Thread: The first 10 picks

Post The first 10 picks

The Texans keep on saying it: they are willing to trade down. But they also expressed interest in Jadeveon Clowney, who most people think will be the top pick. On the other hand, someone said Clowney would be a bad fit in the 3-4 because he rarely dropped back at South Carolina. (I think that was former Texans GM Charley Casserly.) Also, there is a report that the Texans want Khalil Mack, who was a 3-4 OLB at the University of Buffalo. It looks to me like we will see the Falcons trade up to #1 to pick Clowney. But who knows what the Texans are thinking these days?

Of course, there are also the Rams, who also expressed interest in trading down. Offensive tackle is one of their needs, so they are expected to pick Auburn's Greg Robinson if they stay at #2. If the Texans do not pick Clowney, the Falcons would like to trade with the Rams to leapfrog the Jaguars, who need defensive line help. But another possibliity is trading to #1 to leapfrog the Rams for Robinson because their offensive line is terrible. It will be interesting to see how much the Falcons are willing to part with for either player and if they want to move up five or six spots.

Next is Jacksonville. The Jaguars sound like a team that will just pick the BAP regardless of position as long as he is not a left tackle or middle linebacker, but have not ruled out picking a QB first. They like Johnny Manziel, who many people think would be a good fit because he is the anti-Gabbert and brings excitement to the game. Coach Gus Bradley said he loves Manziel's confidence but would like to see more humility. He also said if Clowney could fix his work ethic issues, he would be a good pick. Not exactly ringing endorsements, but I don't know who the Jaguars like better.

The fourth team is Cleveland. With some extra picks to give up including 1-26, there was a lot of talk early on about the Browns trading with the Rams to leapfrog the Jaguars. That scared me to death until I read the new executive does not like Manziel. Could they still do that, but trade up for another player on Jacksonville's radar? They obviously are not picking a quarterback at #4, as they just signed two veterans quarterbacks, so I don't know what they want.

After them is Oakland. The Raiders said they want to pick an elite wide receiver - which, at #5, would mean Sammy Watkins because Mike Evans is a reach there. If that is smokescreen, who do they really want? Yes, the Raiders need a wide receiver. So do the Jaguars, of course, so they may miss out on Watkins and have to reach for Evans. I don't think they will pick a quarterback at #5 or know what else they need. Hopefully they will screw it up and draft a bust.

Stay tuned for picks 6-10.
    Bronco: The best horse in the NFL

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Probably wrong but...

1. HOU Mack
    2. STL Robinson
    3. ATL (in trade with JAX) Clowney
    4. CLE Manzeil
    5. MIN (in trade with OAK) Watkins
    6. JAX (in trade with ATL) Bortles
    7. TAM Donald
    8. OAK (in trade with MIN) Barr
    9. BUF Gilbert
    10. DET Lewan
    11. TEN Matthews
    12. NYG Martin
    13. DAL (in trade with STL) Ebron
    14. CHI Dennard
    15. STL (in trade with DAL) Pryor
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

How many ProBowl 3-T's does TB need Hoof?
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Defensive tackles? Name the other two.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

I said earlier the Falcons will probably trade up, but obviously there is a chance they can't. If they stay put at #6 TAMU OT Jake Matthews should be the pick.

At #7, the Buccaneers are on the long list of teams thinking about quarterbacks. According to one report, coach Lovie Smith talked about trading the pick. In another, he wants Johnny Manziel - if Manziel drops far enough, of course. I think they will miss out on Manziel and fill another need without trading the pick.

The Vikings are next at #8. From what coach Mike Zimmer is saying, it sounds like he does not want Manziel, who will probably be off the board anyway. So assuming I did not read smokescreen, the Vikings will pick Blake Bortles or Teddy Bridgewater instead to fix their quarterback problem.

The Bills are in Texans trade down rumors, but I don't see them moving up nine spots. Reportedly they like the local guy, OLB Khalil Mack. I assume it is all smokescreen and they will stay at #9 if they don't have a boatload of picks to give up.

The Lions have not talked about trading the #10 pick publicly, so I expect them to stay there and fill a need.
    Last edited by Touchdown Denver; 05-03-2014 at 12:02 AM.
    Bronco: The best horse in the NFL

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    Defensive tackles? Name the other two.
    Donald and Gerald McCoy play same position.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information