybe not.

13. The Following User High Fived NightTerror218 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Dzone View Post
    He has presence, demeanor, and athletic talent. This guy will ball in the NFL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Hey I know demeanor needs some kind of adjective or something, but not in Latimer's case. That's why he's special.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

16. The Following 3 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

*The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

There's a baseball aphorism that if you have a California prep hitter and a cold-weather state hitter, and they look the same to you, draft the cold-weather kid. He hasn't had as long to play (shorter good-weather seasons) and hasn't had the same coaching or year-round baseball experience as the Cali kid.

Same way with wideouts: if the raw guy who grew up playing every down on offense and defense and occasionally punting on his 14-man high school team, then went to a crappy football school looks to be in the same bracket as the Southern Cal football star who had the best coaches money can buy and worked out at the coolest pro facilities... take the raw dude.

Some of the best receivers in the league the last few years, in no particular order:

- Calvin Johnson, who went to a run-first school and blocked for 80% of the plays.
    - Demaryius Thomas, who went to the same school as Johnson for the same offense.
    - Brandon Marshall, who went to UCF which at the time might as well have been Cakkalakka Prep.
    - Larry Fitzgerald, the all-world University of Pittsburgh, following a stint at Valley Forge Military Academy.
    - Victor Cruz, U of Mass-Amherst after the Bridgton Academy
    - Vincent Jackson, Northern Colorado after going to highschool in Widefield - TRUST me, not a major high school program.

You have your AJ Greens and Julio Joneses who did the major conference / major program thing. That'll happen. They get the best talent consistently, and Sammy Watkins will be another one. But when somebody slips through the cracks and winds up performing at the same level as the major conference guy with 1/10 the coaching and background, I don't have ANY problem placing bets on his upside.

Ceiling as a #3? When everything about his football coaching so far has been sub-par? Well, what did they say about Brandon Marshall back in the day?

POSITIVES: King-sized possession wideout who may eventually develop into a tight end. Physical, outmuscles opponents and comes away with the reception. Consistently extends and catches the ball away from his frame. Offers the quarterback a nice target, has soft hands and plays with excellent body control. Adequate blocker downfield.
    NEGATIVES: Overall game lacks quickness and speed. Marginal route-runner.
    ANALYSIS: Displaying significant improvement as a senior, Marshall presents himself as a receiver used in third down or red-zone situations at the next level.
    PROJECTION: Late Sixth Round
    He developed just fine once he got in the hands of some real coaches. Latimer has coaches AND Manning, and we've already seen DT develop on a similar path once he was introduced to Peyton. Cody Latimer is about to have all that talent shaped and tempered into an offensive weapon. Don't worry, this should be fun.

~G
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived G_Money For This Post:

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

What makes me laugh about the assessment I've seen of Latimer as a basketball player first (a la Julius) who doesn't have a love for football...

Latimer does NOT shy from contact. He blocks like a stubborn buffalo, catches everything ever thrown within 5 feet of him, enjoys fighting off corners in probably the most physical DB conference in college...

Football might not be his first love, but he devotes his whole heart to it on the field from what I've seen. I ain't worried about that. Andre Dawson liked basketball better than baseball, but it didn't stop him from being a HOF baseball player.

First loves are sweet, but I care about whether he'll put in the effort. He will.

~G
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by dbfan2007 View Post
    If so, I think Dreesen would be gone.
    It could be but I think Tamme could also the odd man out.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information