Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we be worried?

Adopted Bronco:
    Eddie Royal

Default Should we be worried?

I am concerned and want to know what you guys think..

First. Knowshon - 8 for 19 2.4avg

Thats BAD! I mean yeah, he is probably a little rusty and just needs to feel the offense out a bit more through reps in practice but shouldn't a talented back just be able to make things happen? I am a little worried.

Second. Ayers - LOST! Missing assignments, not applying pressure.

It hurts to see that. When you see a guy like Maualuga making an immediate impact or Orakapo. I'm not going to start cutting yet but I really hope we see some production out of them next week against the s**t stains.

On a positive note Fonzo looks great.

2. The Following User High Fived Shutdown For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Im not worried because i know we arent going to the playoffs nor are we winning the Super Bowl. Get ready for some pretty ugly football this year and if your not prepared, well i cant help ya. This team has undergone a lot of changes and its not going to be fixed overnight. As for the rookies, after 1 game im not sure im going to dump on them just yet. As for Orakapo and Mauluga, both of their respective teams are 0-1 not too mention both have better all around defenses than the Broncos. Dont commit suicide just yet.

4. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

This team needs time for it all to come together. They'll get better as the season wears on.

I cannot complain about the Defense at all at this time. Sure, they broke late yesterday, but the last two years Denver never would've won a game by scoring 12 points. The lowest before that I think was the KC game in 2006, 9-6 I think?

They'll be ok and Orton will get better, more comfortable and confident. There's a lot of new parts in place. They'll beat Cleveland I think. One game at a time and hope they get better is all I can ask for.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

6. The Following 9 Users High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Eddie Royal

Honestly, I'm not as worried about Moreno than I am Ayers. I haven't seen anything good from Ayers. We have a great group of guys out there on the field and I am wishing Ayers steps up and helps them out.

8. The Following User High Fived Shutdown For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

not even a little bit. . . it's way, way, waaaaay too early to be worried about rookies!

it's not a bit uncommon for guys to take a few YEARS to adjust to the NFL, let alone a few weeks. . . it's the nastiest, fastest, most physical sports league in the world-- not everyone is ready to step right in and perform at a high level from the get-go. . .

i think moreno will be FINE-- the kid's a talent, give him a few games to get his feet under him and completely healthy, and the production will be there. . .

ayers is a bit of a different story. . . the guy was a one year starter in college, and he's being asked to adjust not only to the speed and competition of the next level, but also to adapt to a completely different position. . . . that generally doesn't happen over night. . . shit, reigning defensive MVP james harrison was in the league four years before he even won a starting job-- he got cut two or three times, including being released from baltimore's practice squad. . . and he ended up developing into one of the league's most dominant players. . . the steelers are hands down the sport's best at developing 3-4 OLBs-- look at some of the other beasts they've produced recently. . . neither lamarr woodley nor joey porter started a single game as a rookie-- woodley had four sacks, porter had two. . .

it's not an easy transition, and if you expect overnight results from ayers you're almost certainly going to be disappointed. . . it's not like i don't really want to see him out there killing it also, but it was probably never a very realistic expectation. . . he's technically raw and badly in need of some time in the weight room. . . i did see his number around the ball a fair bit last week even if he didn't make any plays, but i pretty much consider anything we get from him this year as a bonus at this point. . . .

edit: some other notable 3-4 OLBs:

adalius thomas - 0 starts and not a single tackle or sack his rookie year
    mike vrabel - 0 starts his first four years, not more than 2.5 sacks any of those seasons
    calvin pace - 16 starts his rookie year (for a very bad team)-- no sacks -- 1 start the next two years
    shaun phillips - o starts his rookie year, 3 starts his second year
    greg ellis - 16 starts his rookie year, 3 sacks

of course, not all of those guys started their career at LB, but you get the point. . . ocassionally an absolute freak like ware or merriman comes along and kicks ass right out of the gate due to their overwhelming physical gifts (or chemical gifts, in merriman's case ), but it's not the typical developmental curve for a college end transitioning to OLB, at all. . . . patience, hard work and plenty of good coaching is required. . . .
    Last edited by dogfish; 09-15-2009 at 02:48 AM.
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

Relax! It was everyone's first game. Everyone was rusty. I am referring to all NFL teams.

11. The Following User High Fived Magnificent Seven For This Post:

As was stated above ayers changing from a hand on the ground DE. To an OLB that palys in space. Major difference in exprinece.

