Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: A few Baseball Questions

Quote Originally Posted by daveaitken18 View Post
    So the most pitches a batter can face is 6? 3 balls and 3 strikes? Is that right?
    technically speaking yes, but foul balls do not count as stirkes after the first one.

Watching the Angels/Tigers game now.

I am struggling to work out what qualifies as a ball and what is a strike - also the batter seems on occasion to just know that he is getting a ball and refuses to swing.

IN cricket there is whats called "a wide" this is when the bowler bowls the ball too wide of the batsman, there is also a "no ball" for a number of reasons including a dangerous bowl - i am presuming there are similar rules in Baseball, i just can't work it out at the minute
    ok, cricket is for fags. men that dress up to play a sport like dick in the bum period. so let's get that straight (and not the way you may be thinking .. you seem to like your cricket). but yeah, a batter has a quick eye obviously. I've seen the opposite happen where the batter doesn''t swing and theball curves in over the strike zone. watch for those too. you walk after 4 balls too

This is going to take some time for me to understand all these rules!

Thanks!
    you're not alone! hang in there you are doing great

4. The Following User High Fived BroncoNut For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

I decided to settle on following the Rockies - no idea why, maybe it is just the fact they come from Denver, i tried to look out for the Blue Jays and the Rays but never had the same interest. So now that's decided - i am a Rockies fan.

Also, i am starting to pick up other bits and bobs as i go, which is definitely making the game more enjoyable. The wife is not too pleased about the ESPN subscription either, just wait till i tell her that i now get all the college football as well.

As far as Cricket goes - a game i know well! I honestly believe a game of 20/20 Cricket is played at a faster pace than a game of Baseball. The 5 day test matches on the other hand are hard to watch unless you have an interest in the team playing and are very slow.

Whilst the cricket clothing may seem pretentious (although i am not sure what knee high socks, baggy trousers and a baseball shirt is, if not the same) it is tradition. BUT, a cricket ball is like a rock, it comes at the batsman at the same speed a baseball is pitched with the added varient of the bounce, the sport when played at a high level is every bit as skillful as baseball.

Anyway, stand by for my next series of baseball questions during the Rockies/Dodgers game!

6. The Following 5 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

The Twins and Rays are basically playing in an empty stadium - is attendance at baseball games poor?

The Twins and Rays are basically playing in an empty stadium - is attendance at baseball games poor?
    can be. a lot of us work during the day

9. The Following User High Fived BroncoNut For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

Day games during the week usually are - unless its a big rival or they are playing for something important like standings towards the end of the year
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    More Americans have been killed by New England Patriots players than by Ebola.

11. The Following User High Fived OB For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

It varies city by city. Some cities have notoriously poor attendance - Tampa Bay is one of those cities. Which is too bad, because they have a really strong organization.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

OB, slim

Adopted Bronco:
    All of them

Good choice with the Rockies. I have a soft spot for them too.

15. The Following User High Fived Jaws For This Post:

I decided to settle on following the Rockies - no idea why, maybe it is just the fact they come from Denver, i tried to look out for the Blue Jays and the Rays but never had the same interest. So now that's decided - i am a Rockies fan.

Also, i am starting to pick up other bits and bobs as i go, which is definitely making the game more enjoyable. The wife is not too pleased about the ESPN subscription either, just wait till i tell her that i now get all the college football as well.

As far as Cricket goes - a game i know well! I honestly believe a game of 20/20 Cricket is played at a faster pace than a game of Baseball. The 5 day test matches on the other hand are hard to watch unless you have an interest in the team playing and are very slow.

Whilst the cricket clothing may seem pretentious (although i am not sure what knee high socks, baggy trousers and a baseball shirt is, if not the same) it is tradition. BUT, a cricket ball is like a rock, it comes at the batsman at the same speed a baseball is pitched with the added varient of the bounce, the sport when played at a high level is every bit as skillful as baseball.

Anyway, stand by for my next series of baseball questions during the Rockies/Dodgers game!
    congratualtions on your declaration! my team swept the pirates in a double header last night. late 2nd game, real close, I think one extra inning

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by AGap View Post
    congratualtions on your declaration! my team swept the pirates in a double header last night. late 2nd game, real close, I think one extra inning
    Weiters walk off in the bottom of the 10th. Half game behind the Yankees and we have the Twins this weekend while the Yanks get the Rays

18. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Weiters walk off in the bottom of the 10th. Half game behind the Yankees and we have the Twins this weekend while the Yanks get the Rays
    that's right you pull for them in the Divison, yes that's correct.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

3 catches and the innnings ends - i get that.

What about strike outs? do the team just keep rotating through until they are all out - or is there a magic number that gets them all out on that?

3 catches and the innnings ends - i get that.

What about strike outs? do the team just keep rotating through until they are all out - or is there a magic number that gets them all out on that?
    3 outs per inning. It doesn't matter if it's a ground out, a pop out, or a strike out. You just keep cycling through the batting order. Most batters will have 4 to 5 at bats per game.

22. The Following 2 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

and does the next innings start off from where they left off in the batting order, or can you stick your best guy in first?

24. The Following 2 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information