Thread: Atari Game Burial - Excavated!

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Default Atari Game Burial - Excavated!

To those who remember prior to the video game clash of 83-

Somewhat of an urban legend was that Atari dumped millions of unsold carts and other electronics at a New Mexico landfill. This has been much debated in gaming lore, that Atari pretty much dumped a warehouse full of unsold ET carts, that contributed to the crash of 83, and trucks came and dumped all of their merchandise.
    Repored that kids were rummaging through the trash daily, taking home the dumped goods.

It has been excavated and discovered, carts and other Atari items unearthed -

There is soon to be a documentary on Xbox Live covering this in its entirety.

I remember all of this. The questions, how bad ET and Pacman were, and how it led to Atari's downfall. ET is considered one of the worst, or THE worst game ever made.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/27/us-usa-videogames-et-idUSBREA3Q00J20140427
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

2. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

This whole thing is incredibly cool to me. My very first gaming experiences were on the Atari and Intellivision (I still have the latter) and this just gets me nostalgic as hell. The last good gaming documentary I saw was The King of Kong, so I am looking forward to this.

Also Shazam I literally just came across an update about the dig. They made it through the 90's pile early in the day and by mid afternoon it looks like they hit the jackpot. You can read about it here as well as see a few pics. You can see tons of Atari stuff littered about here, and word is they are finding lots of shrink wrapped E.T. games and other games as well: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/67096

The bottom right of this pic has a box of some Atari game that is easy to spot:

4. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

That is so cool. I never played video games but its awesome to find something like that. I think I might bury my old stuff and hope in 100 years someone digs it up lol Its like finding a time capsule

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I remember the commotion it made back then, what a smash Atari was, the crash, and the rebirth with the NES (I went with Sega lol).

Yes, it is incredibly cool to me too and I can't wait to see the show.

7. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

I'm still awesome at combat, defender, and missle command.

9. The Following User High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

I had frogger, qbert, and pacman.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I had frogger, qbert, and pacman.
    There are 2 Barcades (Arcade Bars) in Denver that have all the classic arcade games from the 80's and 90's. My favorite though is an update PacMan that I think came out in like 2010 which is a 4 player version with slick vector graphics. Cool stuff! Plus there is nothing like playing the old X-Men arcade or Street Fighter II with friends and a few beers on a real machine.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    I'm still awesome at combat, defender, and missle command.
    I was great at Defender. Would flip the game over and over.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information