As for malauga he stepped into a starting spot at his old position on an established defense that knew the scheme. Had he been on last years team for us he would have stepped right in and played well.

As for moreno just how much time has he got to play so far and is his knee 110%. I suspect he will see spot duty till the bye week and if he is healthy then bucky will be relieving him.

Right now the game is in warp speed to them and will slow down soon.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shutdown View Post
    I am concerned and want to know what you guys think..

First. Knowshon - 8 for 19 2.4avg

Thats BAD! I mean yeah, he is probably a little rusty and just needs to feel the offense out a bit more through reps in practice but shouldn't a talented back just be able to make things happen? I am a little worried.

Second. Ayers - LOST! Missing assignments, not applying pressure.

It hurts to see that. When you see a guy like Maualuga making an immediate impact or Orakapo. I'm not going to start cutting yet but I really hope we see some production out of them next week against the s**t stains.

On a positive note Fonzo looks great.
    I think it was Mayock that said that in THREE years, Ayers would be considered the best defensive player that came out of the 2009 draft. He didn't say he would be considered the best player drafted this year. Clearly, he thought Ayers was a great talent, and would ultimately be the best defensive player drafted in 2009, but was not as NFL ready as some other defensive players.

Around draft time, there was a lot of talk and examples given, of defensive ends drafted to be OLB's that took one or two years to become an impact player and to get comfortable with the move from 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB.

Moreno missed almost all of camp and preseason due to holdout and then injury. So, while there is a small chance he will be a bust, he is universally considered a future RB stud by NFL experts.

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

Moreno and Ayers have my attention right now. Not impressed with either. There are rookies all over the NFL out playing them right now so you can throw the rookie excuse out the door. Maybe they are just slow learners. It's hard to fully judge Moreno because we no longer use the zone blocking scheme with an offensive line that is built for it. We probably won't have an effective running game unless McD switches schemes and waits until next season to re-staff the o line.

16. The Following User High Fived broncofaninfla For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I'm not worried about Moreno or Ayers. Given time I believe both of these guys will be solid contributors.

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by broncofaninfla View Post
    Moreno and Ayers have my attention right now. Not impressed with either. There are rookies all over the NFL out playing them right now so you can throw the rookie excuse out the door. Maybe they are just slow learners. It's hard to fully judge Moreno because we no longer use the zone blocking scheme with an offensive line that is built for it. We probably won't have an effective running game unless McD switches schemes and waits until next season to re-staff the o line.
    Agreed. I think this next draft may be all about the hogs on both sides of the line.

19. The Following User High Fived SmilinAssasSin27 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by SmilinAssasSin27 View Post
    Agreed. I think this next draft may be all about the hogs on both sides of the line.
    It's sad when you realize just how good our line was last year in the different scheme. Seems like it would makes more sense to scheme around the players strengths rather than be stubborn about employing a system that was executed somewhere else with bigger slower bodies.

21. The Following User High Fived broncofaninfla For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by broncofaninfla View Post
    It's sad when you realize just how good our line was last year in the different scheme. Seems like it would makes more sense to scheme around the players strengths rather than be stubborn about employing a system that was executed somewhere else with bigger slower bodies.
    We had one of the best offensive lines last year with our scheme. I know we lost Kuper but I don't see any reason to change what's worked in the past. If something isn't broke don't fix it. If revamp the line it will only take longer to rebuild the franchise into a championship caliber team.

We need to use what we have while planing and building towards what we want.
    In Elway We Trust

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived CrazyHorse For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHorse View Post
    We had one of the best offensive lines last year with our scheme. I know we lost Kuper but I don't see any reason to change what's worked in the past. If something isn't broke don't fix it. If revamp the line it will only take longer to rebuild the franchise into a championship caliber team.

We need to use what we have while planing and building towards what we want.
    Agreed but I'm guessing McD doesn't agree. We barely used zone blocking in the preseason and didn't use it at all against Cinn. I would much rather we stick with what works VERY WELL with these guys and fuze it with his schemes.

25. The Following User High Fived broncofaninfla For This Post:

Still young, but yea, I'm not impressed at all with Moreno. I cannot believe he was touted as the best RB in this class and a franchise back at that. He isn't explosive at all, and he doesn't seem like the kind of RB you can give the ball 25 times and be successful.

IMHO, he's simply a good recieving RB that hopefully can make a play or two when coupled with another really good RB. Good RB to have, but for value as a top 15 RB? Hell no.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information