Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: A few Baseball Questions

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Two, actually.

A foul tip on the third strike, caught by the catcher is also a strikeout.
    And don't forget that it's also possible to strike out and still make it to first base.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Two, actually.

A foul tip on the third strike, caught by the catcher is also a strikeout.
    And don't forget that it's also possible to strike out and still make it to first base.
    How does that occur?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by daveaitken18 View Post
    How does that occur?
    If you swing at a pitch and it constitutes strike three, but the catcher drops the ball, you're allowed to try to run to first base in certain situations - if no one is on that base, or if there is two outs. The defensive team can pick up the ball and throw you out, as if it is a ground ball, however.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

4. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

This is going to take some time for me to understand all these rules!

Thanks!

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

This is going to take some time for me to understand all these rules!

Thanks!
    I was trying not to confuse you. Stick to the basic balls-strikes count. Three is strikeout, four is walk. Then branch out from there.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

7. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

Dave - if you really want to be confused try scoring a game Does anyone even do that anymore
    More Americans have been killed by New England Patriots players than by Ebola.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

I was trying not to confuse you. Stick to the basic balls-strikes count. Three is strikeout, four is walk. Then branch out from there.
    Sounds like a plan - so in summary my baseball knowledge is as follows

3 strikes - out
    4 balls - walk
    A ball or a strike is declared by the umpire
    2 strikes and a foul ball via a bunt is also out
    3 strikes but a drop by the catcher could lead to the hitter running to first

Caught in the outfield - Out
    Hitter can have as many foul balls as he likes (less the bunt on strike 3)
    Ball gets caught at base while runner is on the move - out

OK - if that is correct, that will do me for today - next set of questions will come during my next game (i am away camping tonight so you all have a night off from helping me out!)

Cheers guys.
    Last edited by Valar Morghulis; 04-18-2014 at 07:44 AM.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

One other relatively simple but very important rule to remember is the difference between force outs and tag outs.

The batter upon hitting the ball has to run to first, it's his only option, therefore simply possessing the ball and touching first base (typically with your foot though you can touch with your glove also) is enough for an out. This is called a "force out".

A force out also occurs when there is not an open bag behind the runner for which he can retreat. In other words if there is a second runner on the base behind the runner ie a runner going from 1st to 2nd with the batter at 1st base, then the runner can be forced out at second.

The next way to get a runner out is with a tag out. If there is an open base behind the runner for which he can retreat then the defense can not get him out by simply stepping on the plate while possessing the ball but must actually touch (tag) the runner with his glove while possessing the ball in his glove or tagging him with the ball itself while in his hand and this must be done before the runner touches an open base.

1st base is considered occupied by the batter as soon as he hits a ball into play. In other words if the batter hits it in play a runner on first must go for second until the batter is deemed out. However, if the ball is caught in the air before it touches the ground, then the batter is out and the runners can only advance after the catch. If there is a runner at 3rd and the batter hits a fly ball (a ball hit high in the air) the runner will hold at third until the catch is made and if he believes he is fast enough to make it home and the ball was hit deep enough into the outfield, he will then try to advance to home plate and score the run. This is called "tagging up".

It seems like a lot but if you watch a game and think about these rules it will start to become apparent.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Watching the Angels/Tigers game now.

I am struggling to work out what qualifies as a ball and what is a strike - also the batter seems on occasion to just know that he is getting a ball and refuses to swing.

IN cricket there is whats called "a wide" this is when the bowler bowls the ball too wide of the batsman, there is also a "no ball" for a number of reasons including a dangerous bowl - i am presuming there are similar rules in Baseball, i just can't work it out at the minute

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strike_zone

Wikipedia actually has a pretty good defenition. The thing to remember however is that strikes and balls are called by a human ump so there is an error factor. Not every ump calls things the same. It is up to the pitchers and batters to adapt to how an ump is calling balls and strikes on any particular day.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Watching the Angels/Tigers game now.

I am struggling to work out what qualifies as a ball and what is a strike - also the batter seems on occasion to just know that he is getting a ball and refuses to swing.

IN cricket there is whats called "a wide" this is when the bowler bowls the ball too wide of the batsman, there is also a "no ball" for a number of reasons including a dangerous bowl - i am presuming there are similar rules in Baseball, i just can't work it out at the minute
    The letter of the law when it comes to a strike is that it should be between the knees and the numbers on the jersey and over the plate. The call of the umpire is subjective (it used to be REALLY subjective, but MLB has instituted a grading system based on computer triangulations).

If a player thinks a pitch is going to be a ball, it is to his advantage not to swing. That, of course, can bite a hitter in the but too, if a umpire considers the pitch a strike, but the batter thinks it's "outside the strike zone."

Like I said, I don't know cricket rules, but there's nothing requiring a player to swing at anything in baseball. If they get hit by a baseball, they get to go to first base.

17. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Baseball is a lot more fun to play rather than watch.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Baseball is a lot more fun to play rather than watch.
    Yeah, i can see that, although i am starting understand what is going on in the game - which is drastically improving my appreciation for the sport.

20. The Following 3 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Yeah, i can see that, although i am starting understand what is going on in the game - which is drastically improving my appreciation for the sport.
    It takes a lot of skill to be a damn good baseball player. Look at how many millions of kids play, and very few make it to the big league or even the D1 college level.

I always found the most frustrating part was to adapt to the different umpires and their strike zones.

22. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

Apparently pine tar on your neck is illegal
    More Americans have been killed by New England Patriots players than by Ebola.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information